noble truth

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi

      I am not sure about correct translation of th First Noble Truth.
      In some cases it looks to me it is translated as: Life is suffereing.
      In other cases, there are Suttas, that tells about different happiness
      in life. So from that I can come to conclusion, that First Noble Truth
      shouls be: Lafe has suffering. (not life is suffering, or all suffering)
      I would really appreciate, if you would tell me if it can be translated
      like that: Life has suffering, from Pali language.

      With Metta

      Leo
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
        Hi Leo,

        > I would really appreciate, if you would tell me if it can be translated
        > like that: Life has suffering, from Pali language.

        You can read the original formulation in Mahasatipatthana sutta (section
        D 5):

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.22.0.than.html

        Also you may find useful the article:

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/lifeisnt.html

        With Metta,
        Dmytro
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hello Leo,

          No, quite definitely the first noble truth cannot be interpreted
          simply as "life has suffering". This would clearly be just a
          watering-down of what the Buddha is actually saying.

          From the Buddha's first discourse (Dhammacakkhappavattana Sutta) we have:
          "Ida.m kho pana bhikkhave, dukkha.m ariyasacca.m: Jaati’pi dukkhaa,
          jaraa’pi dukkhaa, vyaadhi’pi dukkho, mara.nampi dukkha.m. Appiyehi
          sampayogo dukkho, piyehi vippayogo dukkho. Yampiccha.m na labhati
          tampi dukkha.m. Sa"nkhittena pa~ncupaadaanakkhandhaa dukkhaa."
          "Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering: birth is
          suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is
          suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation
          from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is
          suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are
          suffering."

          The Buddha is not at all denying that there is happiness in life -
          there is plenty - but it is essentially the fact that we cling to
          whatever is pleasant that brings us suffering, because all is
          impermanent. The Buddha exhorts us to develop equanimity with whatever
          is pleasant or unpleasant. Then a byproduct is that our happinesses
          will be greater, since we will just be in the present with them, and
          not consciously or subconsciously creating suffering for ourselves by
          clinging to that happiness and wanting it to last. Similarly our
          pains in life will be lessened, because with equanimity again we
          simply stay in the present with them and we eliminate all the mental
          proliferation of thinking about our pain that intensifies our
          suffering. Of course, this is all much easier said than done - because
          of the roots of greed, aversion, and delusion that are within us. But
          that's what the Buddhist practice is all about.

          I hope this is a little helpful.

          With metta,
          John
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leoaive@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am not sure about correct translation of th First Noble Truth.
          > In some cases it looks to me it is translated as: Life is suffereing.
          > In other cases, there are Suttas, that tells about different happiness
          > in life. So from that I can come to conclusion, that First Noble Truth
          > shouls be: Lafe has suffering. (not life is suffering, or all suffering)
          > I would really appreciate, if you would tell me if it can be translated
          > like that: Life has suffering, from Pali language.
          >
          > With Metta
          >
          > Leo

        • Branislav Kovacevic
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 26, 2008
            Dear All,

            I undertake to translate some parts from Anguttara Nikaya, Book of Ones, as a Pali excercise. Therefore came to suttas 314-315, but somehow couldn't grasp the meaning even after consulting translation given by Mr Ong Yong Peng on this list, message #10022:

            7. "Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
            jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena.
            badly preached / monks / Teaching and Discipline / by giver /
            moderation / should be known / not / recipient
            "(With) the badly preached Teaching and Discipline, O monks, by the
            giver moderation should be known, not the recipient.

            8. "Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
            jaanitabbaa, no daayakena.
            well preached / monks / Teaching and Discipline / by recipient /
            moderation / should be known / not / giver
            "(With) the well preached Teaching and Discipline, O monks, by the
            recipient moderation should be known, not the giver.

            What is the message of this? That the one who wrongly teaches Dhamma-Vinaya should realize that by himself? I'm rather confused.

            Sorry if this is a trivial question, but I believe everybody was once at this stage :)

            Metta,
            Branko

          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 26, 2008
              Dear Branko,

              I agree, it does seem a little obscure. However, here I would
              translate 'matta' as 'measure' rather than 'moderation' and it becomes
              a little clearer. Thus:

              314. Bhikkhus, with a badly expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
              measure of a gift should be known by the giver, not by the recipient.
              For what reason? Because of the badly expounded nature of this Dhamma.
              315. Bhikkhus, with a well expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
              measure of a gift should be known by the recipient, not by the giver.
              For what reason? Because of the well-expounded nature of this Dhamma.

              Here is the full Pali too (since you left some out):
              314. Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
              jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Durakkhaatattaa,
              bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
              315. Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
              jaanitabbaa, no daayakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Svaakkhaatattaa,
              bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.

