SV: [Pali] Re: Fwd: Faye stands with the Burmese people!

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> skrev:

      > Many Theravada monks, nuns and laity have been
      > trained in Burmese
      > meditation techniques, most notably the styles of
      > Pha Auk Sayadaw,
      > Mahasi Sayadaw and S. N. Goenka.

      Actually, Burma kept the tradition of samatha and
      vipassana alive when it was more or less forgotten in
      Ceylon, and without the reciprocal contacts between
      those two countries, I don't know if Theravada
      Buddhism would have survived until today.

      > Two of the six known Buddhist Councils were held in
      > Myanmar. The Fifth
      > Council was held in Mandalay, and the Sixth Council
      > in Yangon (Rangoon).

      My first Buddhist teacher - Sister Amita Nisatta - was
      Swedish born, but studied in Burma before the coup
      d'état in 1962. I myself got an opportunity to make a
      short visit to Rangoon in January 1980, so part of my
      heart is still there; it's a country not easy to
      forget.

      I think the important thing now is to try to keep the
      information flow open. That seems to be what's new
      this time - a "holy alliance" between bhikkhus and
      hackers...

      Gunnar

      http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

      Sök efter kärleken!