World Tipitaka Edition

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi friends,

      I did not check in for a long time so i am wondering whether you discussed this:

      http://www.dhammasociety.org/mds/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

      In one of your recent threads (I did not find anything related here). Does anyone of you have more info about when and how this great edition is going to be released to the general public. They have an online store on their website but that does not really work.

      I just found them by accident while looking for pictures of Kelaniya on www.flickr.com
      It seems like the Thai royal family is on a pilgrimage with this new Pali Edition presenting it to certain institutions first. You should really checkout the flickr photos they uploaded..some very beautiful archive pictures of the 6th Council which i never saw before:

      http://flickr.com/photos/dhammasociety/536912274/in/set-72157600342078895/

      mettaya,
      Lennart

      __________________________________ Ihre erste Baustelle? Wissenswertes für Bastler und Hobby Handwerker. www.yahoo.de/clever
    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> skrev:

        > In one of your recent threads (I did not find
        > anything related here). Does anyone of you have more
        > info about when and how this great edition is going
        > to be released to the general public. They have an
        > online store on their website but that does not
        > really work.
        >
        > I just found them by accident while looking for
        > pictures of Kelaniya on www.flickr.com
        > It seems like the Thai royal family is on a
        > pilgrimage with this new Pali Edition presenting it
        > to certain institutions first.

        That's the problem. They have presented the edition
        twice at the Royal Library in Stockholm, which didn't
        get a copy though; instead they have donated one copy
        to the university library of Upsala, and perhaps one
        to that of Lund - on paper only, and I live about
        sixty kilometres from the closest, so I use the VRI
        edition on-online; less well proof-read, perhaps, but
        at least available.

        I have told the local representatives of the Thai
        project that I think bowing down to the book covers
        might perhaps be less useful than reading the texts
        and trying to understand them, but I have met no
        understanding for that point of view.

        It seems their attitude is more ceremonial than
        practical. A lot of love's labour lost, I think.

        Gunnar

        http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • Lennart Lopin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi Gunnar,

          --- Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@yahoo. de> skrev:

          > In one of your recent threads (I did not find
          > anything related here). Does anyone of you have more
          > info about when and how this great edition is going
          > to be released to the general public. They have an
          > online store on their website but that does not
          > really work.
          >
          > I just found them by accident while looking for
          > pictures of Kelaniya on www.flickr.com
          > It seems like the Thai royal family is on a
          > pilgrimage with this new Pali Edition presenting it
          > to certain institutions first.

          That's the problem. They have presented the edition
          twice at the Royal Library in Stockholm, which didn't
          get a copy though; instead they have donated one copy
          to the university library of Upsala, and perhaps one
          to that of Lund - on paper only, and I live about
          sixty kilometres from the closest, so I use the VRI
          edition on-online; less well proof-read, perhaps, but
          at least available.

          I have told the local representatives of the Thai
          project that I think bowing down to the book covers
          might perhaps be less useful than reading the texts
          and trying to understand them

          ...that of course would be very unfortunate. The old Siam Edition - on
          display in so many Thai temples - to have them in a Roman alphabet and be
          able to outfit each Theravada temple around the globe ... would be a great
          benefit indeed to Dhamma studies (as they determine as one of their goals).

          Anyway, i sent them an email and maybe i get some info back. It would really
          add to the resources of our local Buddhist temple if we'd had such an
          edition for everyone to look into (and bow in front of, if good karma needs
          be)

          best wishes,
          Lennart

          PS: but why present it in Sweden first??? Why not Burma, Sri Lanka or
          Singapor? :-)

        • Gunnar Gällmo
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            --- Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> skrev:

            > Anyway, i sent them an email and maybe i get some
            > info back. It would really
            > add to the resources of our local Buddhist temple if
            > we'd had such an
            > edition for everyone to look into (and bow in front
            > of, if good karma needs
            > be)

            Prostrations in addition to study is all right;
            prostrations instead of study is another thing. (Same
            for both in relation to Dhamma practice, of course.)

            > PS: but why present it in Sweden first??? Why not
            > Burma, Sri Lanka or
            > Singapor? :-)

            Perhaps a case of "Royalties of all countries, unite!"

            Burma, Sri Lanka and Singapore are republics; Sweden
            is a monarchy, and our royal house has old ties to
            that of Siam.

            At the time of Chulalongkorn, the independence of Siam
            depended on the balance of power between Britain and
            France, so to strengthen it he needed Western allies
            strong enough to support him, but not strong enough to
            conquer him. Germany was much to strong at the time,
            but the Scandinavian countries suited him perfectly,
            so he came here to visit his colleagues, and it seems
            he got the support he needed; and Siam never became
            formally colonized.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
              Just for those interested. I got a reply today (they added a list of other
              people as recipients of this email...seems that i had not been the only one
              asking that question...

              from World Tipitaka Project <worldtipitaka@...> hide
              details 10:33 am (5 hours ago) to cc

              Senaratne Off <sena@...>,
              "S. Senaratne Home" <ssena@...>,
              Supriya Boonyagate <supriya@...>,
              prasit.director@...,
              manop@...,
              Dinesh Kulatunga <dinesh@...> date Nov 5, 2007 10:33
              AM subject
              RE: World Tipitaka Edition

              Dear Patron

              Thank you for your inquiry.

              We will notify the committee and send you more information regarding how to
              make a formal request of the royal gift of the World Tipitaka Edition from
              HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana, Honorary President of the World Tipitaka
              Presentation Worldwide.

              Enclosed please find weblink to the World Tipitaka Presentation Documentary
              :

              Tipitaka Presentation to Thailand &
              Sweden<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3315296372256042541>

              Tipitaka Presentation to Sri
              Lanka<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6261871661285910642>

              Policy Framework for Tipitaka
              Presentation<http://www.dhammasociety.org/mds/content/view/85/36/>

              Yours
              Dhamma Society's World Tipitaka in Roman Script

              www.dhammasociety.org