Pali Course (Singapore)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20 9:01 AM
      PALI WITHOUT GRAMMAR

      A basic course based on the Suttas

      1. Dhammacakka-ppavattana Sutta

      Module 1a: (Fri) 11, 18, 25 Oct, 1, 8 Nov 2002 @ 7.30-9.30 p.m.
      Module 1b: (Sat) 12, 19, 26 Oct, 2, 9 Nov 2002 @ 3.00-5.00 p.m.

      Venue: The Pali Centre*

      The most direct way to learn Buddhism is to read and live the Pali
      sutras, some of the oldest records we have of the Buddha's teachings.
      Knowing some Pali helps to have such firsthand wisdom.

      This is a course on contextual or "situational" Pali, that is, Pali
      as used in the early teachings themselves. We will learn Pali the way
      we learn English in our schools today: less grammar, more usage.

      Topics covered include:

      o The basic structure of the Pali language. [Optional class]**
      o Pali vocabulary and usage.
      o Basic knowledge of important Pali sentences, terms, phrases.
      o Locating suttas in the Pali Canon.
      o How to appreciate a sutta.

      Course fee: $50.00 per person. (Rebate for the unemployed on request.)

      *Address: Blk 633 Bukit Batok Central, #01-130 (2nd flr), S 650633.

      **Special class for total beginners: Thu 10th October 2002 (7.30-9.30
      p.m.). Proposed donation: $10.00. (Please register by email.)

      For more info, contact Piya Tan at libris@....