Re: [Pali] sugato, tathaagato

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 70 , Sep 5, 2002
      At 05:21 AM 04-09-02, Buddhayatana wrote:
      >I am personnally accustomed to the litteral "well-gone", which has a poetic
      >savour in it (le voyage...).
      >
      >As for Tathaagato, of course I do not want to reopen an old discussion (see
      >Buddhaghosha...) but it's "thus gone" as well as "thus come". The litteral
      >meanings and inherent polysemy of this word gives it a mysterious and
      >rather feline flavour...

      FYI, in Chinese Mahayanist texts, Tathaagata is translated as "RuLai", "Thus Come". (Neither do I want to reopen an old discussion.)

      I do agree with you on the poetical effect of "well-gone" and "thus come". I'm quite accustomed with them too.

      Both, the transcription and literal translation, are fine with me, so long as we are consistent about it, and if the transcription be chosen, a brief footnote should be added.

      peace

      Ven Kumâra
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 16, 2003
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks a lot for your help, Nina. I have done the compilation and it
        is now available here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/strans/stransload.php?page=mn062s04

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > > For "tejo", would you say that "fire" is a better word
        that "heat" as Buddhadatta explains tejodhaatu as the element of heat?
        > N: The element of fire represents the characteristic of heat,
        manifesting itself as heat or cold. Cold: a matter of degree of this
        element. It is experienced through the bodysense, also the internal
        heat. Rahula had to know both the internal and external heat, so that
        he would know: internal or external, it is the same, just an element,
        and this would help him to be less attached to attabhaava, the body.
        > Since Fire is more symbolic, I am inclined to the word heat or
        temperature.
        > But temperature may be controversial.
        >
        > > Y: Do you think that we can make use of parenthesis in this case
        to give the exploded meaning of the Pali term, such as whereby (one)
        is heated, and whereby (one) is digested (, aged and consumed)
        > N: one is not digested, but the food, that what is eaten, is
        digested. The food is consumed. But the body is aging by the element
        of heat. Thus, this way may not be so satisfactory.