SV: Re: SV: [Pali] Re: Pali phrase book?

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- George Bedell <gdbedell@...> skrev:

      > Gunnar,
      >
      > In your Paliforum post of 1/27, you mentioned 'the
      > Pali Bible'. After some investigation online, I
      > found reference to a New Testament in Burmese script
      > attributed to Tolfrey and de Thomas and published in
      > Colombo in 1835. Is this the one you were referring
      > to? Whether it is or not, do you have any idea how
      > to obtain a copy? I would appreciate any
      > information.

      Actually, I don't know any details; I have heard
      several times that either the Bible, or perhaps only
      the New Testament, have been translated into Pali to
      convert bhikkhus. I have also heard that this
      translation have given some knowledgeable bhikkhus a
      great joy, but of a quite different kind than the one
      intended.

      I have heard similar stories about other Bible
      translations (such a choosing the wrong synonym for
      "love"...)

      Some Christians tend to boast about how many languages
      the Bible has been translated into. I always wished to
      know how many of these translations are of an
      acceptable quality - but I suppose there's no-one who
      could check that.

      Gunnar

      http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 10, 2008
        Dear Piya and Yohana,

        please use English as the means of communication. Thank you.