              With metta,
              John

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
              wrote:

              > Dear All,
              >
              > I undertake to translate some parts from Anguttara Nikaya, Book of
              Ones, as a Pali excercise. Therefore came to suttas 314-315, but
              somehow couldn't grasp the meaning even after consulting translation
              given by Mr Ong Yong Peng on this list, message #10022:

              > 7. "Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
              > jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena.
              > badly preached / monks / Teaching and Discipline / by giver /
              > moderation / should be known / not / recipient
              > "(With) the badly preached Teaching and Discipline, O monks, by the
              > giver moderation should be known, not the recipient.
              >
              > 8. "Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
              > jaanitabbaa, no daayakena.
              > well preached / monks / Teaching and Discipline / by recipient /
              > moderation / should be known / not / giver
              > "(With) the well preached Teaching and Discipline, O monks, by the
              > recipient moderation should be known, not the giver.
              >
              > What is the message of this? That the one who wrongly teaches
              Dhamma-Vinaya should realize that by himself? I'm rather confused.

              > Sorry if this is a trivial question, but I believe everybody was
              once at this stage :)

              > Metta,
              > Branko

            • Branislav Kovacevic
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 26, 2008
                Dear John,

                many thanks for the swift answer.
                I also considered "mataa" as "measure", but must admit that still it is not clear to me what in this context does it mean "to know the measure of the gift". For example, although I expound wrong Dhamma, I probably believe it is a good Dhamma and thus maybe overestimate the gift I'm giving.

                Obviously I miss the point of this passage. Could you please elaborate a little bit.

                Metta,
                Branko

                John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote: Dear Branko,

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 27, 2008
                  Dear Branislav and John,
                  The PTS transl in the footnote refers to the commentary: < In
                  perverted systems of teaching the giver should know how much he has
                  to give. But in this true Dhamma the almsman must be contented if he
                  gets little, and if he gets in excess he must use only what is
                  necessary.>
                  There is reference to S. II, 200, about giving and receiving. Someone
                  who is not worthy to get alms from the families wants the others to
                  give plenty and is vexed if they give not. But someone who is worthy
                  is contented, also when they give not.
                  Nina.

                  Op 27-feb-2008, om 8:20 heeft Branislav Kovacevic het volgende
                  geschreven:

                  > 314. Bhikkhus, with a badly expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                  > measure of a gift should be known by the giver, not by the recipient.
                  > For what reason? Because of the badly expounded nature of this Dhamma.
                  > 315. Bhikkhus, with a well expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                  > measure of a gift should be known by the recipient, not by the giver.
                  > For what reason? Because of the well-expounded nature of this Dhamma.
                  >
                  > Here is the full Pali too (since you left some out):
                  > 314. Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
                  > jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Durakkhaatattaa,
                  > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
                  > 315. Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
                  > jaanitabbaa, no daayakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Svaakkhaatattaa,
                  > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.

                • John Kelly
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 27, 2008
                    Dear Nina,
                    Thanks for the commentary information. The explanation doesn't seem to
                    fit the original sutta text - unless I'm misunderstanding it. My
                    interpretation was that one who gives thinking about how much they
                    have given (e.g. look at me, aren't I wonderful!) is not practicing
                    according to Dhamma. Whereas one who gives without thinking about the
                    measure, and where the recipient knows (i.e. it has an impact), is
                    doing so.
                    What do you think?
                    With metta,
                    John

                    > Dear Branislav and John,
                    > The PTS transl in the footnote refers to the commentary: < In
                    > perverted systems of teaching the giver should know how much he has
                    > to give. But in this true Dhamma the almsman must be contented if he
                    > gets little, and if he gets in excess he must use only what is
                    > necessary.>
                    > There is reference to S. II, 200, about giving and receiving. Someone
                    > who is not worthy to get alms from the families wants the others to
                    > give plenty and is vexed if they give not. But someone who is worthy
                    > is contented, also when they give not.
                    > Nina.
                    >
                    > Op 27-feb-2008, om 8:20 heeft Branislav Kovacevic het volgende
                    > geschreven:
                    >
                    > > 314. Bhikkhus, with a badly expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                    > > measure of a gift should be known by the giver, not by the recipient.
                    > > For what reason? Because of the badly expounded nature of this Dhamma.
                    > > 315. Bhikkhus, with a well expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                    > > measure of a gift should be known by the recipient, not by the giver.
                    > > For what reason? Because of the well-expounded nature of this Dhamma.
                    > >
                    > > Here is the full Pali too (since you left some out):
                    > > 314. Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
                    > > jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Durakkhaatattaa,
                    > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
                    > > 315. Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
                    > > jaanitabbaa, no daayakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Svaakkhaatattaa,
                    > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.

