RE: [Pali] hello!

  • D C Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
      Dear Chela,

      This is in reply to your e-m to the Pali group

      I thought I would respond to it because I am from Sri Lanka.

      I notice that that you have been asked to use Sinhala script. That is a good
      idea. But one fact you need to consider is the availability of books in
      Sinhal scrip in your country. The other point is in an international
      setting, Pali in Sinhal script may not be very useful. What is considered
      the most authoratitave collection of Pali literature is that published by
      the Pali text society. It is in Roman characters with diacritical marks.
      They also have a system of writing Pali without diacritical characters. If
      you visit their Website [PTS] you can get the necessary information. On the
      other hand the whole of Tipitaka and the commentaries and even some other
      texts are available in many scripts�Sinhala, Thai, Burmese, Roman etc. from
      Vipassanaa research Institue. They too have a website.

      I am also like you a beginning student of Pali. Only a couple of weeks ago I
      joined the Pali Study Group. What is your interest in learning Pali as a
      student of linguistics or you want to study Pali literature?

      Any way, if there is any help I can do please let me know.

      With mettaa, (This is a Pali word meaning friendliness)

      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
        hello!

        i'm going to be a dasasila mata, that's why i'm learning pali. i'm going to sri lanka for training, that's why i'm learning pali in sinhala script. my pali teacher insists that i learn sinhala script. i have a big paritta book in sinhala script and there's a buddhist library that have some books in sinhala script in the philippines. it wil not be a problem, i think, if i learn the sinhala script as well as the roman letters.

        aside from the first reason, i also wanted to translate suttas in my native tongue. my country are mostly christians. buddhism are limited to few chinese communities (most of them doesn't even truly comprehend what buddhism really is). i want my countrymen to understand Buddhism through our language. and by translating the suttas to our native tongue, i believe will help my countrymen understand what Buddhism is.

        after learning the basics of Pali, i am planning to go to sri lanka to study there, aside from becoming a dasasila mata. there are no opportunities to study in my country. monasteries and temples here are Mahayana and Tibetan tradition. and they are not really into the studying of the dhamma, only pujas and rituals, etc. besides, the monks and nuns here are cannot communicate both in English and Filipino, only Chinese or Tibetan.

        i was just fortunate to meet a Sri Lankan monk, who has been here in my country for 7 years. he's very willing to teach dhamma and pali.

        anyway, i have written too much. i'll ask if i will encounter any problems regarding my study.

        thanks!

        metta,
        chela

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
          Hello Chela,

          Please send my regards to Venerable Sumangala. He is the one who
          introduced me to Pali when I used to live in the Philippines. We
          started together working on Venerable Buddhadatta's book. I am very
          grateful to Venerable Sumangala for having introduced me to the Pali
          language. Don't give up your studies. You will see that after a lot of
          efforts and more or less time it starts to get very rewarding!

          Regarding the pronunciation, I have done many recording of Ven.
          Sumangala's voice. If you want I could send you those files. I am sure
          Venerable would agree.

          With Metta,

          Florent

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Maradhita Kumari" <schlurpmann@...> wrote:

          > hello!
          >
          > I'm chela sanchez, from the Philippines. i'm a new Pali student. i
          > have just started to study a few weeks ago. A Sri Lankan monk is
          > teaching me, but we do not meet that often enough. so i'm basically
          > studying on my own.
          >
          > so far, the only difficulty that i encounter is the pronunciation of
          > the words. my native language has only 5 vowel sounds, all of which
          > are open and long vowels. so the difficulty lies in the
          > pronunciation of the short vowels.
          >
          > as for the grammar, i have not much difficulty, as i have learned
          > latin, which is very useful as a foundation to the word inflexions.
          >
          > anyway, since i do not often meet with my Pali teacher, he told me
          > to practice writing and reading pali using the Sinhala script. its
          > not that difficult. i just need some time getting used to the
          > script.
          >
          > that's my experience of pali so far.
          >
          > Many buddhists in my country are saying that learning pali is a
          > waste of time. but i think they are just turned off because they
          > find it difficult to learn this beautiful language. for me, no
          > language is difficult if you find it beautiful and deep with
          > meanings. i have tried to learn different language. pali is the
          > most challenging so far. but its difficulty will not stop me from
          > learning this.
          >
          > anyway, i hope that by joining this group, i'd be able to learn pali
          > quickly.
          >

          > metta,
          > chela sanchez

        • chela sanchez
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
            hello florent

            i will send your regards to him. i will meet him this tuesday for another pali lesson.
            please do send me your recordings. i want to practice the proper pronunciation. otherwise i will have to meet him wearing helmet to prevent "temple knocks". just kidding.

            chela

            flrobert2000 <flrobert2000@...> wrote: Hello Chela,

            Please send my regards to Venerable Sumangala. He is the one who
            introduced me to Pali when I used to live in the Philippines. We
            started together working on Venerable Buddhadatta's book. I am very
            grateful to Venerable Sumangala for having introduced me to the Pali
            language. Don't give up your studies. You will see that after a lot of
            efforts and more or less time it starts to get very rewarding!

            Regarding the pronunciation, I have done many recording of Ven.
            Sumangala's voice. If you want I could send you those files. I am sure
            Venerable would agree.

            With Metta,

            Florent

            GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA!

            OM MANI PADME HUM!