Samannaphala Sutta

  • Ngawang Dorje
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2008
      Hi,

      I understand that monks can eat from morning til noon. However, according to DN 2, monks can only eat once a day. Here I attached three translations. Which is the correct one?

      Thanks,
      Rahula

      Bhikkhu Bodhi has:
      “He eats only in one part of the day, refraining from food at night and from eating at improper times.”

      Bhikkhu Thanissaro has:
      "He eats only once a day, refraining from the evening meal and from food at the wrong time of day.”

      Maurice Walshe has:
      “He eats once a day and not at night, refraining from eating at improper times.”