                  • Branislav Kovacevic
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 27, 2008
                      Dear Nina and John,

                      it is quite interesting to see your different interpretations. To my view, the key is how we understand the word "gift". Is the gift badly/well expounded Dhamma or that which is given by upasaka after listening to it?

                      At the beginning I was taking the first meaning, but after Nina's comment it seems to me that the other one has more sense. Nina, could you please clarify that reference S. II.200. Which sutta is that in Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka?

                      Metta
                      Branko

                      John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote: Dear Nina,

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 28, 2008
                        Dear John and Branislav,
                        Op 28-feb-2008, om 6:06 heeft John Kelly het volgende geschreven:
                        My
                        interpretation was that one who gives thinking about how much they
                        have given (e.g. look at me, aren't I wonderful!) is not practicing
                        according to Dhamma. Whereas one who gives without thinking about the
                        measure, and where the recipient knows (i.e. it has an impact), is
                        doing so.
                        N: I also find it a difficult sutta. Here is my own interpretation
                        (not saying it is the only possibility): When a bhikkhu does not
                        understand kamma and vipaaka, he may think of the person of the
                        giver, and think that the giver will know what to give. Hoping to
                        receive a lot.
                        When he does understand he knows that whatever is received is the
                        result of his own kamma, and that he should be contented. He has
                        equanimity, no matter he receives much or little.
                        -------
                        > 314. Bhikkhus, with a badly expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                        > > > measure of a gift should be known by the giver, not by the
                        > recipient.
                        > > > For what reason? Because of the badly expounded nature of this
                        > Dhamma.
                        > > > 315. Bhikkhus, with a well expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                        > > > measure of a gift should be known by the recipient, not by the
                        > giver.
                        > > > For what reason? Because of the well-expounded nature of this
                        > Dhamma.
                        > > >
                        > > > Here is the full Pali too (since you left some out):
                        > > > 314. Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
                        > > > jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Durakkhaatattaa,
                        > > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
                        > > > 315. Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena mattaa
                        > > > jaanitabbaa, no daayakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Svaakkhaatattaa,
                        > > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
                        ------
                        Branislav: Nina, could you please clarify that reference S. II.200.
                        Which sutta is that in Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka?
                        ------
                        N: This is the PTS reference. Samyutta NIkaaya, Nidaana vagga, Ch
                        XVI, Kassapa samyutta, §4.
                        This explains how not to think of giving: 'Let them only give to me
                        abundantly..."

                      • Branislav Kovacevic
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
                          Dear Nina,
                          many thanks once again for your clarifications.

                          Metta,
                          Branko

                          Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear John and Branislav,

                          ------

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 1, 2008
                            Dear Branko, John and Nina,

                            Branko: thanks for your mail. I hope this is not too late a reply from
                            me, since a reference was made about my postings.

                            The choice of word for 'mattaa' is probably the source of confusion. I
                            would have chosen 'moderation' for some good reasons, but I can't
                            recall it since the original message was posted two years ago.

                            I accept that 'measure' is a "clearer, more specific" word in this
                            context, as the PTS has mattaa=pamaa.na. It becomes more specific when
                            we have "measure of gift", i.e. we are restricting to the quality of a
                            donation. To keep it simple, let's just use "measure of gift" without
                            further deliberation.

                            The first paragraph, in plain English, means,

                            With the dhammavinaya poorly preached, (it is taught) the "measure of
                            gift" should be known by the giver, not the recipient.

                            Paraphrasing:

                            According to a lousy dhamma teacher, the giver should know how much he
                            is giving, or how much he should give (moderation). For example, if a
                            monk approaches you, and asks you to donate 10% of your income, no
                            more or less, that is lousy. (This is a lousy example, but that's what
                            I can come up with now.)

                            The second paragraph, means exactly the opposite:

                            According to a good dhamma teacher, the recipient should know what he
                            is been given.

                            I think the essence of this short utterance by the Buddha addresses a
                            few key issues.

                            1. greed: the recipient should know how much is received (measure) or
                            how much is enough (moderation), and not keep on receiving from others.

                            2. generosity: on the other hand, the giver should not be overly
                            concerned with how much is given (measure), whether or not it is
                            enough/excessive (moderation). The idea is to give generously and
                            within one's means, not about "creating good kamma" (which is very
                            typical in popular Buddhism), since the later is related to greed (of
                            future wealth).

                            This obviously has little (if any) to do with giving presents/gifts to
                            your loved ones, which is obviously a slightly different case. I hope
                            the explanation helps.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 1, 2008
                              Dear Branko and friends,

                              while we are on this topic of locative absolutes, I like to raise that
                              in "Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa jaanitabbaa,
                              no pa.tiggaahakena.", "durakkhaate dhammavinaye" is a locative
                              absolute clause.

