SV: [Pali] Request

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
      --- mandel1luke <mandel1luke@...> skrev:

      > I have a personal request for the Pali Yahoo! group
      > to do a translatio
      > of the Sigalovada Sutta, as it is a very appropriate
      > for lay people.
      > Thank you.

      The Ven. Narada Maha Thera's translation is available
      at

      http://www.bps.lk/wheels_library/wh_14.htm#sig

      and at

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html

      Another translation by Kelly, Sawyer and Yareham is
      available at

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

      There are probably more English translations made, and
      several ones into other languages (I myself made a
      Swedish translation thirty years ago, and didn't Karl
      Eugen Neumann make a complete translation of the
      Diighanikaaya?).

      Of course, no translation from Pali is ever final; but
      if the group decides to make a new one, it may be good
      to check earlier versions as well - the PTS dictionary
      is, after all, not very complete.

      The Pali text is available at

      http://tipitaka.org/romn/

      as the eigth Sutta of the third Vagga of
      Diighanikaaya.

      Gunnar

      http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

      Sök efter kärleken!
      Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
        I was involved in the translation mentioned below (Kelly, Sawyer, and
        Yareham) and when we did this as a group project at the University of
        Queensland, under the guidance of the late Primoz Pecenko, we created
        our translation with a complete grammatical analysis of every word in
        the entire sutta. If the group is interested and our moderator
        approves I can send this in instalments as messages to the list.

        Metta,
        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
          Dear John,

          I really glad to hear great progress in the Sutta Central, which Bhante
          Sujato
          spoke of to me in Singapore a few years back. It was then that I proposed to

          have Yong Peng on board.

          Yes, I would be most grateful if you could send me the word list directly.

          With metta,

          Piya

          (http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com)

          --
          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644

        • Nicki Karu
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
            Dear John,

            I'm interested too. If the moderator does not approve, would you please send it to me directly?

            Are there such translations with complete grammatical analysis of paraabhava sutta , vasala sutta ?

            with metta,
            Nicki.

            John Kelly <palistudent@...> a écrit : I was involved in the translation mentioned below (Kelly, Sawyer, and

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
                Dear Yong Peng and John,
                That is very kind. It is a beautiful sutta and good to read the Pali.
                Thanks.
                Nina.
                Op 19-sep-2007, om 23:38 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2007
                  Dear Nina and John,

                  thanks to both of you. I can see John has already started posting on
                  the Sigalovada Sutta. I already had a quick look of the version at
                  Accesstoinsight.org, and I am interested to understand the selection
                  of certain terms, such as "drinking buddies", "sleeping late",
                  "meaninglessness".

                  Please also be reminded about our next AN translation exercise on
                  November 17 (the final piece for the year).

                  That is very kind. It is a beautiful sutta and good to read the Pali.