Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part II [2-5/8]

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 6, 2007
      Dear Yong Peng and Venerable Yuttadhammo,
      Thank you very much, Yong Peng, the subject of the compounds,
      Tappurisa and dvanda is very important.
      Venerable Yuttadhammo, if you have time, it would be useful if you
      could add some from the Thai grammar. The more info the better. Then
      it can sink in more!
      I will not react much, since I am leaving on Wednesday for India.
      Nina.
      Op 6-okt-2007, om 13:22 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007

        I wish you a safe and pleasant journey.

        I will not react much, since I am leaving on Wednesday for India.
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
          thank you very much.
          Nina.
          Op 9-okt-2007, om 16:35 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 13, 2007
            [2-6/8]

            The New Pali Course Part II (1938)

            Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

            Exercise 8

            Translate into English and define the compounds

            1. "Mahaasatto pana aagacchanto kahaapa.nasahassena saddhi.m eka.m
            saa.taka.m tambuulapasibbake .thapetvaa aagato." [J. Mahosadha]

            2. "Uttama`ngaruhaa mayha.m
            Ime jaataa vayoharaa;
            Paatubhuutaa devaduutaa;
            Pabbajjaasamayo mama." [J. Makhaadeva]

            3. Pa.n.dito uppaadita-dhana~n ca aaha.ta-dhana~n ca sabba.m tassaa
            maataapitunna.m datvaa te samassaasetvaa tam aadaya nagaram eva agamaasi.

            4. "Jarasakko amhe matte katvaa mahaasamuddapi.t.the khipitvaa
            amhaaka.m devanagara.m ga.nhi; maya.m tena saddhi.m yujjhitvaa
            amhaaka.m devanagaram eva ga.nhissaama." [J. Kulaavaka]

            5. "Tassa gamanamagge simbaliivana.m taalavana.m viya chijjitvaa
            samuddapi.t.the pati; supa.n.na-potakaa samuddapi.t.the parivattantaa
            mahaarava.m ravi.msu." [Ibid.]

            6. "Mahaamaayaa-devii... gandhodakena nahaayitvaa cattaari
            satasahassaani vissajjetvaa mahaadaana.m datvaa...
            ala`nkata-pa.tiyatta.m sirigabbha.m pavisitvaa sirisayane nipannaa...
            ima.m supinam addasa." [J. Nidaana]

            7. "Dvinnam pana nagaraana.m antare ubhaya-nagaravaasiinam pi
            Lumbiniivana.m naama ma`ngala-saalavana.m atthi." [Ibid]

            8. "Sakala.m Lumbiniivana.m Cittalataavana-sadisa.m mahaanubhaavassa
            ra~n~no susajjita-aapaanama.n.dala.m viya ahosi." [Ibid]

            9. "Bodhisatto pana dhammaasanato otaranto dhammakathiko viya... dve
            hatthe dve paade ca pasaaretvaa... Kaasika-vatthe
            nikkhitta-ma.niratana.m viya jotanto maatukucchito nikkhami." [Ibid]

            10. "Ath'ekadivasa.m bodhisatto uyyaanabhuumi.m gantukaamo saarathi.m
            aamantetvaa 'ratha.m yojehii'ti aaha." [Ibid]

            New words.