                              In the classroom, the student typically would translate the clause as
                              "when the dhammavinaya is poorly preached", in order to demonstrate
                              his mastery of the grammar.

                              I hope this clarifies any doubt on locative absolutes.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 2, 2008
                                Dear Yong Peng,

                                of course it's not too late, since you clarified the meaning so extensively. Now I'm pretty sure I grasped the right meaning of that passage. Since translation itself is still obscure because of the wording, I've added a footnote for the reader.

                                In the meantime, I continued with the same book and in the fourth vagga (AN I.333-334) came upon two compounds whose meaning I can't figure out:

                                333. Evameva.n kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa labhanti samadhi.m...
                                334. Evameva.m kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye annaggarasaggaana.m laabhino...

                                aarammaṇa: a sense-object, but what abut the rest?

                                I've checked your translation and it seems you also had a problem. For "vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa" Nina suggested:
                                "N: I would think: resolution to strive, to reach the goal, to attain
                                liberation from the cycle."
                                but I'd like to know what are the constituent words for both of these expressions.

                                Many thanks,
                                Branko

                                Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Branko, John and Nina,

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2, 2008
                                  Dear Branko,

                                  I will take a shot at your question about breaking down the sentence:
                                  Evameva.n kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye vavassaggaaramma.na.m
                                  karitvaa labhanti samadhi.m...
                                  evameva.n = so too
                                  kho = indeed
                                  bhikkhave = bhikkhus
                                  appakaa = few
                                  te = those
                                  sattaa beings
                                  ye = which
                                  vavassaggaaramma.na.m = vavassagga + aaramma.na.m (tappurisa compound)
                                  vavassagga = relinquishment
                                  aramma.na.m = support, basis
                                  karitvaa = having made/done
                                  labhanti = they gain
                                  samadhi.m =concentration

                                  "So too, bhikkhus, few are those beings who gain concentration having
                                  taken relinquishment as its support ..."

                                  wrote:

                                  > Dear Yong Peng,
                                  >
                                  > of course it's not too late, since you clarified the meaning so
                                  extensively. Now I'm pretty sure I grasped the right meaning of that
                                  passage. Since translation itself is still obscure because of the
                                  wording, I've added a footnote for the reader.

                                  > In the meantime, I continued with the same book and in the fourth
                                  vagga (AN I.333-334) came upon two compounds whose meaning I can't
                                  figure out:

                                  > 333. Evameva.n kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye
                                  vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa labhanti samadhi.m...
                                  > 334. Evameva.m kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye
                                  annaggarasaggaana.m laabhino...

                                  > aarammaṇa: a sense-object, but what abut the rest?
                                  >
                                  > I've checked your translation and it seems you also had a problem.
                                  For "vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa" Nina suggested:
                                  > "N: I would think: resolution to strive, to reach the goal, to attain
                                  > liberation from the cycle."
                                  > but I'd like to know what are the constituent words for both of
                                  these expressions.

                                  > Many thanks,
                                  > Branko

                                • Branislav Kovacevic
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 4, 2008
                                    Dear John,

                                    many thanks for your kindness in translating this passage.
                                    Let it bring you much happiness.

                                    wrote:

                                    > Dear Yong Peng,
                                    >
                                    > of course it's not too late, since you clarified the meaning so
                                    extensively. Now I'm pretty sure I grasped the right meaning of that
                                    passage. Since translation itself is still obscure because of the
                                    wording, I've added a footnote for the reader.

                                    > In the meantime, I continued with the same book and in the fourth
                                    vagga (AN I.333-334) came upon two compounds whose meaning I can't
                                    figure out:

                                    > 333. Evameva.n kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye
                                    vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa labhanti samadhi.m...
                                    > 334. Evameva.m kho, bhikkhave, appakaa te sattaa ye
                                    annaggarasaggaana.m laabhino...

                                    > aarammaṇa: a sense-object, but what abut the rest?
                                    >
                                    > I've checked your translation and it seems you also had a problem.
                                    For "vavassaggaaramma.na.m karitvaa" Nina suggested:
                                    > "N: I would think: resolution to strive, to reach the goal, to attain
                                    > liberation from the cycle."
                                    > but I'd like to know what are the constituent words for both of
                                    these expressions.

                                    > Many thanks,
                                    > Branko

                                  • johnny pruitt
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      Paa.liga.no bhava.m attu
                                      It seems to me that when the buddha says that someone who expounds the dhamma poorly should know how much to give means that in other systems of doctrine the teachers are taught to be esoteric. Some religious sects only intitiate some and keep others in the dark. Perhaps the Buddha meant that in a system that is well proclaimed the teacher should not hold anything back.

