Re: King's of the Buddha's Time by Bhikkhu Amritananda

  • dkotschessa
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2008
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Fernquest" <bayinnaung@...> wrote:

      > Dear List;
      >
      > "King's of the Buddha's Time" (1983) by Bhikkhu Amritananda of Nepal
      > (now deceased)
      >
      > This is a really fantastic book that I would recommend to anyone
      > interested in Pali literature.
      >
      > It is full of useful background information and puts Jataka stories
      > into context.
      >
      > Often you hear names when reading the Tipitaka that can sometimes
      not
      > have meaning for the reader due to limitations in knowledge. This
      book
      > weaves together disparate parts of the Tipitaka into biographies and
      > narratives and provides this background info.
      >
      > It only cost 80 baht (2.5 US dollars) at the bookstore across from
      Wat
      > Benjamapopit (sorry for spelling) which leads me to believe that the
      > price was set more to cover the cost of paper than to make any
      profit,
      > with an aim to disseminating this work as widely as possible.
      >
      > Which leads me to conclude that a lot of authors of works probably
      > would be open to making their work available on the internet, if
      asked
      > politely with objective of non-profit dissemination made clear.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Jon

      Jon,

      How would somebody from the U.S. go about getting a copy? When I
      search for it online it leads me back here to this post!

      -DaveK
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2008
        Dhivan has done a great paper on "Why did Brahma ask the Buddha to teach?"

        Those interesting in reading about the problem passage that Dhivan and I are
        talking about,
        can read a bit of what I have done here:

        http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/S6.1_Ayacana_S_sd12.2.pdf

        http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/M26_Ariyapariyesana_S_sd1.11.pdf

        http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/sd12.1_Why_the_Buddha_hesitated.pdf

        This is still an interesting open research, so your views and suggestions
        are welcome.

        With metta,

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

      • "Kåre A. Lie"
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2008
          At 16:52 10.02.2008 +0000, you wrote:
          >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Fernquest" <bayinnaung@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear List;
          > >
          > > "King's of the Buddha's Time" (1983) by Bhikkhu Amritananda of Nepal
          > > (now deceased)
          > >
          > > This is a really fantastic book that I would recommend to anyone
          > > interested in Pali literature.
          > >
          > > It is full of useful background information and puts Jataka stories
          > > into context.
          > >
          > > Often you hear names when reading the Tipitaka that can sometimes
          >not
          > > have meaning for the reader due to limitations in knowledge. This
          >book
          > > weaves together disparate parts of the Tipitaka into biographies and
          > > narratives and provides this background info.
          > >
          > > It only cost 80 baht (2.5 US dollars) at the bookstore across from
          >Wat
          > > Benjamapopit (sorry for spelling) which leads me to believe that the
          > > price was set more to cover the cost of paper than to make any
          >profit,
          > > with an aim to disseminating this work as widely as possible.
          > >
          > > Which leads me to conclude that a lot of authors of works probably
          > > would be open to making their work available on the internet, if
          >asked
          > > politely with objective of non-profit dissemination made clear.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Jon
          >

          >Jon,
          >
          >How would somebody from the U.S. go about getting a copy? When I
          >search for it online it leads me back here to this post!
          >
          >-DaveK

          It seems to be available online here:

          http://www.bdcu.org.au/jdhcollection/catalogue.html

          This is a pay site, so I have not looked further into it.

          But please note the correct spelling of the title:

          Kings of the Buddha's Time (not King's ...)

          I would, however, also be interested in knowing how to obtain the book.
          Reading on the screen may be OK some times, but I prefer that old-fashioned
          technology called "books" ... :-)

          Yours,

          Kåre A. Lie
          http://www.lienet.no

        • Jon Fernquest
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2008
            DavidK wrote: "How would somebody from the U.S. go about getting a copy?
            When I search for it online it leads me back here to this post!"

            Google books provides some places you can order it from:

            http://books.google.com/books?id=ruMGAAAAYAAJ&q=Kings+of+the+Buddha's+Ti\
            me+Amritananda&dq=Kings+of+the+Buddha's+Time+Amritananda&pgis=1

            Interlibrary loan at your public library sometimes works.

            The copy I bought was only 80 baht in Bangkok at the bookstore of:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahamakut_Buddhist_University

            Sincerely,
            Jon Fernquest

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "dkotschessa" <dkotschessa@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Fernquest" bayinnaung@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear List;
            > >
            > > "King's of the Buddha's Time" (1983) by Bhikkhu Amritananda of Nepal
            > > (now deceased)
            > >
            > > This is a really fantastic book that I would recommend to anyone
            > > interested in Pali literature.
            > >
            > > It is full of useful background information and puts Jataka stories
            > > into context.
            > >
            > > Often you hear names when reading the Tipitaka that can sometimes
            > not
            > > have meaning for the reader due to limitations in knowledge. This
            > book
            > > weaves together disparate parts of the Tipitaka into biographies and
            > > narratives and provides this background info.
            > >
            > > It only cost 80 baht (2.5 US dollars) at the bookstore across from
            > Wat
            > > Benjamapopit (sorry for spelling) which leads me to believe that the
            > > price was set more to cover the cost of paper than to make any
            > profit,
            > > with an aim to disseminating this work as widely as possible.
            > >
            > > Which leads me to conclude that a lot of authors of works probably
            > > would be open to making their work available on the internet, if
            > asked
            > > politely with objective of non-profit dissemination made clear.
            > >
            > > Sincerely,
            > > Jon
            >

            > Jon,
            >
            > How would somebody from the U.S. go about getting a copy? When I
            > search for it online it leads me back here to this post!
            >
            > -DaveK

          • Jon Fernquest
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2008
              >http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/S6.1_Ayacana_S_sd12.2.pdf
              >http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/M26_Ariyapariyesana_S_sd1.11.pdf
              >http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/sd12.1_Why_the_Buddha_hesitated.pdf

              I'm getting a corrupt fonts message when I read these files.
              Do you need to have certain fonts installed?
              What version of Adobe's reader do you use?

              Thank you for sharing this.

              [BTW if you carried on your Pali conversation with English translation
              underneath, it would be like teaching conversational Pali, wouldn't
              it? I haven't studied enough to understand some of the grammar+vocab.
              It would be interesting to see a transcript + translation of Pali
              conversations]

              Sincerely,
              Jon Fernquest

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2008
                Jon,

                Try installing Times Extended Roman, which I use. It is available on the
                same
                website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
                with instructions.

                Contact again if you still have difficulties.

                Piya Tan