            aagacchanta (pr.p) coming.
            aapaanama.n.dala (n) drinking or banqueting hall.
            aamantetvaa (abs) having called.
            uttama`ngaruha (m) hair [on the head].
            uppaadita (pp) raised, produced.
            uyyaanabhuumi (f) park, garden.
            otaranta (pr.p) getting down.
            kahaapa.na (m/n) a coin [value of which was about 2s].
            kaasikavattha (n) cloth made in Kaasi-territory.
            khipitvaa (abs) having thrown.
            gandhodaka (n) scented water.
            gamanamagga (n) the path that is to be gone.
            cittalataavana (n) name of a pleasance in Indra's city.
            jara-sakka (m) old Sakka, the king of devas.
            jaata (pp) born, come into existence.
            jotanta (pr.p) glowing.
            tambuula (n) betel [leaf].
            taalavana (n) palmyra grove.
            devaduuta (m) heavenly messenger.
            dhammaasana (n) pulpit.
            dhammakathika (m) preacher.
            nagaravaasii (m) citizen.
            nikkhitta (pp) kept, placed.
            nipanna (pp) lying down.
            pa.tiyatta (pp) prepared.
            pa.tivedeti (v) informs.
            pabbajjaasamaya (m) time to become a monk.
            payojayati (v) performs.
            parivattanta (pr.p) rolling, turning around.
            pasaaretvaa (abs) having stretched.
            pasibbaka (m) purse.
            paatubhuuta (pp) manifested.
            potaka (m) young one.
            ma`ngala (adj) royal, lit. auspicious.
            ma.niratana (n) a precious gem.
            matta (pp) intoxicated.
            maatukucchi (m/f) mother's womb.
            yujjhitvaa (abs) having fought.
            ravi (v) screamed.
            vayohara (adj) snatching the life.
            sadisa (adj) similar.
            samassaasetvaa (abs) having consoled.
            samudda-pi.t.tha (n) surface of the sea.
            simbalii (m) silk cotton tree.
            supa.n.na (m) a kind of fairy bird.
            saataka (m/n) cloth.
            sirigabbha (m) royal chamber.
            sirisayana (n) state couch.
            supina (n) dream.
            susajjita (pp) well prepared.

            Translate into Pali, forming compounds where it is suited

            1. The man who went to the village brought a heap of corn to the city
            and sold them to the citizens.

            2. Lions, tigers, leopards, bears and deer will not live in a burnt
            forest.

            3. There are coconut trees, palmyras, jak trees, mango and bread-fruit
            trees in the villages and towns in Ceylon.

            4. The sun, moon and stars move in the sky giving light and delight to
            the people living in the world.

            5. All, young and old, rich and poor, suffer great pain when they are
            bitten by serpents.

            6. The monkey, fallen from the branch of that tree, was bitten by the
            village dogs.

            7. The horses, cattle, buffaloes, goats and sheep released from their
            confinements, wandered in forests and fields eating grass and drinking
            water.

            8. The frog dwelling in a well takes it as the greatest deposit of
            water in the world; in the same way, a foolish man thinks this
            knowledge is very extensive.

            9. Then the Enlightened One, at the end of those seven days, rose from
            the seat at the foot of the Bodhi-tree and went to the Ajapaala
            banyan-tree.

            10. Tapussa and Bhalluka, the merchants, bowed down in reverence at
            the feet of the Blessed One and said: "We take our refuge, lord, in
            the Blessed One and in the Dhamma."

            11. Now the young prince bade his charioteer to make ready the state
            chariot, saying: "Let us go to the pleasance."

            12. At that time the Buddha, Diipa`nkara, accompanied by a hundred
            thousand saints, reached the city of Ramma, and took up His residence
            in the great monastery of Sudassana.

            New words.

            accompanied by = parivuta (pp).
            bade = aa.naapesi (v).
            buffalo = mahisa (m).
            banyan-tree = nigrodha (m).
            bear = accha (m).
            bread-fruit = labuja (m).

            (to be continued...)
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 19, 2007
              [2-7/8]

              The New Pali Course Part II (1938)

              Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

              delight = piiti (f).
              deposit = aasaya, aakara (m).
              extensive = pattha.ta (pp).
              frog = ma.n.duuka (m).
              greatest = mahattama (adj).
              in reverence = gaaravena, sagaarava.m (adv).
              knowledge = ~naa.na (n).
              lord = bhante (voc).
              makes ready = yojeti, pa.tiyaadeti (v).
              mango = amba (m).
              moves = sa~ncarati (v).
              pain = vedanaa (f).
              pleasance = uyyaana (n).
              poor = dukkhita, da.lidda (adj).
              reached = upaagami (v).
              saying = vadanta (pr.p).
              sheep = me.n.da (m).
              star = taarakaa (f).
              suffers = vindati (v).
              takes refuge = sara.na.m gacchati (v).
              tiger = vyaggha (m).
              took up his residence = vihari (v).
              town = nagara (n).
              washing = dhovana (ger).
              well = kuupa (m).
              went forth to meet = paccuggamana.m kari (v).

