DN 31 Translation - part 13

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear
      friends,

      Continuation of the DN 31 translation and grammatical
      analysis:

      8. "Cha kho 'me gahapati-putta aadiinavaa
      suraa-meraya-majja-pamaada-.t.thaanaanuyoge: sandi.t.thikaa dhana~njaani,
      kalaha-ppava.d.dhanii, rogaana.m aayatana.m, akitti-sa~njananii, [PTS Page 183]
      kopiina-nidda.msanii, pa~n~naaya dubbali-kara.nii tv eva cha.t.tha.m pada.m
      bhavati. Ime kho gahapati-putta cha aadiinavaa suraa-meraya-majja-pamaada-.t.thaanaanuyoge.

      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six

      kho - ind emph enc - indeed

      ime ('me: sandhi elis) - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these

      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg
      - O young householder

      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers

      suraa-meraya-majja-pamaada-.t.thaanaanuyoge
      - gen TP cpd *, m-a/loc/sg - in indulgence in the state of negligence from spirits,
      fermented liquor, and other intoxicants

      sandi.t.thikaa - adj, f-aa/nom/sg - visible here and now

      dhana~njaani - gen TP cpd, f-i/nom/sg - loss of wealth (Alternate
      reading (dhanajaani), which would be
      more normal for a compound to have all but the last word in stem form.)

      dhana.m (dhana~n: sandhi assim) - n-a/nom/sg -
      wealth

      jaani - f-i/nom/sg - loss

      kalaha-ppava.d.dhanii - gen TP cpd, m-in/nom/sg - increasing in
      quarrels

      kalaha - m-a/stem - quarrel

      pava.d.dhanii (ppava.d.dhanii: sandhi dup) - pa+va.d.dh I, pp + possessive suffix -anii, f-ii/nom/sg – having
      increase

      rogaana.m - m-a/dat/pl - for sicknesses

      aayatana.m - n-a/nom/sg - base

      akitti-sa~njananii - dat TP cpd, m-in/nom/sg - cause for disrepute

      akitti - f-i/stem - disrepute

      sa~njananii - m-in/nom/sg - progenitor

      kopiina-nidda.msanii - gen TP cpd, m-in/nom/sg - exposure of
      the genitals

      kopiina - n-a/stem - genitals

      nidda.msanii - m-in/nom/sg - exposing

      pa~n~naaya - f-aa/gen/sg - of wisdom

      dubbali-kara.nii - KD cpd, f-ii/nom/sg - feebleness

      dubbali - adj, stem (Compunds ending in forms of karoti modify the ending of the previous
      noun or adjective from –a to –i.) - feeble

      kara.nii - adj, f-ii/nom/sg - doing,
      making (kara.na
      is one of the rare adjectives which forms the feminine with an –iistem.)

      [tu eva (tv eva: sandhi coal) - ind - but
      (emphatic)]

      tu - ind - but; then

      eva - adv
      emph - just, very

      cha.t.tha.m - num adj, n-a/nom/sg - sixth

      pada.m - n-a/nom/sg - step

      bhavati - bhuu I, pres act, 3rd/sg - it is

      ime - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these

      kho - ind emph enc - indeed

      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg
      - O young householder

      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six

      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers

      suraa-meraya-majja-pamaada-.t.thaanaanuyoge
      - gen TP cpd *, m-a/loc/sg - in indulgence in the state of negligence from spirits,
      fermented liquor, and other intoxicants

      8. "These are the six dangers inherent in heedlessness caused by
      intoxication: loss of immediate wealth, increased quarrelling, susceptibility
      to illness, disrepute, indecent exposure, and weakened insight.

      With
      metta,

      John