DN 31 Translation - part 1

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2007
      Si"ngaalovaada-suttanta.
      Si"ngaal-ovaada - dat TP cpd, - advice to Sigaalaka
      Si"ngaala (Si"ngaal: sandhi coal) - m-a/stem - to Sigaalaka
      ovaada - m-a/stem - advice
      suttanta - m-a/stem - discourse
      Advice to Sigaalaka Discourse

      Eva.m me suta.m.
      eva.m - adv - thus
      me - 1st pers pro, ins/sg, enc - by me
      suta.m - su V, pp (imps pass), n/nom/sg - it was heard
      This is what I heard.

      1. Eka.m samaya.m Bhagavaa Raajagahe viharati Ve.lu-vane
      Kalandaka-nivaape.
      eka.m - num pro, m/acc/sg - one
      samaya.m - m-a/acc/sg - time
      bhagavaa - m-ant/nom/sg - the Blessed One
      Raajagahe - m-a/loc/sg - at Raajagaha
      viharati - vi+har I, pres act (hist pres), 3rd/sg - he was living
      ve.lu-vane - gen TP cpd, n-a/loc/sg - in the Bamboo Grove
      ve.lu - m-u/stem - bamboo
      vane - n-a/loc/sg - in the grove, wood, forest
      kalandaka-nivaape - gen TP cpd, m-a/loc/sg - in the Squirrel’s Feeding
      Place
      kalandaka - m-a/stem - squirrel
      nivaape - m-a/loc/sg - in the feeding place, sanctuary, place of offering
      1. On one occasion, the Buddha was living near the town of Raajagaha
      at a spot in the Bamboo Grove called the Squirrel’s Feeding Place.

      Metta,
      John