DN 31 Translation - part 6

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2007

      Continuation
      of the DN 31 translation and grammatical analysis:

      "Tena hi gahapati-putta su.naahi saadhuka.m manasikarohi bhaasissaamiiti."

      tena hi - ind - now then

      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd, m-a/voc/sg - O young householder

      gaha-pati - gen TP cpd, m-i/stem - householder

      gaha - m-a/stem - house

      pati - m-i/stem - lord

      putta - m-a/voc/sg - son

      su.naahi - (s)su V impv, 2nd/sg - listen

      saadhuka.m - adv - well

      manasi-karohi - verbal cpd, impv, 2nd/sg - pay attention

      manasi* - n-as/loc/sg
      - in the mind [*Compounds ending in forms of karoti modify the ending of the
      previous noun or adjective to –i.]

      karohi - kar VI, impv, 2nd/sg - make

      [bhaasissaami iti (bhaasissaamiiti: sandhi coal)]

      bhaasissaami - bhas I fut, 1st/sg - I will
      speak

      iti - ind - (end-quote)

      "Very well, young man, listen and
      pay careful attention while I tell you."

      "Evam bhante ti" kho Si"ngaalako gahapati-putto Bhagavato
      paccassosi. Bhagavaa etad avoca:

      eva.m (evam: sandhi assim) - adv - thus

      bhante - ind - venerable sir

      ti (iti) - ind - (end-quote)

      kho - ind emph enc - indeed

      Si"ngaalako - m-a/nom/sg - Sigaalaka

      gahapati-putto - gen TP cpd *, m-a/nom/sg - the young householder

      bhagavato - m-ant/dat/sg - to the Blessed One

      paccassosi - pati+(s)su V aor, 3rd/sg -
      he assented

      Bhagavaa - m-ant/nom/sg - the Blessed One

      etad - dem pro, n/acc/sg - this

      avoca - vac I, aor, 3rd/sg - he said

      "Yes,
      dear sir," agreed Sigaalaka.