Re: The New Pali Course Part II [3-4/8]

  • Noah Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 88 , Nov 18, 2007
      > The Passive or Reflexive is used when the effect or the consequence of
      > the action expressed by the verb accrues to no one else but to the agent.

      I think that is not quite correct... the correct statement should be (regarding the passive kammavaacaka, anyway):

      The Passive is used when the effect or the consequence of the action expressed by the verb accrues to no one else but to the _owner of the verb_.

      This is an important distinction, because the owner of a kammavaacaka verb, as opposed to that of a kattuvaacaka (active voice) verb, is clearly not the agent (katta), but rather the patient (kamma). The agent is put in the third case (instrumental) and is not the owner of the verb.

      eg

      Suudo odana.m pacati (kattuvaacaka)
      Suudena odano paciyate (kammavaacaka)
      Tena bhuuyate (bhaavavaacaka)
      Saamiko suuda.m odana.m paaceti (hetukattuvaacaka)
      Saamikena suudena odano paacaapiyate (hetukammavaacaka)

      I'm not sure which pali voice the term middle voice refers to, probably bhaavavaacaka. In that case, there is another distinction, at least in the case where the ya is not assimilated; there is an addition of the aagama "i" before the ya in kammavaacaka. eg paciyate, kariyate, etc. The bhaavavaa has no "i". eg. bhuuyate "it is existed (by him)." i.e. he exists.

      > 66. Pa~ncamii, the Fourth Mode

      Should be Fifth Mode, no?

      > Gaccha is the base formed from the root gamu (to go).

      root /gam (no "u")

      > The Optative (Potential)
      >
      > 67. Sattamii, the Fifth Mode

      Should be Seventh Mode

      Best Wishes,

      Yuttadhammo (Phra Noah)
      Message 88 of 88 , Dec 27, 2008
        Dear Jim,

        I am glad you find the resource beneficial. The OpenLibrary only
        contains publications in the public domain, on the other hand, Google
        Books teamed up with many publishers to offer copyrighted materials
        for view online.

        Both are worthy and valuable projects for any student and book lovers.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        Thank-you very much for the link (openlibrary.org). This is the first
        time I'd heard of it and it is certainly a great resource for us Pali
        students. They currently list 113 downloadable books having Pali in
        the titles. Many of the classics are included such as Senart's work on
        Kaccaayana and Childer's Pali dictionary. They also list 2101 other
        Pali books but not available for downloading or reading online. I knew
        about Clough's and D'Alwis's works but had no idea that so many other
        Pali books have come online as well. It's really quite overwhelming
        and I'll be spending a good part of my winter downloading these books
        to add to my collection.

        > Clough - http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6534987M
        > D'Alwis - http://openlibrary.org/b/OL14015171M
        > http://openlibrary.org/search?q=pali (click Available on the