Advice on the Pali Canon

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
      Dear Respected Dhamma Path Seekers,

      May I know in Anguttara Nikaya is there a Book 9 sutta no :20 velam sutta I am?
      looking for the pali words of the 5 inferiors giving namely Not given carefully, given dis
      respectfully, not giving personally , giving rejectingly and giving with a view of not coming.

      Also in Majjhima nikaya sutta no 142 exposition of offering in dakkhinavibhanga sutta, is this in
      order of the scripture?

      Please correct if I am wrong.

      metta
      Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
        Alex,

        The Pali words you asked about are as follows:

        *asakkacca.m deti,
        acittikatvaa� deti,
        asahatthaa� ca deti,
        apa�viddha.m deti,
        anaa�gamana,di.t.thiko deti*

        It is found in the Velaama Sutta (S 9.20) and also in the Asappurisa Sutta
        (A 5.147).

        A fully annotated translation is found here (if you have not found it yet):

        http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/A9.20_Velama_S_sd16.6.pdf

        You must be from Malaysia.

        With metta,

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
          Alex,

          I'm not sure about you question here:
          *
          **On Jan 29, 2008 11:55 AM, duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
          *

          > * Also in Majjhima nikaya sutta no 142 exposition of offering in
          > dakkhinavibhanga sutta, is this in order of the scriptu?*

          Anyway, some important problems are discussed in this annotated translation:

          http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/M142_Dakkhinavibhanga_S_sd1.9.pdf

          With metta,

          Piya

        • Alex Long
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
            Sadhu Bhante Piya Tan,

            Many thanks. No! I live in Singapore.

            metta,
            Alex

            Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:
            Alex,

            The Pali words you asked about are as follows:

            *asakkacca.m deti,
            acittikatvaaΠdeti,
            asahatthaaΠca deti,
            apa­viddha.m deti,
            anaaŒgamana,di.t.thiko deti*

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
              Dear Alex,

              I notice there is some gibberish in the Pali. Did it turn our clearly
              on'your side?

              Iif not email me offline.

              Metta,

              Piya