Re: SV: [Pali] World Tipitaka Edition

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Gunnar,

      --- Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@yahoo. de> skrev:

      > In one of your recent threads (I did not find
      > anything related here). Does anyone of you have more
      > info about when and how this great edition is going
      > to be released to the general public. They have an
      > online store on their website but that does not
      > really work.
      >
      > I just found them by accident while looking for
      > pictures of Kelaniya on www.flickr.com
      > It seems like the Thai royal family is on a
      > pilgrimage with this new Pali Edition presenting it
      > to certain institutions first.

      That's the problem. They have presented the edition
      twice at the Royal Library in Stockholm, which didn't
      get a copy though; instead they have donated one copy
      to the university library of Upsala, and perhaps one
      to that of Lund - on paper only, and I live about
      sixty kilometres from the closest, so I use the VRI
      edition on-online; less well proof-read, perhaps, but
      at least available.

      I have told the local representatives of the Thai
      project that I think bowing down to the book covers
      might perhaps be less useful than reading the texts
      and trying to understand them

      ...that of course would be very unfortunate. The old Siam Edition - on
      display in so many Thai temples - to have them in a Roman alphabet and be
      able to outfit each Theravada temple around the globe ... would be a great
      benefit indeed to Dhamma studies (as they determine as one of their goals).

      Anyway, i sent them an email and maybe i get some info back. It would really
      add to the resources of our local Buddhist temple if we'd had such an
      edition for everyone to look into (and bow in front of, if good karma needs
      be)

      best wishes,
      Lennart

      PS: but why present it in Sweden first??? Why not Burma, Sri Lanka or
      Singapor? :-)

    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> skrev:

        > Anyway, i sent them an email and maybe i get some
        > info back. It would really
        > add to the resources of our local Buddhist temple if
        > we'd had such an
        > edition for everyone to look into (and bow in front
        > of, if good karma needs
        > be)

        Prostrations in addition to study is all right;
        prostrations instead of study is another thing. (Same
        for both in relation to Dhamma practice, of course.)

        > PS: but why present it in Sweden first??? Why not
        > Burma, Sri Lanka or
        > Singapor? :-)

        Perhaps a case of "Royalties of all countries, unite!"

        Burma, Sri Lanka and Singapore are republics; Sweden
        is a monarchy, and our royal house has old ties to
        that of Siam.

        At the time of Chulalongkorn, the independence of Siam
        depended on the balance of power between Britain and
        France, so to strengthen it he needed Western allies
        strong enough to support him, but not strong enough to
        conquer him. Germany was much to strong at the time,
        but the Scandinavian countries suited him perfectly,
        so he came here to visit his colleagues, and it seems
        he got the support he needed; and Siam never became
        formally colonized.

        Gunnar

        http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • Lennart Lopin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          Just for those interested. I got a reply today (they added a list of other
          people as recipients of this email...seems that i had not been the only one
          asking that question...

          from World Tipitaka Project <worldtipitaka@...> hide
          details 10:33 am (5 hours ago) to cc

          Senaratne Off <sena@...>,
          "S. Senaratne Home" <ssena@...>,
          Supriya Boonyagate <supriya@...>,
          prasit.director@...,
          manop@...,
          Dinesh Kulatunga <dinesh@...> date Nov 5, 2007 10:33
          AM subject
          RE: World Tipitaka Edition

          Dear Patron

          Thank you for your inquiry.

          We will notify the committee and send you more information regarding how to
          make a formal request of the royal gift of the World Tipitaka Edition from
          HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana, Honorary President of the World Tipitaka
          Presentation Worldwide.

          Enclosed please find weblink to the World Tipitaka Presentation Documentary
          :

          Tipitaka Presentation to Thailand &
          Sweden<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3315296372256042541>

          Tipitaka Presentation to Sri
          Lanka<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6261871661285910642>

          Policy Framework for Tipitaka
          Presentation<http://www.dhammasociety.org/mds/content/view/85/36/>

          Yours
          Dhamma Society's World Tipitaka in Roman Script

          www.dhammasociety.org