Re: [Pali] Re: Problem with Warder Chapter 9

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      Yena bhagavaa tena upas.nkami.msu.

      This is the common form of relative construction in Paali.
      See Lesson 12, pg 70 and p. 291 Warder.

      A more readable and a simpler account is in A New Course in Paali. James W.Gair and W.S.Karunatilaka--it is called correlative construction there. Yena...Tena is an idiomatic form. The object is in the nominative.

      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        Dear Nathalie,
        Op 30-jan-2008, om 6:24 heeft natalie_indeed het volgende geschreven:

        > I am having trouble with Warder's English to Pali exercise in chapter
        > 9. The sentence is: "Taking a garland they went to the hall."
        > I rendered it thus: "maalaa harantaa saala.m apakammimsu."
        > My answer key says this: "maala.m aadaaya yena saalaa ten'
        > upasa.mkamimsu."
        --------
        Nina: Jim, a Pali scholar on our list, wrote to me:
        <I was looking into Natalie's question about 'yena saalaa tena...'
        According
        to Sp I 128, there is another interpretation besides yattha saalaa
        tattha. .
        . that could apply, i.e., yena kaara.nena saalaa upasa"nkamitabbaa, tena
        kaara.nena upasa"nkami.msu = lit. for whatever reason the hall is to be
        gone to, for that reason they went.>
        Sp. is Saaratthappakaasinii, the Co. to the Kindred Sayings.

        upasa"nkamitabbaa is a passive form, note the ending: abbaa. Thus,
        the subject of it is nominative. kaara.na is reason or cause.

      • Natalie
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Dear Sir,

          Thank you so very much! This finally makes sense!

          With metta,
          Natalie

          DC Wijeratna <dcwijeratna@...> wrote: Yena bhagavaa tena upas.nkami.msu.