Plan 2008

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008

      we had a successful year in 2007, in which we completed The New Pali
      Course Part I, commenced The New Pali Course Part II and Warder's
      Introduction to Pali. This year, I hope to continue with what we have
      been doing, as I outline the plan below.

      Since the start of the year, we have seen a good range of discussion
      going on. It is a good sign that members are actively sharing their
      knowledge and opinions. So far, we have not veered off track, which is
      also a good sign. There has been some confusion over members' names.
      Because of the diversity of our group, we have members from various
      cultures, and hence different names. Members are very polite in
      addressing each other. In Asia, it is good to be polite, but overdoing
      it can be embarrassing. Members are encouraged to provide a
      self-introduction upon joining the group. I further suggest that
      members introduce themselves to each other when required. This helps
      to put formality at a minimum in subsequent exchanges. I also suggest
      members to use real names or be slightly creative in choosing a
      pen-name, but it is up to individuals.

      I have received feedback from members on the recently changes at
      Tipitaka.net. All positive feedback are always welcome. Feedback can
      be posted to the group, or to the bulletin board on
      http://www.tipitaka.net/

      Pali Study

      Pali study remains the main activity in the lineup for 2008. Florent
      and myself hope to complete The New Pali Course Part II this year. The
      target is achievable. We also hope that the postings generate some
      interest to people to advance their Pali knowledge to the intermediate
      level.

      What is covered in The New Pali Course Part II will be useful when we
      continue Warder's later in the year. I hope to catch up to where John
      (Kelly) finishes, and then proceed beyond. It will probably not be
      easy, because we will be dealing with extensive passages from the
      Tipitaka. So, there be a slow down in the pace we conduct Pali study
      in future as we move in more advance topics. We have to allow more
      time to finish each exercise, and also allow time for some discussion
      to happen.

      STAMP is a continuation and turning point in our Sutta translation
      exercises. So far, we have incorporated the trilinear format and a
      vocabulary list in our translations. This time, I hope to take a step
      further with linguistic analysis (syntax, semantics, morphology) and
      discourse analysis. We will also incorporate, when and where possible
      and crucial, comparative studies of parallel texts in other languages,
      historical and anthropological perspectives, as well as general
      discussion on methodologies and paradigms.

      STAMP will continue from where we left off in AN2. What we have done
      previously will remain as foundation works and reference. There is not
      yet a schedule for STAMP. Due to the load that I am having currently,
      I can only commence STAMP late 2008 or even 2009. I will inform the
      group when I have made further plans.

      Tipitaka Network

      Work will continue on Tipitaka.net. This include the ongoing work of
      reformatting existing Pali texts and solutions into Velthuis/Unicode,
      development of the bulletin board, and updating the contents of Sutta
      Spectra and Pali Scope. I have plans to generate new materials for
      Pali study, especially for beginners who need a bit of help. I will
      let the group know whenever such materials become available.

      The development of Pali Scope may take a different direction. This may
      possibly turn into a group project. I will let everyone knows when I
      have better plans.

      Thank you.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        thank you for outlining a plan for this year. Always good to do
        outlines like this.
        Nina.
        Op 29-feb-2008, om 23:36 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008

          thank you. And I look forward to your participation in future discussions.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
            just a remark about the homepage. There is a red line at the top, but
            newcomers may not know that you have to put the cursor on the second
            bar from left at the top to have the dropdown menue of Pali scape. I
            find the drop down a very good system and cleverly done, but one has
            to know. The date is given in white letters on the red line and this
            is clearer.
            Nina.
            Op 2-mrt-2008, om 3:58 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7 6:18 AM

              I have always wanted to create a list of all the sutta translation
              exercises we have undertaken. Due to a lack of time, this task has
              been shelved for quite a while.

              After deliberate considerations, I decided that the task may as well
              be a group's project. As such, I have created a table in the group
              database.

              As part of Yahoo!'s policy, the group's database is a member-only
              feature. I have set it to the "open-user" option, which allows members
              to access the table and add records. To do so, a member will require a
              Yahoo! login, which is another Yahoo! policy.

              Please use this table to enter the group's Pali-to-English sutta
              translations only, not links to external sites, or any other messages
              in the archive.

              Once completed, the table can be downloaded as a csv document.

              I look forward to members voluntarily making entries to the table, and
              also making good use of it in the not very distant future. Thank you.

            • johan wijaya
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10 9:34 PM

                Is it ok to list the Pali-Latin--English translation(s) that were asked the other time? As these translations are not in the 'sutta translation exercises' like you mentioned, I encourage myself to ask before adding the record.
                Thanks.

                With Metta,
                Jo.

                Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear friends,

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11 2:48 PM
                  Dear Jo,

                  yes, I consider such attempts as an exercise for us, even though they
                  may not be explicitly titled as exercises. As long as there is Pali
                  original text, followed by the English translation done by the group,
                  i.e. not copied from existing translations, it qualifies for the
                  database. This database table serves as a quick reference to
                  translations not found "elsewhere".

                  Please only enter the first mail of the thread, not all the replies to
                  the original mail. Thank you.