Re: Another question in the same Jaataka

  • mahipaliha
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "flrobert2000" <flrobert2000@...> wrote:

      > Dear Venerable Mahipaliha etc.

      Dear Friend,
      You are the second person in this group to call me Ven. Mahipaliha. It
      amused me at first, but it is becoming a bit embarassing, because I am
      not a monk and also I do not believe in veneration. Moreover
      mahipaliha is only my Yahoo username, being an abbreviation of my real-
      life name. It's OK calling me mahipaliha,but let's drop the venerable
      part. Thanks and best wishes.

      mahipaliha
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
        Dear Mahipaliha,
        I looked at the Pali name, and also the style of your explanation. A
        person with great knowledge who can also explain it so well. A real
        teacher. Are you a Pali teacher?
        Nina.
        Op 29-feb-2008, om 14:11 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

          > Dear Mahipaliha,
          > I looked at the Pali name, and also the style of your explanation.
          > person with great knowledge who can also explain it so well. A real
          > teacher. Are you a Pali teacher?

          Dear Nina,
          I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
          and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
          assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
          living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
          enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
          out of it when that element emerges.
          Kind regards.
          Mahipaliha
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
            Dear Mahipaliha,
            you gave a very wise answer. I hope you are willing to assist us on
            this list also in the future and I am looking forward to your
            contributions, thanks.
            Nina.
            Op 2-mrt-2008, om 0:52 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

            > I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
            > and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
            > assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
            > living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
            > enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
            > out of it when that element emerges.

          • flrobert2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              Dear Mahipaliha,

              Sorry for calling you Venerable and for embarrassing you; I thought
              you were a monk. I actually live in Myanmar and all my teachers are
              monks, and it is a habit here to address monks in this way. I don't
              take it as veneration but more like a form of politeness (like the use
              of "vous" in French). In Burmese they use terms like Ashin Paya, Saya,
              Sayama, Saya Gyi, Daw, Ko...and I always get confused. It is the same
              the other way. People just can't call me directly by my normal name
              but add U, Sir, Mister or Teacher which I also find funny. Calling you
              Saya (Teacher) or even Saya Gyi (Great Teacher) would have been more
              appropriate!

              Thank you very much again for your clear explanations which I found
              very helpful.

              U Robert

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                Dear Mahipaliha,

                I join Nina in looking forward to your contributions.