Re: [Pali] Tipitaka Editions, variants, phonology, etc.

  • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Gnosis,

      > The text has many difficulties (life also) that are hard to work out.
      > Such as:
      > is the j a 'z' sound?

      No.

      > why are there a lot of 2 vowel pairs even though it is not proper
      > pali.

      For example?

      > If one is to memorize, must one go with one variant over another?

      Perhaps.

      > Where can I find each of these textual tradition for download?
      >
      > Thai edition

      Not available for download
      http://www.mahidol.ac.th/budsir/budsir-main.html

      > Sixth Council edition

      Not available for download
      http://www.dhammasociety.org/mds/

      http://www.buddhistethics.org/palicanon.html

      http://www.buddhanet-de.net/ancient-buddhist-texts/Buddhist-Texts/BT-index.htm

      > I am in the process of creating a nicely organized version of the one
      > at tipitaka.org

      I would recommend
      http://www.tipitaka.org/cst/

      See also:
      http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
      http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showforum=50

      Best wishes,
      Dmytro
    • gnosis.panya
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2008
        Thankyou very much for your answer Dmytro. That is a good help.

        Double vowels occur sometimes and i think they are perhps typos and
        not scriptural errors in some of the scripts the writing of two
        vowels in that way is not really possible so would ned little
        correction. It is knowing what to correct to that is difficult
        without a correct version.

        Hi there Piya. How are you?
        I am not here to be impolite or to hide anything from anyone.
        I have no method of deception and using an "alias" is certain not of
        either.I think there needs not be any debate as to wether the
        internet is a a safe place or not.It is not like in real life where
        being in the company of people doing naughty things will have a
        negative influence on oneself but simply by using ones name people do
        many underhanded things and I feel no problem with doing that.

        By calling myself gnosis.panya I do not mean to say I am all wise and
        all knowing. But merely that my heart feels that what this world
        needs is wisdom. Certainly also compassion, strength, virtue and
        charity. Monks have different names and noone accuses them of being
        secretive by the use of them.

        I am no monk but does a name make or break a monk?

        I offer you my good intentions Piya and there is nothing else I can
        give.
        May you live a live of love and may you find what you are looking for.

        On that note I shall go shopping for food.

        May you all be happy and have a good day, rain or not.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...>

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2008
          Dear Gnosis.panya,

          In that case, i deeply apologize. May others benefit from my errors.

          Khamatu ma.m ~naa.na,pa~n~na.

          Piya Tan

          --
          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644

        • gnosis.panya
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
            No no Piya.
            No need to apologize. I am not offended.
            Even if I was, I see no reality that persuades me to take it
            seriously, nor personnally.
            Mistake perhaps.

            I was born with a brain capable of many things but the heart capable
            of many more, I wish to do some things and not others.

            May we work together to build this friendship. :)

            You are forgiven certainly.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
              Yes, right in every way: your happiness is very important to me.

              If only there are more wise people, the world would be such a happier place.

              Piya Tan

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
                Opinions may differ and life is all the richer for it but true
                compassion is not an opinion (in my opinion), just a flower waiting
                to be born in our hearts.

                Now Piya, please tell me about your experiences with pali and the
                tipitaka and any hints and some less than obvious things you have
                noticed.

                How close can learning through the books come to reading th tipitaka?

                Also, do you know of any metre studies that i can use to read outloud
                the text so I can use my ear to train myself in the use of the
                language? (I use audio learning very well.)

                Thanks very much.

              • P G Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Dear gnosis.panya,

                  it would be lovely if you described the process / steps you follow for audio
                  learning. many of us and I for sure would bnefit from applying your method.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
                    I am not totally sure or all the hows of my learning process.
                    Always been a musical person and hypersensitive to sound.
                    Learning fast has always come natural to me.

                    I can give some advice to one who would like to memorize texts or
                    learn language.
                    Perhaps I will be rehashing some advice given online but I will try
                    to explain what happens.

                    I do not speak any foreign languages fluently due to life
                    circumstances so I am no "guru". I have yet to study any intensively.

                    For example: in Lithuanian I only know the name of the language and
                    how to say excuse me. No grammatical awareness.
                    Hebrew: A few dozen sentences. Slight grammatical knowledge.
                    German. Many words. Quite a few sentence structures are understood.
                    About 20 or 30 more in between those. Some I can read some I can only
                    pronounce.

                    Every few weeks I simply listen to language audio.
                    If I cannot find any there is a setback but not a huge one if the
                    language is somewhat phonetic. Pali is good in this circumstance.

                    In that case I read out many words slowly and think of all the indian
                    accents of people I know.There will have been changes over the years
                    but it does help to get it into my head.After a while i felt the S-O-
                    V structure getting into my head.
                    I knew where to put things.

                    I am interested in memory training but I find myself moving away from
                    mnemonics and onto rote memory training.I memorized For Whom The Bell
                    Tolls - John Donne in about 3 readings outloud. (89 words, 14
                    lines)Repetition is key, review is the foundation.

                    For languages place new words in old structures.

                    Example:
                    I am cooking.
                    understand that sentence.
                    while cooking say it outloud or internally.

                    then when writing replace that one word.

                    In some languages that use dual verbs that can be difficult to start
                    with but pali i think does not have that problem.

                    I am not totally sure what I do that works so well but I just hear,
                    repeat, imagine with many senses and I know it.

                    Not sure if any of that is the slightest perhaps we can chat online
                    some more about it and I can get feedback from you to help give me
                    the motivations needed to look deeper at the proccess.

                    Audio is only my dominant learning style but I build the others
                    constantly aswell. That is making hearing stronger.

                    Have a good day there P G Dave.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
                      gnosis.panya & other group members,

                      is anyone aware of any audio lessons for learning pali in a natural style --
                      perhaps somewhat akin to the way a child learns a language.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
                        Hi Gnosis,

                        > Also, do you know of any metre studies that i can use to read outloud
                        > the text so I can use my ear to train myself in the use of the
                        > language? (I use audio learning very well.)

                        You may find useful Pali chanting:

                        http://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/modules/mylinks/viewcat.php?cid=150

                        Best wishes, Dmytro
                      • gnosis.panya
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7, 2008
                          These resources and very well put together.
                          Thankyou Dmytro.