Re: [Pali] Dhammapada Commentary - free online

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Thanks Jon for alerting us to this wonderful Dharma gift!

      Although by current standards Burlingame translation (done just after WWW I)
      misses out on many of the finer details, the stories are still worth
      reading.

      Thanks again on behalf of other lurkers,

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644

    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
        Dear Jon,

        > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
        > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
        > Legends):
        >
        > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

        Thank you!

        > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

        At:
        http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml

        Sincerely,
        Dmytro
      • Ong Teng Kee
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
          PTS didn't give them any permission to put thier texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now

          "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote: Dear Jon,

          > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
          > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
          > Legends):
          >
          > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

          Thank you!

          > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

          At:
          http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml

          Sincerely,
          Dmytro

        • Jon Fernquest
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
            Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
            texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"

            I think you are needlessly frightening people.
            It is not even clear what you are referring to.

            You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the Chaṭṭha
            Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary English translation
            was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
            copyright check on all its works.

            If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is in fact based on the 6th
            Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
            a copyright over it?

            If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
            published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
            edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
            assert copyright over it?

            I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
            theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana, although it would be interesting
            to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
            exist.

            Sincerely,
            Jon Fernquest

            > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:
            Dear Jon,

            > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
            > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
            > > Legends):
            > >
            > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
            >
            > At:
            > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Dmytro

          • Ong Teng Kee
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
              Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

              Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                Apparently, the Dhammakaya group in Thailand (reputed to be one of the
                wealthiest
                groups that even takes over agricultural land from the poor farmers) has
                digitalized
                the whole of the PTS translations with their permission. However, I am told
                that
                although the PTS regrets such an action, they do not take legal action.

                In Malaysia where I used to word, there is a popular tendency with the Sri
                Lankan
                foreign missionaries to makes copies of local works and simply put their
                temple
                name on it (promote their reputation). Understandably, without proper role
                models or
                teachings, the local Buddhists too have a habit of simply using copyrighted
                materials
                without due credit, or sometimes even putting their own name to it.

                While it is true that Dharma is uncopyrightable, the person's work can be.
                The idea
                of citing sources and giving due credit is to so that readers and students
                know whose
                arguments it is, and helps in further discussion.

                Piya Tan

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a
                  century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the
                  books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend
                  the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the
                  journals?"

                  1. If copyright has expired then the writer and their heirs no longer
                  own rights to the work.
                  2. Actually giving away free ebooks while selling paper books is a
                  viable business model, the most famous case being Bruce Eckel's
                  "Thinking in C++" or "Thinking in Java."
                  http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

                  Many people buy paper copies of books, if they're cheap enough,
                  because then you can bring the book to a park or a cafe or read it on
                  the subway, and using the computer in public places makes one look
                  like a geek, and you can make notes in a book, but if you have to
                  travel, a two ton library is hard to move around with.

                  But the question you ask raises some interesting questions, like how
                  much value do you have to add to a work to own it? That someone could
                  "own" the Tipitaka does seem a little horrible.

                  As many authors point out, the Tipitaka is actually not a unified body
                  of texts, there are many different recensions and copies that differ,
                  and sometimes historically, references to the Tipitaka are referring
                  only to the very small part of it, for instance in remote Laos. In
                  local monasteries a full set of Jatakas was probably more important
                  than a full Abhidharma set, I guess. I'm interested in these different
                  recensions and whether these differences can be used for dating. If
                  anyone knows about this, please share it.

                  Sincerely,
                  Jon Fernquest

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ong Teng Kee <ongtkee@...> wrote:

                  > Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but
                  they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like
                  the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to
                  buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

                  > Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote:
                  Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
                  > texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"
                  >
                  > I think you are needlessly frightening people.
                  > It is not even clear what you are referring to.
                  >
                  > You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the
                  Chaṭṭha
                  > Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary

                  English translation
                  > was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
                  > copyright check on all its works.
                  >
                  > If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is
                  in fact based on the 6th
                  > Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
                  > a copyright over it?
                  >
                  > If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
                  > published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
                  > edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
                  > assert copyright over it?
                  >
                  > I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
                  > theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana,
                  although it would be interesting
                  > to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
                  > exist.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Jon Fernquest
                  >

                  > > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@> wrote:
                  > Dear Jon,
                  > >
                  > > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation
                  of the
                  > > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
                  > > > Legends):
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
                  > >
                  > > Thank you!
                  > >
                  > > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
                  > >
                  > > At:
                  > > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
                  > >
                  > > Sincerely,
                  > > Dmytro

                • Ong Teng Kee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                    If PTS agree that their books can be freely downloaded they would have put it on their own site.They don't need some guys from Canada to do it for them.
                    When the books are reprinted recently,I don't think the rule of 95 years after publication can still be applied.

                    Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a