Introduction new member

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2002
      Dear Pali List Group,
      I would like to introduce myself. I am a Dutch woman, 74 years old, living
      in the Netherlands. I learnt Pali first by myself with Warder, and started
      to read by myself Pali and English next to it, during many years, off and
      on. I became a member of the psg and found there a great deal of inspiration
      and support from Jim. I see more and more the benefit of Pali so that I can
      go deeper into the meaning of the Buddhist texts. To me Pali is
      indispensable, and I especially want to read commentaries, since there are
      not enough Enlish translations of them.
      Jim and Rob K adviced me to become a member of your group, and I like your
      main discussion topics.
      See below for answers:

      op 23-09-2002 19:05 schreef Pali Moderator op Pali-owner@yahoogroups.com:

      > Our main discussion topics:
      > 1. Tipitaka and sutta study;
      > 2. Pali language and literature;
      > 3. Theravada Buddhism;
      > 4. Samatha and Vipassana meditation;
      > 5. Sutta study tools and methodology;
      > 6. Tipitaka translation theory and practice.
      >
      > For a start, you may want to introduce yourself to the group, with the help of
      > one or more of the following questions:
      > 1. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language?
      N: learning.
      > 2. Do you read and study the Tipitaka?
      N: I keep on reading a little at a time, as often as I can.
      > 3. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka?
      N: No, only some pieces given by Jim which I greatly enjoyed doing.
      Looking forward to learning from you all,
      Nina