              Combine the following words

              1. rukkha.m + aaruu.lho
              2. buddhena + bhaasito
              3. ratta.m + vattha.m
              4. seto + go.no
              5. raajato + bhaya.m
              6. tisso + rattiyo
              7. cattaari + saccaani
              8. nacca~nca giita~nca vaadita~nca

              Define the following compounds

              1. gehagato
              2. mukha-naasika.m
              3. pattaciivara.m
              4. khattiya-braahma.naa
              5. mahaamoho
              6. majjhimapuriso
              7. cha.laayatana.m
              8. alaabho
              9. anasso
              10. puraa.navihaaro
              11. guttilaacariyo
              12. mahosadha-pa.n.dito
              13. dasasiila.m

              5. Avyayiibhaava-samaasa

              Adverbial Compounds

              54. When the first member of a compound is an indeclinable and the
              second a substantive, it is called an Avyayiibhaava Compound.

              The whole compound becomes an adverb, taking the ending of the
              (neuter) accusative singular. Some case (usually oblique) is implied
              in the substantial member according to the meaning of the indeclinable.

              Examples

              nagarassa + upa = upanagara.m (near the town)
              rathassa + anu = anuratha.m (behind the chariot)
              ghara.m + anu = anughara.m (house after house)
              anu + addhamaasa.m = anvaddhamaasa.m (once in a fortnight)
              ma~ncassa + he.t.thaa = he.t.thaama~nca.m (under the bed)
              paasaadassa + upari = uparipaasaada.m (upon the mansion, i.e. on the
              terrace, upstairs)
              paakaarassa + tiro = tiropaakaara.m (across or through the rampart)
              gaamassa + anto = antogaama.m (inside the village)
              sota.m + pa.ti = pa.tisota.m (against the current)
              kamo + yathaa = yathaakkama.m (according to the order)
              vuddhaana.m (pa.tipaa.ti) + yathaa = yathaavuddha.m (following seniority)
              bhattassa + pacchaa = pacchaabhatta.m (after the meal, i.e. afternoon)
              ga`ngaaya + adho = adhoga`nga.m (down the river)
              jiivo + yaava = yaavajiiva.m (as long as life lasts)
              bala.m + yathaa = yathaabala.m (according to one's strength, i.e. to
              the best of one's ability)
              nagarato + bahi = bahinagara.m (outside the town)
              attho + yaava = yaavadattha.m (as much as desired, to the full)
              aa (yaava) + samudda.m = aasamudda.m (as far as the sea-coast)
              vaatassa + anu = anuvaata.m (following or with the wind)

              6. Bahubbiihi (Relative) Compounds

              55. When two or more substantives are combined together and the
              resultant denotes something other than what is meant by the two
              members severally, the compound is called Bahubbiihi = Relative or
              Attributive.

              This compound requires the addition of such relative pronouns as: "he,
              who, that, which", etc. to express its full meaning; therefore this is
              used as an adjective and takes any gender according to that of the
              noun which it qualifies.

