Another self introduction!

  • dkotschessa
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2007
      Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself as another beginner in
      learning the pali language. Through listening to Dharma talks and
      readings online I have picked up more and more of some of the key
      pali term in relation to the dhamma, but have decided to take the
      next step now and dive all the way in!

      I live in Delaware and there doesn't seem to be any place to take
      classes around here, so I will have to rely on self-study for the
      most part. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

      Desilva's pali primer online:
      http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

      Bhikhhu Bodhi's Pali Language course online:
      http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/Pali/course_Pali.html

      and I just ordered "A New Course in Reading Pali: Entering the Word
      of the Buddha by James Gair and W.S. Karunatilleke"

      which is supposed to accompany this class.

      In addition I am trying to memorize verses from the vandana (book of
      devotional chanting).

      We'll see how it goes!

      -DaveK
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2007
        Dear Dave,

        Welcome to the wonderful world of Pali study. More your efforts be
        fruitful!

        I didn't realize that Bhikkhu Bodhi's Pali classes at Bodhi Monastery
        were online. How wonderful!

        The de Silva Primer is a good gentle introduction to Pali and to the
        concept of a language with declensions and conjugations, if you have
        little or no background in inflected languages. But don't spend too
        much time on it, as I think the exercises are fairly tedious and not
        at all relevant to anything in the canon. The Gair Reader is well
        worthwhile, though, and a very good way to get a sound base of Pali.

        Good luck.
        With metta,
        John
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "dkotschessa" <dkotschessa@...> wrote:

        > Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself as another beginner in
        > learning the pali language. Through listening to Dharma talks and
        > readings online I have picked up more and more of some of the key
        > pali term in relation to the dhamma, but have decided to take the
        > next step now and dive all the way in!
        >
        > I live in Delaware and there doesn't seem to be any place to take
        > classes around here, so I will have to rely on self-study for the
        > most part. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:
        >
        > Desilva's pali primer online:
        > http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/
        >
        > Bhikhhu Bodhi's Pali Language course online:
        > http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/Pali/course_Pali.html
        >
        > and I just ordered "A New Course in Reading Pali: Entering the Word
        > of the Buddha by James Gair and W.S. Karunatilleke"
        >
        > which is supposed to accompany this class.
        >
        > In addition I am trying to memorize verses from the vandana (book of
        > devotional chanting).
        >
        > We'll see how it goes!
        >
        > -DaveK

      • dkotschessa
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2007
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dave,
          >
          > Welcome to the wonderful world of Pali study. More your efforts be
          > fruitful!
          >
          > I didn't realize that Bhikkhu Bodhi's Pali classes at Bodhi
          Monastery
          > were online. How wonderful!
          >
          > The de Silva Primer is a good gentle introduction to Pali and to the
          > concept of a language with declensions and conjugations, if you have
          > little or no background in inflected languages. But don't spend too
          > much time on it, as I think the exercises are fairly tedious and not
          > at all relevant to anything in the canon. The Gair Reader is well
          > worthwhile, though, and a very good way to get a sound base of Pali.
          >
          > Good luck.
          > With metta,
          > John

          Thank you. I'm not sure how far I'll get with DeSilva now that I
          have my textbook for Bhikkhu Bodhi's course. I do like the way it
          introduces the grammar gradually. Bhikkhu Bodhi says that you can do
          the DeSilva primer in preparation for his course, but it looks like a
          lot of work! I am doing them side by side for now.

          I love how the Gair book starts right off with text from the canon.
          I get enormous motivation out of reading a page of the Buddha's words
          in Pali and being able to understand them.

          Thanks again for posting the learning files for the Input Easy
          program. I think my memorization skills are getting back in shape
          again. :)

          -DaveK