Re: Tipitaka Editions, variants, phonology, etc.

  • gnosis.panya
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
      No no Piya.
      No need to apologize. I am not offended.
      Even if I was, I see no reality that persuades me to take it
      seriously, nor personnally.
      Mistake perhaps.

      I was born with a brain capable of many things but the heart capable
      of many more, I wish to do some things and not others.

      May we work together to build this friendship. :)

      You are forgiven certainly.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

      > Dear Gnosis.panya,
      >
      > In that case, i deeply apologize. May others benefit from my errors.
      >
      > Khamatu ma.m ~naa.na,pa~n~na.
      >
      > Piya Tan
      >

      > On Feb 4, 2008 8:46 AM, gnosis.panya <gnosis.panya@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Thankyou very much for your answer Dmytro. That is a good help.
      > >
      > > Double vowels occur sometimes and i think they are perhps typos
      and
      > > not scriptural errors in some of the scripts the writing of two
      > > vowels in that way is not really possible so would ned little
      > > correction. It is knowing what to correct to that is difficult
      > > without a correct version.
      > >
      > > Hi there Piya. How are you?
      > > I am not here to be impolite or to hide anything from anyone.
      > > I have no method of deception and using an "alias" is certain not
      of
      > > either.I think there needs not be any debate as to wether the
      > > internet is a a safe place or not.It is not like in real life
      where
      > > being in the company of people doing naughty things will have a
      > > negative influence on oneself but simply by using ones name
      people do
      > > many underhanded things and I feel no problem with doing that.
      > >
      > > By calling myself gnosis.panya I do not mean to say I am all wise
      and
      > > all knowing. But merely that my heart feels that what this world
      > > needs is wisdom. Certainly also compassion, strength, virtue and
      > > charity. Monks have different names and noone accuses them of
      being
      > > secretive by the use of them.
      > >
      > > I am no monk but does a name make or break a monk?
      > >
      > > I offer you my good intentions Piya and there is nothing else I
      can
      > > give.
      > > May you live a live of love and may you find what you are looking
      for.

      > > On that note I shall go shopping for food.
      > >
      > > May you all be happy and have a good day, rain or not.
      > >
      > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dmytro O.
      > > Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@>
      > >
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Gnosis,

      > > out.
      > > >
      > > > No.

      > > proper
      > > >
      > > > For example?

      > > > Perhaps.

      > > > Not available for download
      > > > http://www.mahidol.ac.th/budsir/budsir-main.html

      > > > Not available for download
      > > > http://www.dhammasociety.org/mds/

      > > > http://www.buddhistethics.org/palicanon.html

      > > > http://www.buddhanet-de.net/ancient-buddhist-texts/Buddhist-
      Texts/

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
        Yes, right in every way: your happiness is very important to me.

        If only there are more wise people, the world would be such a happier place.

        Piya Tan

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
          Opinions may differ and life is all the richer for it but true
          compassion is not an opinion (in my opinion), just a flower waiting
          to be born in our hearts.

          Now Piya, please tell me about your experiences with pali and the
          tipitaka and any hints and some less than obvious things you have
          noticed.

          How close can learning through the books come to reading th tipitaka?

          Also, do you know of any metre studies that i can use to read outloud
          the text so I can use my ear to train myself in the use of the
          language? (I use audio learning very well.)

          Thanks very much.

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2008
            Dear gnosis.panya,

            it would be lovely if you described the process / steps you follow for audio
            learning. many of us and I for sure would bnefit from applying your method.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
              I am not totally sure or all the hows of my learning process.
              Always been a musical person and hypersensitive to sound.
              Learning fast has always come natural to me.

              I can give some advice to one who would like to memorize texts or
              learn language.
              Perhaps I will be rehashing some advice given online but I will try
              to explain what happens.

              I do not speak any foreign languages fluently due to life
              circumstances so I am no "guru". I have yet to study any intensively.

              For example: in Lithuanian I only know the name of the language and
              how to say excuse me. No grammatical awareness.
              Hebrew: A few dozen sentences. Slight grammatical knowledge.
              German. Many words. Quite a few sentence structures are understood.
              About 20 or 30 more in between those. Some I can read some I can only
              pronounce.

              Every few weeks I simply listen to language audio.
              If I cannot find any there is a setback but not a huge one if the
              language is somewhat phonetic. Pali is good in this circumstance.

              In that case I read out many words slowly and think of all the indian
              accents of people I know.There will have been changes over the years
              but it does help to get it into my head.After a while i felt the S-O-
              V structure getting into my head.
              I knew where to put things.

              I am interested in memory training but I find myself moving away from
              mnemonics and onto rote memory training.I memorized For Whom The Bell
              Tolls - John Donne in about 3 readings outloud. (89 words, 14
              lines)Repetition is key, review is the foundation.

              For languages place new words in old structures.

              Example:
              I am cooking.
              understand that sentence.
              while cooking say it outloud or internally.

              then when writing replace that one word.

              In some languages that use dual verbs that can be difficult to start
              with but pali i think does not have that problem.

              I am not totally sure what I do that works so well but I just hear,
              repeat, imagine with many senses and I know it.

              Not sure if any of that is the slightest perhaps we can chat online
              some more about it and I can get feedback from you to help give me
              the motivations needed to look deeper at the proccess.

              Audio is only my dominant learning style but I build the others
              constantly aswell. That is making hearing stronger.

              Have a good day there P G Dave.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
                gnosis.panya & other group members,

                is anyone aware of any audio lessons for learning pali in a natural style --
                perhaps somewhat akin to the way a child learns a language.

                On 2/7/08, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > some more about it and I can get feedback from you to help give me
                > > the motivations needed to look deeper at the proccess.
                > >
                > > Audio is only my dominant learning style but I build the others
                > > constantly aswell. That is making hearing stronger.
                > >
                > > Have a good day there P G Dave.
                > >
                > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "P G Dave"
                > > <pgd2507@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Dear gnosis.panya,
                > > >
                > > > it would be lovely if you described the process / steps you follow
                > > for audio
                > > > learning. many of us and I for sure would bnefit from applying your
                > > method.
                > > >
                > > > metta,

                > > waiting

                > > tipitaka?

                > > outloud

                > > <Pali%40yahoogroups.com><Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Piya Tan"

              • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Hi Gnosis,

                  > Also, do you know of any metre studies that i can use to read outloud
                  > the text so I can use my ear to train myself in the use of the
                  > language? (I use audio learning very well.)

                  You may find useful Pali chanting:

                  http://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/modules/mylinks/viewcat.php?cid=150

                  Best wishes, Dmytro
                • gnosis.panya
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2008
                    These resources and very well put together.
                    Thankyou Dmytro.

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...>