Re: The New Pali Course Part II [4-8/8]

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 3, 2008

      my apologies for this late reply. I am back in Singapore for the
      Chinese New Year holidays since Monday, and have been busy shopping,
      visiting family and friends, and catching up on some other stuff. I
      got to watch CNN live telecast of United States President Bush's final
      State of the Union Address on Tuesday, and was glad to hear him
      mentioned Burma (once). Hopefully, he will do something to improve the
      situation in Burma before his presidential term ends this year.

      The reference paragraph is from the first book, which is available
      here: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali1.10.cdv

      I am currently posting the second book, or Part II, to the list. As
      mentioned sometimes earlier, there is also a Part III, which discusses
      advance topics but there is no exercises in the book. Since I am now
      in Singapore, and the book is sitting on my shelf, I shall provide a
      quick overview of its contents, as follows:

      The book deals with advance topics in Pali, and the chapters vary very
      much in length. Chapter 1 deals with uncommon word forms, such as
      saa, kara, mahaaraaja, santa, etc. Chapters II to VI are short
      chapters on verbs, syntax of nouns, and sentence analysis. Chapter VII
      contains a list of indeclinables and their definitions. Chapter IX
      explains idioms and antithetics.

      Just the first paras I did not get. The other paras with examples are
      clear. Which book do you refer to? Sorry, I missed it.

      > The causal suffixes and the method of forming causal verbs are given
      in §74 of the First Book.
    • Jon Fernquest
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2008
        Thanks Yong Peng,

        For this link and the description of the book:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali1.10.cdv

        I find your simple Pali sentences with English translation, particulary in
        the exercise keys, the most effective self-learning tool, to gradually build
        familiarity with new vocabulary and vocabulary, and then self-test myself.

        I really wasn't getting anywhere until I found these.

        Thanks again,
        Jon Fernquest

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 6, 2008
          First of all a happy New Year. I know that you always go to Singapore
          and I am sure you have a good time there.
          Thank you for the link. Under which heading is this on the home page?
          I tried to find it, but it is hard.
          Nina.
          Op 3-feb-2008, om 19:15 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 6, 2008
            Dear Nina, Jon, Piya and friends,

            happy Chinese New Year to all.

            Nina, the way to get to the page is as follows:

            Homepage > PaliScape > Pali Synthesis
            > [left-hand column] The New Pali Course Part I
            > [right-hand column] Part 10

            Jon, I am glad that the online resources is of good to you.

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 7, 2008
              thank you.
              On my computer the letters Paliscape are almost the same dark green
              as the background, so I forgot to take it. I shall watch out more.
              Nina.
              Op 7-feb-2008, om 3:27 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008

                thanks for your feedback. I have taken note of this and will make some
                adjustments to the colour scheme of the affected webpages.