DN 31 Translation - part 8

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2007
      Dear
      friends,

      Continuation of the DN 31 translation and grammatical
      analysis:

      Katam' assa cattaaro kamma-kilesaa pahiinaa honti? Paa.naatipaato
      kho gahapati-putta kamma-kileso, adinnaadaana.m kamma-kileso, kaamesu micchaacaaro
      kamma-kileso, musaa-vaado kamma-kileso. Imassa
      cattaaro kamma-kilesaa pahiinaa hontiiti."

      katame (katam': sandhi elis)- ind inter - which?

      assa - dem pro, n/dat/sg - for this

      cattaaro - num adj, m/nom/pl - four

      kamma-kilesaa - gen TP cpd, m-a/nom/pl - defilements of conduct

      kamma - n-a/stem - of action

      kilesaa - m-a/nom/pl - defilements

      pahiinaa - pa+haa I, pp, m/nom/pl - abandoned

      honti - huu I, pres act, 3rd/pl - there are

      paa.naatipaato
      (sandhi coal) - gen TP cpd, m-a/nom/sg -
      killing of living beings

      paa.na - m-a/stem - living being

      atipaato - m-a/nom/sg - killing

      kho - ind emph enc - indeed

      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg - O young householder

      kamma-kileso - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/sg - defilement of conduct

      adinnaadaana.m
      (sandhi coal) - gen TP cpd, n-a/nom/sg -
      taking of what is not given

      adinna - adj, stem
      - not given

      aadaana.m - n-a/nom/sg - taking

      kamma-kileso - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/sg - defilement of conduct

      kaamesu - m-a loc pl - in sense pleasures

      micchaacaaro - KD cpd, m-a/nom/sg - misconduct

      micchaa - adv, stem - wrongly

      caaro - m-a/nom/sg - conduct

      kamma-kileso - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/sg - defilement of conduct

      musaa-vaado - KD cpd, m-a/nom/sg - false speech

      musaa - adv, stem - falsely

      vaado - m-a/nom/sg - speech

      kamma-kileso - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/sg - defilement of conduct

      [ime assa (imassa: sandhi elis)]

      ime - dem pro, m/nom/pl - these

      assa - dem pro, m/gen/sg - for him

      cattaaro - num adj, m/nom/pl - four

      kamma-kilesaa - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/pl - defilements of conduct

      pahiinaa - pa+haa I, pp, m/nom/pl - abandoned

      [honti iti (hontiiti: sandhi coal)]

      honti - huu I, pres act, 3rd/pl - there are

      iti - ind - (end-quote)

      "What
      four impure actions are abandoned? The harming of living beings is an impure
      action, taking what is not given is an impure action, sexual misconduct is an
      impure action, and false speech is an impure action. These
      four are abandoned."

      Idam avoca Bhagavaa.

      ida.m
      (idam: sandhi assim) - dem pro, n/acc/sg - that

      avoca
      - vac I, aor, 3rd/sg - he said

      Bhagavaa - m-ant/nom/sg
      - the Blessed One