                                      Johnny

                                      Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Branko, John and Nina,

                                      Branko: thanks for your mail. I hope this is not too late a reply from
                                      me, since a reference was made about my postings.

                                      The choice of word for 'mattaa' is probably the source of confusion. I
                                      would have chosen 'moderation' for some good reasons, but I can't
                                      recall it since the original message was posted two years ago.

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mkp{
                                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                      padding:0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                      font-family:Arial;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                      #ygrp-text{
                                      font-family:Georgia;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-text p{
                                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                      font-family:Arial;
                                      clear:both;}
                                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                      padding:0 1px;}
                                      #ygrp-actbar{
                                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-grft{
                                      #ygrp-ft{
                                      padding:5px 0;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                                      #ygrp-vital{
                                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                      font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-vital a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}

                                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                      padding:8px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                      margin:0;}
                                      o{font-size:0;}
                                      .MsoNormal{
                                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-text tt{
                                      font-size:120%;}
                                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                                      -->

                                    • Mahinda Palihawadana
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 7, 2008
                                        Dear Johnny,

                                        This is just an aside. I am rather puzzled by the initial Pali statement.
                                        How would it read, if you translate it back into English?

                                        Mahipaliha

                                        On 3/5/08, johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> wrote:

                                        > Paa.liga.no <http://paa.liga.no/> bhava.m attu
                                        > It seems to me that when the buddha says that someone who expounds the
                                        > dhamma poorly should know how much to give means that in other systems of
                                        > doctrine the teachers are taught to be esoteric. Some religious sects only
                                        > intitiate some and keep others in the dark. Perhaps the Buddha meant that in
                                        > a system that is well proclaimed the teacher should not hold anything back.
                                        >
                                        > Johnny

                                      • mahipaliha
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 10, 2008
                                          Dear friends,
                                          I too was intrigued by this passage in Anguttara Nikaya (PTS ed.
                                          i.34) and wanted to see what the commentary has to say. It is only
                                          today that I got a copy from a friend. This is what it says: In a
                                          well-proclaimed (i.e. good) religious dispensation (dhamma-vinaya),
                                          the `recipients' (the monks and nuns) should "know the measure".
                                          They should know the donor's wish to give; if the religious need
                                          much, but the donor wants to give little, they should follow the
                                          donor's wish. They also should know how much is available to be
                                          given: if that is little and donor wants to give much, they should
                                          go by the quantity available. Then they should also know their own
                                          physical capacity: if the available quantity is much and the donor
                                          also likes to give much, they should go by how much they can put to
                                          good use. These considerations do not occur in the case of a bad
                                          religious dispensation. Therefore the donor should "know the
                                          measure" and give accordingly. (AN Commentary I, Simon Hewavitharne
                                          Bequest ed, Colombo 1923, p. 261 f.).

                                          I personally think this sort of comment reflects the spirit of the
                                          time when the Buddha's teachings became enmeshed in
                                          organized `Buddhism". Even in the Nikaya texts, there may be much
                                          that derives from that spirit (and therefore not `original'). I
                                          don't see how we can separate what is original from what is not.

                                          Mahipaliha

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 11, 2008
                                            Dear Mahipaliha,

                                            Op 11-mrt-2008, om 0:57 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

                                            > In a
                                            > well-proclaimed (i.e. good) religious dispensation (dhamma-vinaya),
                                            > the `recipients' (the monks and nuns) should "know the measure".
                                            > They should know the donor's wish to give; if the religious need
                                            > much, but the donor wants to give little, they should follow the
                                            > donor's wish. They also should know how much is available to be
                                            > given: if that is little and donor wants to give much, they should
                                            > go by the quantity available. Then they should also know their own
                                            > physical capacity: if the available quantity is much and the donor
                                            > also likes to give much, they should go by how much they can put to
                                            > good use. These considerations do not occur in the case of a bad
                                            > religious dispensation. Therefore the donor should "know the
                                            > measure" and give accordingly. (AN Commentary I, Simon Hewavitharne
                                            > Bequest ed, Colombo 1923, p. 261 f.).
                                            >
                                            > I personally think this sort of comment reflects the spirit of the
                                            > time when the Buddha's teachings became enmeshed in
                                            > organized `Buddhism". Even in the Nikaya texts, there may be much
                                            > that derives from that spirit (and therefore not `original'). I
                                            > don't see how we can separate what is original from what is not.
                                            -------
                                            N: I find the Co. very clear. It reflects the spirit of being
                                            contented with little, fewness of wishes. I do not see any problem,
                                            of having to think of what is not original.

                                          • johnny pruitt
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 14, 2008
                                              well concerning the initial greeting I am assume that it means may there be good fortune ot the pali group (ga.no?). not sure really if it is correct.

