Re: Another question in the same Jaataka

  • mahipaliha
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 3:52 PM

      > Dear Mahipaliha,
      > I looked at the Pali name, and also the style of your explanation.
      > person with great knowledge who can also explain it so well. A real
      > teacher. Are you a Pali teacher?

      Dear Nina,
      I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
      and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
      assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
      living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
      enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
      out of it when that element emerges.
      Kind regards.
      Mahipaliha
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 12:05 AM
        Dear Mahipaliha,
        you gave a very wise answer. I hope you are willing to assist us on
        this list also in the future and I am looking forward to your
        contributions, thanks.
        Nina.
        Op 2-mrt-2008, om 0:52 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

        > I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
        > and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
        > assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
        > living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
        > enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
        > out of it when that element emerges.

      • flrobert2000
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 11:26 PM
          Dear Mahipaliha,

          Sorry for calling you Venerable and for embarrassing you; I thought
          you were a monk. I actually live in Myanmar and all my teachers are
          monks, and it is a habit here to address monks in this way. I don't
          take it as veneration but more like a form of politeness (like the use
          of "vous" in French). In Burmese they use terms like Ashin Paya, Saya,
          Sayama, Saya Gyi, Daw, Ko...and I always get confused. It is the same
          the other way. People just can't call me directly by my normal name
          but add U, Sir, Mister or Teacher which I also find funny. Calling you
          Saya (Teacher) or even Saya Gyi (Great Teacher) would have been more
          appropriate!

          Thank you very much again for your clear explanations which I found
          very helpful.

          U Robert

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3 3:36 AM
            Dear Mahipaliha,

            I join Nina in looking forward to your contributions.