Re: [Pali] Dhammapada Commentary - free online

  • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3 7:24 AM
      Dear Jon,

      > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
      > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
      > Legends):
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

      Thank you!

      > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

      At:
      http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml

      Sincerely,
      Dmytro
    • Ong Teng Kee
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6 4:23 AM
        PTS didn't give them any permission to put thier texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now

        "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote: Dear Jon,

        > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
        > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
        > Legends):
        >
        > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

        Thank you!

        > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

        At:
        http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml

        Sincerely,
        Dmytro

      • Jon Fernquest
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6 5:31 AM
          Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
          texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"

          I think you are needlessly frightening people.
          It is not even clear what you are referring to.

          You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the Chaṭṭha
          Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary English translation
          was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
          copyright check on all its works.

          If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is in fact based on the 6th
          Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
          a copyright over it?

          If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
          published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
          edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
          assert copyright over it?

          I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
          theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana, although it would be interesting
          to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
          exist.

          Sincerely,
          Jon Fernquest

          > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:
          Dear Jon,

          > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
          > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
          > > Legends):
          > >
          > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
          >
          > At:
          > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Dmytro

        • Ong Teng Kee
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6 3:49 PM
            Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

            Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6 5:31 PM
              Apparently, the Dhammakaya group in Thailand (reputed to be one of the
              wealthiest
              groups that even takes over agricultural land from the poor farmers) has
              digitalized
              the whole of the PTS translations with their permission. However, I am told
              that
              although the PTS regrets such an action, they do not take legal action.

              In Malaysia where I used to word, there is a popular tendency with the Sri
              Lankan
              foreign missionaries to makes copies of local works and simply put their
              temple
              name on it (promote their reputation). Understandably, without proper role
              models or
              teachings, the local Buddhists too have a habit of simply using copyrighted
              materials
              without due credit, or sometimes even putting their own name to it.

              While it is true that Dharma is uncopyrightable, the person's work can be.
              The idea
              of citing sources and giving due credit is to so that readers and students
              know whose
              arguments it is, and helps in further discussion.

              Piya Tan

              The Minding Centre
              Singapore 650644
              Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

            • Jon Fernquest
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6 5:45 PM
                Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a
                century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the
                books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend
                the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the
                journals?"

                1. If copyright has expired then the writer and their heirs no longer
                own rights to the work.
                2. Actually giving away free ebooks while selling paper books is a
                viable business model, the most famous case being Bruce Eckel's
                "Thinking in C++" or "Thinking in Java."
                http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

                Many people buy paper copies of books, if they're cheap enough,
                because then you can bring the book to a park or a cafe or read it on
                the subway, and using the computer in public places makes one look
                like a geek, and you can make notes in a book, but if you have to
                travel, a two ton library is hard to move around with.

                But the question you ask raises some interesting questions, like how
                much value do you have to add to a work to own it? That someone could
                "own" the Tipitaka does seem a little horrible.

                As many authors point out, the Tipitaka is actually not a unified body
                of texts, there are many different recensions and copies that differ,
                and sometimes historically, references to the Tipitaka are referring
                only to the very small part of it, for instance in remote Laos. In
                local monasteries a full set of Jatakas was probably more important
                than a full Abhidharma set, I guess. I'm interested in these different
                recensions and whether these differences can be used for dating. If
                anyone knows about this, please share it.

                Sincerely,
                Jon Fernquest

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ong Teng Kee <ongtkee@...> wrote:

                > Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but
                they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like
                the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to
                buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

                > Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote:
                Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
                > texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"
                >
                > I think you are needlessly frightening people.
                > It is not even clear what you are referring to.
                >
                > You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the
                Chaṭṭha
                > Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary

                English translation
                > was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
                > copyright check on all its works.
                >
                > If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is
                in fact based on the 6th
                > Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
                > a copyright over it?
                >
                > If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
                > published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
                > edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
                > assert copyright over it?
                >
                > I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
                > theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana,
                although it would be interesting
                > to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
                > exist.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                > Jon Fernquest
                >

                > > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@> wrote:
                > Dear Jon,
                > >
                > > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation
                of the
                > > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
                > > > Legends):
                > > >
                > > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
                > >
                > > Thank you!
                > >
                > > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
                > >
                > > At:
                > > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
                > >
                > > Sincerely,
                > > Dmytro

              • Ong Teng Kee
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6 6:36 PM
                  If PTS agree that their books can be freely downloaded they would have put it on their own site.They don't need some guys from Canada to do it for them.
                  When the books are reprinted recently,I don't think the rule of 95 years after publication can still be applied.

                  Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a