              Examples

              chinnaa + hatthaa (yassa, so) = chinnahattho, (a man) whose hand have
              been cut off
              lohitena + makkhita.m + siisa.m (yassa, so) = lohitamakkhitasiiso, (a
              man) whose head is besmeared with blood
              aaruu.lhaa + vaa.nijaa (ya.m, saa) = aaruu.lhavaa.nijaa, (a ship) on
              which the merchants have embarked
              jitaani + indriyaani (yena, so) = jitindriyo, (a monk) who has subdued
              his senses
              dinno + su`nko (yassa, so) = dinnasu`nko, (an official) to whom the
              tax is given
              niggataa + janaa (yasmaa, so) = niggatajano, (a village) from where
              the people have departed
              khii.naa + aasavaa (yassa, so) = khii.naasavo, (a saint) whose
              passions are destroyed
              sampannaani + sassaani (yasmi.m, so) = sampannasasso, (a province) in
              which the crops are abundant

              56. Feminine nouns ending in ii, uu, and the stems ending in -tu,
              generally take the suffix ka, when they are the last member of a
              Bahubbiihi.

              Examples

              bahavo + nadiyo (yasmi.m, so) = bahunadiko, (a country) where there
              are many rivers
              apagato + satthaa (yasmaa, so) = apagatasatthuka.m, (the doctrine)
              whose founder is dead
              bahuu + vadhuyo (yassa, so) = bahuvadhuko, (a person) who has many wives

              57. When a feminine noun is the last member of a Bahubbiihi, it takes
              the masculine, or neuter form, if it is determining a masculine or
              neuter noun; also the first member, if it is feminine, drops its
              feminine sign.

              Examples

              mahantii + pa~n~naa (yassa, so) = mahaapa~n~no, (a person) who has
              great wisdom
              pahuutaa + jivhaa (yassa, so) = pahuutajivho, (a man) whose tongue is
              broader (than that of others)

              (to be continued...)
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 26, 2007
                [2-8/8]

                The New Pali Course Part II (1938)

                Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                acalaa + saddhaa (yassa, so) = acalasaddho, (a man) with an unshakable
                faith
                diighaa + ja`nghaa (yassa, so) = diighaja`ngho, (a man) whose shanks
                are long

                Exercise 9

                Translate into English and define the compounds

                1. Sura-nara-mahito Satthaa bhikkhusahassa-parivuto
                aaki.n.na-manussa.m Raajagahanagara.m paavisi.

                2. Aaruu.lha-vaa.nijaa mahaanaavaa nirupaddavena mahaasamudda.m
                taritvaa sattaahena Jambudiipa.m sampaapu.ni.

                3. Saparivaaro raajaa anvaddhamaasam antopuraa nikkhamitvaa
                naanaa-tarusa.n.da-ma.n.dita.m dijaga.na-kuujita.m uyyaana.m gacchati.

                4. "Siilagandha-samo gandho
                Kuto naama bhavissati,
                Yo sama.m anuvaate ca
                Pa.tivaate ca vaayati?" [Vism. i, 10]

                5. Bahavo Braahma.naa bahinagarato antonagaram pavisitvaa yaavadattham
                bhu~njitvaa saka-saka-gehaani agami.msu.

                6. Dussiilaa yaavajiivam akusalaani katvaa param mara.naa niraye
                uppajjitvaa atika.tuka-dukkha.m vindanti.

                7. Sambuddha-parinibbaanato vassa-sataccayena Vesaalivaasino
                Vajjiputtakaa bhikkhuu saasane abbuda.m uppaadesu.m.

                8. "Tasmi.m samaye Satthaa anupubben'aagantvaa Anaathapi.n.dikena
                mahaase.t.thinaa kaarite Jetavana-mahaa vihaare viharati, mahaajana.m
                saggamagge ca mokkha-magge ca pati.t.thaapayamaano." [Dh.A.i, 4]

                9. Cha.labhi~n~naappattaa pa~ncasatta-khii.naasavaa antovassa.m
                Raajagahasamiipe vasantaa dhamma-vinaya-sa`ngiitim aka.msu.