                                              On 3/5/08, johnny pruitt <mahasacham@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                              > Paa.liga.no <http://paa.liga. no/> bhava.m attu
                                              > It seems to me that when the buddha says that someone who expounds the
                                              > dhamma poorly should know how much to give means that in other systems of
                                              > doctrine the teachers are taught to be esoteric. Some religious sects only
                                              > intitiate some and keep others in the dark. Perhaps the Buddha meant that in
                                              > a system that is well proclaimed the teacher should not hold anything back.
                                              >
                                              > Johnny

                                              <!--

[...]

                                            • joseph
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 3 8:44 AM
                                                Dear friends
                                                it's funny, but problems with the texts of the pali are often not
                                                only getting the right text but actually understanding the Buddha.
                                                when insight arises there would still be no better way of
                                                explanation to be found than it is in the words of the Blessed one.
                                                and only on enlightenment, really, do the meaning of words shine
                                                forth as perfect and clear.
                                                their meaning is simple, but reality is complex, the Dhamma is
                                                wonderous indeed.
                                                in this case, though, I do not mean to boast, these are simply
                                                familiar life situations:

                                                the story, here too, is quite simple.
                                                in a situation where the Dhamma had been badly expounded by a monk,
                                                the listener lay supporter, will have, though his willingness to
                                                support the monk, a better insight to what should be the limited
                                                extent this monk should be treated.
                                                while in the case of a monk who can truly see into the teachings,
                                                he will himself be able to comprehend the situation, the value of
                                                the Dhamma and the opportunity giving may allow for the listener,
                                                who is, as most often is the case, of a lesser insight.

                                                Metta
                                                Jothiko

                                                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

                                                > Dear Nina,
                                                > Thanks for the commentary information. The explanation doesn't
                                                seem to
                                                > fit the original sutta text - unless I'm misunderstanding it. My
                                                > interpretation was that one who gives thinking about how much they
                                                > have given (e.g. look at me, aren't I wonderful!) is not practicing
                                                > according to Dhamma. Whereas one who gives without thinking about
                                                the
                                                > measure, and where the recipient knows (i.e. it has an impact), is
                                                > doing so.
                                                > What do you think?
                                                > With metta,
                                                > John
                                                > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Dear Branislav and John,
                                                > > The PTS transl in the footnote refers to the commentary: < In
                                                > > perverted systems of teaching the giver should know how much he
                                                has
                                                > > to give. But in this true Dhamma the almsman must be contented
                                                if he
                                                > > gets little, and if he gets in excess he must use only what is
                                                > > necessary.>
                                                > > There is reference to S. II, 200, about giving and receiving.
                                                Someone
                                                > > who is not worthy to get alms from the families wants the others
                                                > > give plenty and is vexed if they give not. But someone who is
                                                worthy
                                                > > is contented, also when they give not.
                                                > > Nina.
                                                > >
                                                > > Op 27-feb-2008, om 8:20 heeft Branislav Kovacevic het volgende
                                                > > geschreven:
                                                > >
                                                > > > 314. Bhikkhus, with a badly expounded Dhamma and discipline,
                                                the
                                                > > > measure of a gift should be known by the giver, not by the
                                                recipient.
                                                > > > For what reason? Because of the badly expounded nature of this
                                                Dhamma.
                                                > > > 315. Bhikkhus, with a well expounded Dhamma and discipline, the
                                                > > > measure of a gift should be known by the recipient, not by the
                                                giver.
                                                > > > For what reason? Because of the well-expounded nature of this
                                                Dhamma.

                                                > > > Here is the full Pali too (since you left some out):
                                                > > > 314. Durakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye daayakena mattaa
                                                > > > jaanitabbaa, no pa.tiggaahakena. Ta.m kissa hetu?
                                                Durakkhaatattaa,
                                                > > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.
                                                > > > 315. Svaakkhaate, bhikkhave, dhammavinaye pa.tiggaahakena
                                                mattaa
                                                > > > jaanitabbaa, no daayakena. Ta.m kissa hetu? Svaakkhaatattaa,
                                                > > > bhikkhave, dhammassaa ti.

                                              • joseph
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 3 9:02 AM
                                                  Dear friends
                                                  While I agree with the general idea,
                                                  The Buddha explained that attachment to equanimity nay become the
                                                  hindrance to the achievment of liberation.

                                                  Nibbana is actually not equanimity, and it is nothing less of
                                                  Nibbana that should be aspired for.
                                                  it is the release of any desire, even that to abandon suffering.
                                                  Du Kha actually means bad space, it is in relation to the actual
                                                  brain space, the embodiment of a personal mind, and I use the words
                                                  in the most conventional way.
                                                  so actually, it simply means bad, trouble, if you look at the
                                                  definition, it is simply that life is trouble, not pessimistic or
                                                  nihilistic, the understanding is such.
                                                  the presence of wisdom is the reason, the support, the truth of
                                                  Nibbana, and by that, any of these adverbs is rendered inadaquate.

