Re: [Pali] Problem with Warder Chapter 9

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear Nathalie,
      Op 30-jan-2008, om 6:24 heeft natalie_indeed het volgende geschreven:

      > I am having trouble with Warder's English to Pali exercise in chapter
      > 9. The sentence is: "Taking a garland they went to the hall."
      > I rendered it thus: "maalaa harantaa saala.m apakammimsu."
      > My answer key says this: "maala.m aadaaya yena saalaa ten'
      > upasa.mkamimsu."
      --------
      Nina: Jim, a Pali scholar on our list, wrote to me:
      <I was looking into Natalie's question about 'yena saalaa tena...'
      According
      to Sp I 128, there is another interpretation besides yattha saalaa
      tattha. .
      . that could apply, i.e., yena kaara.nena saalaa upasa"nkamitabbaa, tena
      kaara.nena upasa"nkami.msu = lit. for whatever reason the hall is to be
      gone to, for that reason they went.>
      Sp. is Saaratthappakaasinii, the Co. to the Kindred Sayings.

      upasa"nkamitabbaa is a passive form, note the ending: abbaa. Thus,
      the subject of it is nominative. kaara.na is reason or cause.

    • Natalie
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        Dear Sir,

        Thank you so very much! This finally makes sense!

        With metta,
        Natalie

        DC Wijeratna <dcwijeratna@...> wrote: Yena bhagavaa tena upas.nkami.msu.

        This is the common form of relative construction in Paali.
        See Lesson 12, pg 70 and p. 291 Warder.

        A more readable and a simpler account is in A New Course in Paali. James W.Gair and W.S.Karunatilaka--it is called correlative construction there. Yena...Tena is an idiomatic form. The object is in the nominative.

        D. G. D. C. Wijeratna