Re: [Pali] Re: Another question in the same Jaataka

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      Dear Mahipaliha,
      I looked at the Pali name, and also the style of your explanation. A
      person with great knowledge who can also explain it so well. A real
      teacher. Are you a Pali teacher?
      Nina.
      Op 29-feb-2008, om 14:11 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

      > You are the second person in this group to call me Ven. Mahipaliha.

    • mahipaliha
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

        > Dear Mahipaliha,
        > I looked at the Pali name, and also the style of your explanation.
        > person with great knowledge who can also explain it so well. A real
        > teacher. Are you a Pali teacher?

        Dear Nina,
        I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
        and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
        assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
        living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
        enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
        out of it when that element emerges.
        Kind regards.
        Mahipaliha
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
          Dear Mahipaliha,
          you gave a very wise answer. I hope you are willing to assist us on
          this list also in the future and I am looking forward to your
          contributions, thanks.
          Nina.
          Op 2-mrt-2008, om 0:52 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

          > I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
          > and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
          > assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
          > living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
          > enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
          > out of it when that element emerges.

        • flrobert2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
            Dear Mahipaliha,

            Sorry for calling you Venerable and for embarrassing you; I thought
            you were a monk. I actually live in Myanmar and all my teachers are
            monks, and it is a habit here to address monks in this way. I don't
            take it as veneration but more like a form of politeness (like the use
            of "vous" in French). In Burmese they use terms like Ashin Paya, Saya,
            Sayama, Saya Gyi, Daw, Ko...and I always get confused. It is the same
            the other way. People just can't call me directly by my normal name
            but add U, Sir, Mister or Teacher which I also find funny. Calling you
            Saya (Teacher) or even Saya Gyi (Great Teacher) would have been more
            appropriate!

            Thank you very much again for your clear explanations which I found
            very helpful.

            U Robert

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
              Dear Mahipaliha,

              I join Nina in looking forward to your contributions.