                                                  if it does not seem to make sense, remember that it is anna:
                                                  of a different wisdom, a different kind of consciousness.

                                                  Metta
                                                  Jothiko

                                                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hello Leo,
                                                  >
                                                  > No, quite definitely the first noble truth cannot be interpreted
                                                  > simply as "life has suffering". This would clearly be just a
                                                  > watering-down of what the Buddha is actually saying.
                                                  >
                                                  > From the Buddha's first discourse (Dhammacakkhappavattana Sutta)
                                                  we have:

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 6 7:49 AM
                                                    Bhante,

                                                    your analysis of dukkha is interesting. I have never understood the
                                                    word that way. Can you elaborate more, and can we apply similar
                                                    analysis to sukha? Thanks.

                                                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, joseph wrote:

                                                    Du Kha actually means bad space, it is in relation to the actual brain
                                                    space, the embodiment of a personal mind, and I use the words in the
                                                    most conventional way. so actually, it simply means bad, trouble, if
                                                    you look at the definition, it is simply that life is trouble, not
                                                    pessimistic or nihilistic, the understanding is such.
                                                  • Gunnar Gällmo
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 6 10:45 AM
                                                      Does anyone know what happened to the on-line version
                                                      of the Ven. Nyanaponikas German translation of the
                                                      Suttanipata? I used to find it at
                                                      http://www.palikanon.com/khuddaka/sn , but now I get a
                                                      message that "Looks like the page you're looking for
                                                      was moved or never existed". It did exist, so where
                                                      has it moved?

                                                      Gunnar

                                                      http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

                                                      Låna pengar utan säkerhet. Jämför vilkor online hos Yahoo!
                                                      http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-100390123-lan-utan-sakerhet.html?partnerId=96915014
                                                    • joseph
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 7 8:12 AM
                                                        Dear Friends
                                                        Specifically Kha is related to `one's environment'(probably
                                                        K.R.Norman),One's space'. Maybe even relates to `Aura'.the physical
                                                        energy that surrounds the body.
                                                        While, funny enough. This is a reference to the mind, the may we
                                                        say, `non Physical brain'
                                                        Mana' the ignorant man constant thinking is by Comparing
                                                        himself with others, asmi mana is conceit and maana is measuring.
                                                        Du Manasa relates specifically to depression, which is only one facet
                                                        of Dhuka.

                                                        probably even NamaRupa may relate to the reality that is experienced
                                                        as Mind and Brain, since the body, and Physical reality, is truly the
                                                        experience related to the Physical brain, only by extention, we
                                                        think, or there is in this conditioned view of the body.
                                                        This is per se, when the Buddha says `There is a body' Atthi Kayo.
                                                        We are faced with a reality, undeniable experience.
                                                        So this is again an example of the Indian mind set. And the vital
                                                        necessity to see the
                                                        Circumstances of the lessons, much in the way a Sutta lesson, should
                                                        be seen at it's context, the wider, and the specific one.

                                                        any way I like to think about the logical way this highly idiomatic
                                                        language forms.
                                                        Based on simple, logical conventions of speech and common
                                                        understanding,
                                                        Often the Pali translation is difficult not only in grammatical
                                                        terms but possibly in deeper rooted convictions, maybe it boils down
                                                        too, eventually to our view of a `self',

                                                        It's a little beside the point, and may look pretentious and high,
                                                        but there this example Of the quantum mechanics Theory
                                                        Quantum mechanics taught us that there is no objective point of view,
                                                        no observer that is outside the system, it is, I think, easy to see
                                                        the Buddhist relevance of it, as the
                                                        `not self' characteristic of existence. Anatta.

                                                        Consciousness is a biological necessity and responds accordingly,
                                                        with the necessary self deceit and profit seeking.
                                                        No truth but seeing this very process.

                                                        The meaning of Nibbana is just this `stopping of the game', resting
                                                        from the universal laws of desire, hatred and delusion which push us
                                                        to participate in the formation of further actions, preparations and
                                                        intentions Sankhara.
                                                        This process-game' is based on our ignorance to the fact that there
                                                        is no entity, point of view, absolute reality which is `Me'

                                                        Our binding action starts by desire, longing, which, because of
                                                        ignorance make us believe in the possibility of real satisfaction,
                                                        real realization in this world or beyond it, as religious
                                                        gratification.

                                                        Now this is a dangerous point and must it be understood that there is
                                                        no place for nihilism, destructive psychological tendencies and so
                                                        on, it is simply often beyond our capacity to face the void, the
                                                        emotional emptiness which is the basic nature of reality, existence,
                                                        the world.
                                                        so we often run, with the encouragement of an ego mental protection,
                                                        in to illusion, a religion , taking side on order to belong..

