AN2.1.6 Sa.myojana Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2007
      Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina and friends,

      while the previous sutta has not been well done, I hope this one is
      better. I will catch up with the discussions later in the week.

      AN2.1.6 Sa.myojanasutta

      "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa. Katame dve? Yaa ca sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu
      assaadaanupassitaa, yaa ca sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu nibbidaanupassitaa.
      Sa.myojaniyesu, bhikkhave, dhammesu assaadaanupassii viharanto raaga.m
      na pajahati, dosa.m na pajahati, moha.m na pajahati. Raaga.m
      appahaaya, dosa.m appahaaya, moha.m appahaaya na parimuccati jaatiyaa
      jaraaya mara.nena sokehi paridevehi dukkhehi domanassehi upaayaasehi.
      Na parimuccati dukkhasmaati vadaami.

      "Sa.myojaniyesu, bhikkhave, dhammesu nibbidaanupassii viharanto
      raaga.m pajahati, dosa.m pajahati, moha.m pajahati. Raaga.m pahaaya,
      dosa.m pahaaya, moha.m pahaaya, parimuccati jaatiyaa jaraaya mara.nena
      sokehi paridevehi dukkhehi domanassehi upaayaasehi. Parimuccati
      dukkhasmaati vadaami. Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa"ti. Cha.t.tha.m.

      Sa.myojana Sutta
      fetter / sutta
      On Fetters

      "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa.
      these two / monks / things
      "O monks, (there are) these two things.

      * dveme = dve ime: these two.
      - dve (num) two.
      - aya.m (pron) this.
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * dhamma (m) thing.

      Katame dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      * katama (pron) which.

      Yaa ca sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu assaadaanupassitaa, yaa ca
      sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu nibbidaanupassitaa.
      which / and / among related to the fetters / among things / observed
      with pleasure / which / and / among related to the fetters / among
      things / observed with displeasure
      (Those) which (are) observed with pleasure among things related to the
      fetters, and (those) which (are) observed with displeasure among
      things related to the fetters.

      * ya (rel pron) which.
      * ca (conj) and.
      * sa.myojaniya (adj) connected with the sa.myojanas (fetters),
      favourable to the sa.myojanas.
      * assaadaanupassita (adj) observed with pleasure.
      - assaada (m) taste, sweetness, enjoyment, satisfaction.
      - anupassita (pp of anupassati) contemplated, observed.
      * nibbidaanupassita (adj) observed with displeasure.
      - nibbidaa (f) weariness, disgust.

      Sa.myojaniyesu, bhikkhave, dhammesu assaadaanupassii viharanto raaga.m
      na pajahati, dosa.m na pajahati, moha.m na pajahati.
      among related to the fetters / monks / among things / one observing
      with pleasure / abiding / lust / does not renounce / ill-will / does
      not renounce / delusion / does not renounce
      O monks, (while) abiding among things related to the fetters, (a
      person) observing with pleasure does not renounce lust, ill-will and
      delusion.

      * assaadaanupassin (adj) observing with pleasure
      - anupassin (adj) viewing, observing, realising.
      * viharanta (pr.p of viharati) abiding, dwelling.
      * raaga (m) lust, passion.
      * na (neg) not.
      * pajahati (v) renounces.
      * dosa (m) ill-will, anger.
      * moha (m) delusion.

      Raaga.m appahaaya, dosa.m appahaaya, moha.m appahaaya na parimuccati
      jaatiyaa jaraaya mara.nena sokehi paridevehi dukkhehi domanassehi
      upaayaasehi.
      lust / having not renounced / ill-will / having not renounced /
      delusion / having not renounced / is not released / from rebirth /
      from old age / through death / from sorrow / from lamentations / from
      pain / from distress / from tribulations
      Having not renounced lust, ill-will and delusion, (one) is not
      released from rebirth, old age, death, sorrow, lamentations, pain,
      distress and tribulations.

      * appahaaya = na pahaaya.
      - pahaaya (ger of pajahati) having renounced.
      * parimuccati (v) is released.
      * jaati (f) rebirth.
      * jaraa (f) old age.
      * mara.na (n) death.
      * soka (m) grief, sorrow.
      * parideva (m) lamentation.
      * dukkha (n) suffering, pain.
      * domanassa (n) distress.
      * upaayaasa (m) trouble, misery, unrest, tribulation, worry.

      Na parimuccati dukkhasmaati vadaami.
      is not released / from suffering / (I) say
      I say (one) is not relased from suffering.

      * vadati (v) says.

      "Sa.myojaniyesu, bhikkhave, dhammesu nibbidaanupassii viharanto
      raaga.m pajahati, dosa.m pajahati, moha.m pajahati.
      among related to the fetters / monks / among things / one observing
      with displeasure / abiding / lust / renounces / ill-will / renounces /
      delusion / renounces
      "O monks, (while) abiding among things related to the fetters, (a
      person) observing with displeasure renounces lust, ill-will and delusion.

      * nibbidaanupassin (adj) observing with displeasure.

      Raaga.m pahaaya, dosa.m pahaaya, moha.m pahaaya, parimuccati jaatiyaa
      jaraaya mara.nena sokehi paridevehi dukkhehi domanassehi upaayaasehi.
      lust / having renounced / ill-will / having renounced / delusion /
      having renounced / is released / from rebirth / from old age / through
      death / from sorrow / from lamentations / from pain / from distress /
      from tribulations
      Having renounced lust, ill-will and delusion, (one) is released from
      rebirth, old age, death, sorrow, lamentations, pain, distress and
      tribulations.

      Parimuccati dukkhasmaati vadaami.
      is released / from suffering / (I) say
      I say (one) is released from suffering.

      Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa"ti.
      these / indeed / monks / two / things
      Indeed, monks, these (are) the two things."

      * kho (indec) indeed.

      Cha.t.tha.m.
      sixth
      The sixth.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
        thank you very much. I was just now away for a few days. I shall
        study it with pleasure, but I found more than 250 posts in my inbox.
        But your last sutta was well done and you put in so much effort,
        looking up all the words. There are just some some additions and
        suggestions.
        Nina.
        Op 22-nov-2007, om 16:31 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2007

          Op 22-nov-2007, om 16:31 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          > Sa.myojaniyesu, bhikkhave, dhammesu nibbidaanupassii viharanto

          O monks, (while) abiding among things related to the fetters, (a
          person) observing with displeasure renounces lust, ill-will and
          delusion.
          --------
          N: I would like to discuss displeasure. This may cause
          misunderstandings, since displeasure seems dosa, dislike, hate, etc.
          which is negative, akusala. People may say: I dislike my akusala, but
          this is not wholesome. They only have more akusala because of their
          akusala.
          Nibbida can be translated as disenchantment or weariness. I prefer
          disenchantment, it implies detachment from akusala.
          As to viharanto, abiding, I think that this belongs to
          nibbidaanupassii, not to sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu.
          Sa.myojaniyesu dhammesu: this is an ablative. We need not translate
          it as among, but perhaps: looking at? what do you think?