Re: Pali course

  • dkotschessa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2008
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ananda Assaji <english1527@...> wrote:

      > To whom it may concern,
      >
      > I have read the Long discourses, Middle Length Discourses,
      Connected Discourses, and Numerical Discourses in English and Pali. I
      have had like very limited formal type study of Pali, until now, and
      I am thinking about taking a course in Pali, possibly online. I would
      appreciate your sharing information with regards to this that would
      benefit me.

      > Sincerely,
      >

      > English1527

      Bhikkhu Bodhi's course, which I started, is excellent, and everything
      except the textbook is available online:

      http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/Pali/course_Pali.html

      It uses Gair's "A New Course in Reading Pali" which gets you right
      into the texts.

      It seems with the amount of material you have read (wow!) you
      wouldn't have a problem jumping into this course. I actually found
      it a bit overwhelming so I am working on DeSilva's Pali Primer right
      now:

      http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

      which is a much more gradual introduction to the grammar - one case
      at a time. The Gair book throws heaps of grammar at you at once
      along side the texts. I am thinking that grammar and not vocabulary
      will be your biggest challenge, having read as much as you did.

      I looked around for any kind of distance learning courses for Pali
      but was not able to find them. I looked and looked and looked. I
      think the approach I am taking now works best for me.

      -DaveK