                                                        materialism too is making for a philosophy, a belief, even the
                                                        Atheist.
                                                        attachment to logic, a view of a future hope of success.
                                                        science, though taking the quantum opportuinity per se, is not
                                                        manifesting a belief in the passive freedom that is opened up, it
                                                        cannot function that way, it remains the tool of progress and greed.

                                                        This is not bad; it's actually a social reality.
                                                        But truth can be experienced and realized, it may need training, as
                                                        it rises only at the space that is created by inner quietude,
                                                        serenity, peacefulness.
                                                        I think the use of the word `space' is most satisfactory.

                                                        Su Kha is happiness, mental exhilaration that contains physical or
                                                        mental feeling.
                                                        Both can be experienced as a bodily experience.
                                                        But the duality su/du
                                                        may also relate to `the bad path' the un wholesome way which stands
                                                        in relation to the Eight fold path (see M.N. 117).
                                                        While here the idea of Samma is crucial.

                                                        Nibbana, by reality and definition, is `the cessation of the causes
                                                        of the bad' The simple denial of the cause, not `happy or `sad'.

                                                        It relates to a mind attitude, feeling, reality circumstances and
                                                        above all, to rebirth, re enactment of existence in illusion, life.

                                                        Equanimity is quite close, but it lacks the Quantum! leap of the
                                                        light which has a quality of Metta, the active avoidance of
                                                        attachment, which , in relation to a 'self' is 'other' Anna.

                                                        `Since Nibbana exists, the way to develop it is the only wisdom'.
                                                        Hence Buddhism,
                                                        but simply, understanding this Can be, must be, implemented as part
                                                        of any world view,
                                                        it's easy to see the case above as relating to one worldly way, but
                                                        religion, even in a
                                                        clearer fashion should be a base for the Dhamma.
                                                        the Buddha himself has accepted the old Indian gods.
                                                        the Tibetans , too, has Idam, a personal god, a protector of the
                                                        search for the Dhamma.
                                                        .Sri lankan have gods to refer to when trouble (the chief one is
                                                        Kataragama, the residence, the name of the town here)
                                                        The Jewish Shekhina' is similar, I think it is presence', or the
                                                        Indian concept of Shakti, the power, presence, manifestation, female
                                                        side of the various gods.
                                                        This is advanced theology, too much actually.
                                                        It may be any chosen god of belief, why not?

                                                        But a belief that negates the quantum is a wrong view which lead to
                                                        suffering…
                                                        No god is this eternal point, the causeless cause, whatever the
                                                        religious imaginations like to make of their traditional, past based
                                                        yearnings.

                                                        Now there is the presence of the path, that means the right way.
                                                        The preliminary thought may be connected to belief, faith, which is a
                                                        good place to start, but not necessarily, not, as we show, as a
                                                        matter of taking sides, but a personal,
                                                        Lonely often, experience of the consequences of truth,

                                                        Sorry, I was writing a sermon when I saw the letter, so it all came
                                                        out like that..
                                                        I meant to elaborate more about the linguistic aspect, as you see,
                                                        amateurism may sometimes be an advantage.

                                                        I also find, in order to fully engulf some unnecessary conventions,
                                                        it may be helpful to
                                                        See some ideas of later Buddhist schools, and even of the Indian
                                                        sphere.

                                                        Metta
                                                        Jothiko

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 9 6:22 AM
                                                          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

                                                          can we apply similar
                                                          > analysis to sukha? Thanks.

                                                          Dear friends
                                                          Su = good, positive
                                                          Kha = space, presence.
                                                          the idiom of 'positive space' can be seen as three fold:

                                                          amisa sukha - physical-emotional bliss, an ingredient of the first
                                                          jhana, where body and bliss are, like a sponge 'fully saturated with
                                                          water'.

                                                          niramisa sukha - mental emotional happiness, of the third jhana,
                                                          where equanimity which is 'inspection from a high point', gives the
                                                          image of lotus flowers of various colors, fully immersed in water.

                                                          sukha = satisfaction, finding fulfilment.
                                                          hence 'kama sukalika' = satisfaction with the sphere of the senses.
                                                          'sukha vipasana' = satisfaction with the thoughtful inquiry.
                                                          (the dry aspect is also in relation to the duality, the mnaturity of
                                                          the wood that can be burned
                                                          'nibbana paramam sukham = cessation is the satisfaction of
                                                          (attaining)the beyond'.

                                                          The MahaArahat Venerable Sariputta explains that Nibbana is happiness
                                                          exactly because it is devoid of feelings.

                                                          Metta
                                                          Jothiko