Re: sugato, tathaagato

  • ypong001
    Message 1 of 70 , Sep 7, 2002
      Dear Dr Bittar and friends,

      thank you. As there is no proposal for a vote, I will take it that we
      will keep the Pali word "Sugata" (and its variances) in English
      translation. I shall follow up by putting everything together and
      post what we have done so far in a moment.

      Metta
      Yong Peng

      --- Buddhayatana wrote:
      > Thank you Robert and everyone for your contributions to the sugato,
      > tathaagato translation debate.
      >
      > I am personnally accustomed to the litteral "well-gone", which has
      a poetic savour in it (le voyage...).

      > As for Tathaagato, of course I do not want to reopen an old
      discussion (see Buddhaghosha...) but it's "thus gone" as well
      as "thus come". The litteral meanings and inherent polysemy of this
      word gives it a mysterious and rather feline flavour...

      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 16, 2003
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks a lot for your help, Nina. I have done the compilation and it
        is now available here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/strans/stransload.php?page=mn062s04

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > > For "tejo", would you say that "fire" is a better word
        that "heat" as Buddhadatta explains tejodhaatu as the element of heat?
        > N: The element of fire represents the characteristic of heat,
        manifesting itself as heat or cold. Cold: a matter of degree of this
        element. It is experienced through the bodysense, also the internal
        heat. Rahula had to know both the internal and external heat, so that
        he would know: internal or external, it is the same, just an element,
        and this would help him to be less attached to attabhaava, the body.
        > Since Fire is more symbolic, I am inclined to the word heat or
        temperature.
        > But temperature may be controversial.
        >
        > > Y: Do you think that we can make use of parenthesis in this case
        to give the exploded meaning of the Pali term, such as whereby (one)
        is heated, and whereby (one) is digested (, aged and consumed)
        > N: one is not digested, but the food, that what is eaten, is
        digested. The food is consumed. But the body is aging by the element
        of heat. Thus, this way may not be so satisfactory.