Re: Re: SV: [Pali] Re: Pali phrase book?

    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 2 6:37 AM
      Decades back, as a monk, I remember reading the Pali Bible, and feeling
      deeply
      joyful at the Pali, but not what is thrusted upon it. It's like pasting a
      copy of Hieronymus
      Bosch onto a beautiful Chinese nature line-painting, or blowing a trumpet in
      sensitve rendition of sitar music!

      In a sense, we can say that a language is heavily influenced by the message
      it
      habitually carries. Pali, being a language specially put together to pass on
      the
      Dharma, is thoroughly coloured by it.

      Similarly English is often deeply coloured by Christianity, but since
      English is a
      living language, it is constantly evolving. Pali has attained nirvana as it
      were, so
      it is unlike to undergo much change, if any! (Anyone still thinking of
      conversing in
      Pali :) But, no, we still could.

      The upadhi-struck minds of some Christians never cease to amaze me. They are
      as appropriative as ever. In Singapore, it is not uncommon to see permanent
      banners outside churches, shouting: "Jesus is Lord" and there is a "City
      Harvest
      Church" promising prosperity to believers. So we are sheep to the Shepherd,
      fishes for the Fisher of men.

      The Buddha: "let go, and you will be free!"

      With metta and mudita,

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644

      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 10 9:05 AM
        Dear Piya and Yohana,

        please use English as the means of communication. Thank you.