                10. "Tadaa Saavatthiya.m satta-manussa-ko.tiyo vasanti; tesu
                ariyasaavakaana.m dve yeva kiccaani ahesu.m: pure-bhatta.m daana.m
                denti, pacchaabhatta.m gandha-maalaadihatthaa
                vattha-bhesajja-paanakaadi.m gaahaapetvaa dhammasava.natthaaya
                gacchanti." [Dh.A.i, 5]

                New Words.

                atika.tuka (adj) very severe.
                anupubbena (adv) in regular order, in due course.
                antovassam (adv) within the rainy season.
                abbuda (m) contention, dissension. [lit] tumour.
                ariyasaavaka (m) a disciple who has attained the path.
                aaki.n.na (pp) full of, scattered with.
                kicca (n) work, business.
                gaahaapetvaa (abs) having caused to be taken.
                cha.labhi~n~naappatta (adj) one who has attained the six supernatural
                powers.
                tarusa.n.da (m) grove of trees.
                dijaga.na-kuujita (adj) resounding with [the singing of] birds.
                dussiila (adj) of bad character.
                dhammasangiiti (f) rehearsal of the Dhamma.
                nirupaddava (adj) free from danger.
                pati.t.thaapayamaana (pr.p) establishing.
                para.m (adv) after.
                parinibbaana (n) final passing away.
                parivuta (pp) surrounded by.
                paanakaadi (n) syrups and such other things.
                ma`n.dita (adj) adorned, beautiful.
                mahita (pp) honoured.
                vajjiputtaka (m) sons of Vajjis.
                vaayati (v) blows.
                vindati (v) suffers, gets.
                satta-manussa-kotiyo (f, pl) 70 millions of people.
                sama (adj) equal, even.
                samiipa (n) proximity. (adj) near, adjacent.
                samaya (m) time, religion.
                saparivaara (adv) together with the following or retinue.
                siilagandha (m) fragrance of virtue.

                Translate into Pali, forming compounds where it is possible

                1. Bimbisaara, the king of Magadha, came with his retinue to his
                garden named Veluvana to listen to the doctrine preached by the Buddha.

                2. Having heard the Dhamma, he, together with one hundred and twenty
                thousands of men, became a disciple of the Blessed One.

                3. The man whose sons are dead went to a monastery (situated) outside
                the town and made an offering of alms and robes to the monks dwelling
                there.

                4. On the next day, having prepared alms for the bhikkhus and having
                decked the town, they repaired the road by which the Buddha was to come.

                5. He said to the men, "If you are clearing this road for the Buddha,
                assign to me a piece of ground. I will clear it in company with you."

                6. But, before the ground could be cleared by him, the Buddha
                Diipa`nkara with a train of a hundred thousand saints, endowed with
                the six supernatural powers, came down into the road all decked and
                made ready for Him.

                7. Having received at the foot of a banyan tree a meal of rice-milk,
                and partaken of it by the banks of the Nera~njaraa, he will attain, at
                the foot of a fig tree, the Supreme Knowledge.

                8. The saints, four hundred thousand in number, having made offerings
                of perfume and garlands to the Great Being, saluted him and departed.

                9. While the earth was trembling, the people of the city of Ramma,
                unable to endure it, fell here and there, while waterpots and other
                vessels were dashed into pieces.

                10. At that moment the throne on which Sakka was seated became warm.

                New words.

                assigns = niyameti (v).
                Blessed One = bhagavantu (m).
                as before = pubbe, viya.
                clearing = sodhenta (pr.p).
                dashed into pieces = kha.n.daakha.n.dikajaata (pp).
                fig tree = assattha (m).
                having partaken (of it) = paribhu~njitvaa (abs).
                in company with = saha (indec).
                made ready = pa.tiyatta (pp).
                meal of rice-milk = khiirapaayaasa (m).
                on one side = ekamanta.m (adv).
                piece = kha.n.da, bhaaga (m).
                represented = upaniita (pp).
                supreme knowledge = sabba~n~nuta~naa.na (n).
                to endure = sahitu.m (inf).
                vessel = bhaajana (n).

                (to be continued...)