RE: [Pali] DN 31 Translation - part 3

  • D C Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
      Dear Dave,

      Many thanks for the prompt reply.

      I am sorry about the slip, not giving the English Name of the Sutta or the
      reference.

      There is an English translation by the name: �The Exposition of
      Non-conflict� by Bhikkhu ~Naanamoli, BPS publication. You can download that
      from their site. Wheel No. 169. The Sutta is MN 139. Here is the exact
      passage from the Sutta. I am sure you can get hold of the Pali version
      without trouble. VRI CD.

      12. �He should not insist on local languageHYPERLINK \l
      "BM__ftn1"[1][4]. He should not override normal usage.� So it was said. And
      with reference to what was this said?

      And how does there come to be insistence on local language and overriding of
      normal usage?

      Here, bhikkhus, in different localities they call the same thing a �dish�
      (paati) or they call it a �bowl� (patta) or they call it a �vessel� (vittha)
      or they call it a �saucer (sarava) or they call it a �pan� (dhaaropa) or
      they call it a �pot� (po.na) or they call it a �mug� (hana) or they call it
      a �basin� (pisiila). So whatever they call it in such and such a locality,
      he speaks accordingly, firmly adhering to and insisting on that, �Only this
      is true, anything else is wrong.� This is how there comes to be insistence
      on local language and overriding of normal usage.

      And how does there come to be non-insistence on local language and
      non-overriding of normal usage?

      Here, bhikkhus, in different localities � they call it a �basin� (pisiila).
      So whatever they call it in such and such a locality, he speaks accordingly
      without adhering, (thus): �These Venerable Ones, it seems, are speaking with
      reference to this.� This is how there comes to be non-insistence on local
      language and non-overriding of normal usage.

      So it was with reference to this that it was said, �He should not insist on
      local language. He should not override normal usage.�

      By the way, this passage has a very deep meaning.

      If you can�t get hold the thing please send me an e-m direct. My e-mail is
      HYPERLINK "mailto:dcwijeratna@..."dcwijeratna@.... I wouldn�t
      want to copy that file and send it to all the Pali group. Most of whom will
      not even look at it.

      By the way, when you said you would translate the Singaalovaada sutta, I
      sent you a letter of appreciation. I haven�t changed my mind. The e-m I sent
      was purely technical.

      If there is anything else, I can do please let me know.

      With mettaa,

      D. C. Wijeratna

      P. S. My friends call me DC

      _____

      HYPERLINK \l "BM__ftnref1"

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      5:11 PM

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      5:11 PM

    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
        Dear Dave and DC,

        Thanks very much for your comments/feedback on the translation and
        grammatical analysis of DN 31 that I am sending to the group in small
        pieces.

        In the detailed word-by-word grammatical analysis we (a group of 3 of
        us) aimed for literal accuracy, whereas in the final translation our
        goal was for idiomatic, readable, modern English. And bear in mind
        that the final translation result was always a consensus by committee
        and not necessarily how I would have rendered the final version myself.

        Clearly "gahapati-putta" literally means "householder's son", but that
        is not how someone would be addressed in modern English, and we chose
        the more colloquial "young man" in the vocative, and "young
        householder" for other cases. I would note too that Bhikkhu Bodhi
        translates "devaputta" as "young deva" rather than "son of a deva", so
        we have a solid precedent.

        All comments are appreciated.

        With metta,
        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
          Dear John,

          Also in my own translation (http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com), I made
          a note that by the time the Buddha speaks to Sigala, he is the head of the
          house. Sigalapita has already passed away.

          Thanks for your efforts again,

          Metta,

          Piya Tan

          On 10/17/07, John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > translate
          > > > it to "idiomatic English".
          > > >
          > > > But I think it is a grave error in translating ancient text to a
          > modern
          > > > language. Words have a meaning only within a context. And that
          > cannot be
          > > > reproduced today, especially in a different tongue.
          > > >
          > > > Take this example, gahapati, is a generic term by the Buddha to
          > indicate
          > > > what we might call head of a household, not even a householder.
          > > > Gahapatiputta really seem to distinguish between a monks and lay
          > people. It
          > > > really means only that he is a lay person who is not a head of a
          > household.
          > > > It is same as 'gihii'. In any case, there is no way to bring the word
          > > > 'young'; puttas also become old!!!
          > > >
          > > > These are some of my thoughts. I think the solution is to use an

          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644
          Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com