Fwd: Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2007
      Dear friends in Dhamma,

      a message from Frank which i wanted to share with all of you! Great
      news and i think there are many among you who might be very interested
      in installing and testing this new CSCD version.

      mettaya,
      Lennart
      Date: Nov 24, 2007 8:52 PM
      Subject: Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0
      To: Lennart Lopin

      Hi Lennart,

      I hope all is well with you. I have been working with VRI recently on a
      replacement for the CSCD. See this URL:
      http://www.tipitaka.org/cst/blog/about/
      Then follow the link on the right bar for Installation.

      Feel free to send this URL to anyone who might be interested.

      With metta,
      Frank Snow
      fsnow@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2007
        Sadhu and Thanks Lennart for the good news! I've been waiting for this for a
        long time.

        It works fine so far. The Mula, Atthakatha and Tika so far tested all align
        exactly (not in v3).

        Best of all the Unicodes texts copy easily on to MS Word.

        Mudita to all those who is working and making CST4 a success and available
        to all. May they be well and happy.

        For the Sutta Discovery translations, as far as possible I try to check
        readings
        with all Pali versions (Sinhala, Burmese, Siamese, Khmer, and PTS). Mostly,
        I prefer
        translating the Peyyalas in full, as the text in unintelligible if they are
        too abridged.

        I am still waiting for the Syamrattha (Thai Tipitaka) edition to be
        similarly available.
        Their versions available are difficult to use.

        (The CSCD Thai version is only that Thai script not the Syamrattha edition).

        The Yuttadhammo Pali Reader uses the CSCD version, but the new version
        has the Visuddhimagga, too.

        Metta,

        Piya

        Piya

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

      • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 2007
          Dear Lennart and Frank,

          I got just the initial picture, waited for a long time, and eventually
          got just 'Assertion failure'.

          Mettaya,
          Dmytro

          Lennart Lopin пишет:
          > Dear friends in Dhamma,
          >
          > a message from Frank which i wanted to share with all of you! Great
          > news and i think there are many among you who might be very interested
          > in installing and testing this new CSCD version.
          >
          > mettaya,
          > Lennart
          > Date: Nov 24, 2007 8:52 PM
          > Subject: Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0
          > To: Lennart Lopin
          >

          > Hi Lennart,
          >
          > I hope all is well with you. I have been working with VRI recently on a
          > replacement for the CSCD. See this URL:
          > http://www.tipitaka.org/cst/blog/about/
          > Then follow the link on the right bar for Installation.
          >
          > Feel free to send this URL to anyone who might be interested.
          >
          > With metta,
          > Frank Snow
          > fsnow@...

        • Branislav Kovacevic
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 26, 2007
            Dear Dmytro,

            you should probably first install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 to run the program, as it is said in the installation instructions.

            To download it, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

            Regards,
            Branko

            "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote: Dear Lennart and Frank,

            Lennart Lopin пишет:
            > Dear friends in Dhamma,
            >
            > a message from Frank which i wanted to share with all of you! Great
            > news and i think there are many among you who might be very interested
            > in installing and testing this new CSCD version.
            >
            > mettaya,
            > Lennart
            > Date: Nov 24, 2007 8:52 PM
            > Subject: Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0
            > To: Lennart Lopin
            >

            > Hi Lennart,
            >
            > I hope all is well with you. I have been working with VRI recently on a
            > replacement for the CSCD. See this URL:
            > http://www.tipitaka.org/cst/blog/about/
            > Then follow the link on the right bar for Installation.
            >
            > Feel free to send this URL to anyone who might be interested.
            >
            > With metta,
            > Frank Snow
            > fsnow@...

          • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
              Dear Branko,

              Surely I have installed it.

              There was a small bug preventing the program from running on my
              computer, and Frank Snow has kindly sent me a patch.

              Now it runs all right, and I'm very impressed with its quality.

              Regards,
              Dmytro

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                Yes it's really good, much better than v3.

                However, there is one small bug I found: when you use the
                dictionary search for a word, the cursor does not return to
                its original position in the Mula.

                Also I have not been able to find the meaning of any of the
                words I tried, eg asa.tho and amaayaavii.

                Such minor difficulties surely can be ironed out is due course
                in an otherwise excellent Dharma software.

                Sadhu & mudita,

                Piya Tan

              • Yuttadhammo
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
                  At 27 Nov 2007 19:40:11 +0200 Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko wrote:
                  > There was a small bug preventing the program from running on my
                  > computer, and Frank Snow has kindly sent me a patch.
                  >
                  > Now it runs all right, and I'm very impressed with its quality.

                  Probably no way it will run on Linux... :(

                  I wonder if we can get the VRI to make their software opensource... then I could incorporate some of their work into the reader I made, which is cross-platform. Would be good for Mac users as well...
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
                    I also am unable to type diacritics into the search box. However, the cut
                    and paste
                    function works on it. But this is a but of a round about way.

                    Any way I can type the diacritics directly into the search box?

                    With metta,

                    Piya

                    On Nov 28, 2007 9:24 AM, Yuttadhammo <yuttadhammo@...> wrote:

                    > At 27 Nov 2007 19:40:11 +0200 Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko wrote:
                    > > There was a small bug preventing the program from running on my
                    > > computer, and Frank Snow has kindly sent me a patch.
                    > >
                    > > Now it runs all right, and I'm very impressed with its quality.
                    > >
                    > Probably no way it will run on Linux... :(
                    >
                    > I wonder if we can get the VRI to make their software opensource... then I
                    > could incorporate some of their work into the reader I made, which is
                    > cross-platform. Would be good for Mac users as well...

                    --
                    The Minding Centre
                    Singapore 650644
                    Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

                  • Ngawang Dorje
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 28, 2007
                      Hi,

                      I am looking for this article, "Aggregates and clinging Aggregates" by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Pali Buddhist Review (1976)

                      I would appreciate if anybody could tell me how t obtained it. better, if anyone has it in the computer, would you be kind enough to send it to me.

                      Thanks,
                      Rahula

                    • douglas teo

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2007
                          Hi,

                          Piya Tan:
                          > I also am unable to type diacritics into the search box.

                          I can type diacritics into the search box.

                          However I greatly miss the multiple words "context" search which was
                          available in the third version.

                          It is essential for finding glosses, as described at:

                          http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=23156

                          With metta, Dmytro