Dhammapada Commentary - free online

  • Jon Fernquest
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dear List Members;

      archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
      Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
      Legends):

      http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

      Or just go to archive.org and do a search on "buddhist legends"

      (In bookshops it's expensive and heavy.)

      I have seen this work listed in Pali exam syllabuses.

      Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

      Sincerely,
      Jon Fernquest
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        Thanks Jon for alerting us to this wonderful Dharma gift!

        Although by current standards Burlingame translation (done just after WWW I)
        misses out on many of the finer details, the stories are still worth
        reading.

        Thanks again on behalf of other lurkers,

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

      • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
          Dear Jon,

          > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
          > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
          > Legends):
          >
          > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends

          Thank you!

          > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?

          At:
          http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml

          Sincerely,
          Dmytro
        • Ong Teng Kee
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
            PTS didn't give them any permission to put thier texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now

            "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote: Dear Jon,

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
              Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
              texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"

              I think you are needlessly frightening people.
              It is not even clear what you are referring to.

              You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the Chaṭṭha
              Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary English translation
              was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
              copyright check on all its works.

              If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is in fact based on the 6th
              Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
              a copyright over it?

              If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
              published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
              edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
              assert copyright over it?

              I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
              theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana, although it would be interesting
              to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
              exist.

              Sincerely,
              Jon Fernquest

              > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:
              Dear Jon,

              > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation of the
              > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
              > > Legends):
              > >
              > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
              >
              > Thank you!
              >
              > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
              >
              > At:
              > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Dmytro

            • Ong Teng Kee
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

                Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Apparently, the Dhammakaya group in Thailand (reputed to be one of the
                  wealthiest
                  groups that even takes over agricultural land from the poor farmers) has
                  digitalized
                  the whole of the PTS translations with their permission. However, I am told
                  that
                  although the PTS regrets such an action, they do not take legal action.

                  In Malaysia where I used to word, there is a popular tendency with the Sri
                  Lankan
                  foreign missionaries to makes copies of local works and simply put their
                  temple
                  name on it (promote their reputation). Understandably, without proper role
                  models or
                  teachings, the local Buddhists too have a habit of simply using copyrighted
                  materials
                  without due credit, or sometimes even putting their own name to it.

                  While it is true that Dharma is uncopyrightable, the person's work can be.
                  The idea
                  of citing sources and giving due credit is to so that readers and students
                  know whose
                  arguments it is, and helps in further discussion.

                  Piya Tan

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a
                    century ,but they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the
                    books like the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend
                    the money to buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the
                    journals?"

                    1. If copyright has expired then the writer and their heirs no longer
                    own rights to the work.
                    2. Actually giving away free ebooks while selling paper books is a
                    viable business model, the most famous case being Bruce Eckel's
                    "Thinking in C++" or "Thinking in Java."
                    http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

                    Many people buy paper copies of books, if they're cheap enough,
                    because then you can bring the book to a park or a cafe or read it on
                    the subway, and using the computer in public places makes one look
                    like a geek, and you can make notes in a book, but if you have to
                    travel, a two ton library is hard to move around with.

                    But the question you ask raises some interesting questions, like how
                    much value do you have to add to a work to own it? That someone could
                    "own" the Tipitaka does seem a little horrible.

                    As many authors point out, the Tipitaka is actually not a unified body
                    of texts, there are many different recensions and copies that differ,
                    and sometimes historically, references to the Tipitaka are referring
                    only to the very small part of it, for instance in remote Laos. In
                    local monasteries a full set of Jatakas was probably more important
                    than a full Abhidharma set, I guess. I'm interested in these different
                    recensions and whether these differences can be used for dating. If
                    anyone knows about this, please share it.

                    Sincerely,
                    Jon Fernquest

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ong Teng Kee <ongtkee@...> wrote:

                    > Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a century ,but
                    they do not mention that PTS did a reprinted copy of the books like
                    the journals and Vinayapitaka.Who the hell want to spend the money to
                    buy VIsuddhimagga if it is already online.What about the journals?

                    > Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote:
                    Ong Teng Kee wrote: "PTS didn't give them any permission to put their
                    > texts online.I already informed them but still no action until now"
                    >
                    > I think you are needlessly frightening people.
                    > It is not even clear what you are referring to.
                    >
                    > You must be referring to the roman script Pali at the
                    Chaṭṭha
                    > Saṅgāyana site, because the Dhammapada Commentary

                    English translation
                    > was published by Harvard University Press and Archive.org does a
                    > copyright check on all its works.
                    >
                    > If the Pali at the Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana site is
                    in fact based on the 6th
                    > Buddhist Council in Yangon, as the name implies, how could anyone have
                    > a copyright over it?
                    >
                    > If I edited a part of the Tipitaka and republished it (after being
                    > published for over 2000 years) can I really assert copyright over that
                    > edited version of the Tipitaka? Also why would any practicing Buddhist
                    > assert copyright over it?
                    >
                    > I think we can safely assume that we are not committing an act of
                    > theft when reading Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana,
                    although it would be interesting
                    > to hear from people who have a different opinion about this, if they
                    > exist.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Jon Fernquest
                    >

                    > > "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@> wrote:
                    > Dear Jon,
                    > >
                    > > > archive.org has all three volumes of Burlingame's translation
                    of the
                    > > > Dhammapada commentary into English (not obvious title "Buddhist
                    > > > Legends):
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buddhist%20legends
                    > >
                    > > Thank you!
                    > >
                    > > > Does anyone know if the Pali of this work is online?
                    > >
                    > > At:
                    > > http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0502a.att1.xml
                    > >
                    > > Sincerely,
                    > > Dmytro

                  • Ong Teng Kee
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                      If PTS agree that their books can be freely downloaded they would have put it on their own site.They don't need some guys from Canada to do it for them.
                      When the books are reprinted recently,I don't think the rule of 95 years after publication can still be applied.

                      Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...> wrote: Ong Teng Kee: "Yes,some of the books put online by them are over a