Request

  • mandel1luke
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2007
      I have a personal request for the Pali Yahoo! group to do a translatio
      of the Sigalovada Sutta, as it is a very appropriate for lay people.
      Thank you.
    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
        --- mandel1luke <mandel1luke@...> skrev:

        > I have a personal request for the Pali Yahoo! group
        > to do a translatio
        > of the Sigalovada Sutta, as it is a very appropriate
        > for lay people.
        > Thank you.

        The Ven. Narada Maha Thera's translation is available
        at

        http://www.bps.lk/wheels_library/wh_14.htm#sig

        and at

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html

        Another translation by Kelly, Sawyer and Yareham is
        available at

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

        There are probably more English translations made, and
        several ones into other languages (I myself made a
        Swedish translation thirty years ago, and didn't Karl
        Eugen Neumann make a complete translation of the
        Diighanikaaya?).

        Of course, no translation from Pali is ever final; but
        if the group decides to make a new one, it may be good
        to check earlier versions as well - the PTS dictionary
        is, after all, not very complete.

        The Pali text is available at

        http://tipitaka.org/romn/

        as the eigth Sutta of the third Vagga of
        Diighanikaaya.

        Gunnar

        http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

        Sök efter kärleken!
        Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
          I was involved in the translation mentioned below (Kelly, Sawyer, and
          Yareham) and when we did this as a group project at the University of
          Queensland, under the guidance of the late Primoz Pecenko, we created
          our translation with a complete grammatical analysis of every word in
          the entire sutta. If the group is interested and our moderator
          approves I can send this in instalments as messages to the list.

          Metta,
          John

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
            Dear John,

            I really glad to hear great progress in the Sutta Central, which Bhante
            Sujato
            spoke of to me in Singapore a few years back. It was then that I proposed to

            have Yong Peng on board.

            Yes, I would be most grateful if you could send me the word list directly.

            With metta,

            Piya

            (http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com)

            --
            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644

          • Nicki Karu
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
              Dear John,

              I'm interested too. If the moderator does not approve, would you please send it to me directly?

              Are there such translations with complete grammatical analysis of paraabhava sutta , vasala sutta ?

              with metta,
              Nicki.

              John Kelly <palistudent@...> a écrit : I was involved in the translation mentioned below (Kelly, Sawyer, and

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
                  Dear Yong Peng and John,
                  That is very kind. It is a beautiful sutta and good to read the Pali.
                  Thanks.
                  Nina.
                  Op 19-sep-2007, om 23:38 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 22, 2007
                    Dear Nina and John,

                    thanks to both of you. I can see John has already started posting on
                    the Sigalovada Sutta. I already had a quick look of the version at
                    Accesstoinsight.org, and I am interested to understand the selection
                    of certain terms, such as "drinking buddies", "sleeping late",
                    "meaninglessness".

                    Please also be reminded about our next AN translation exercise on
                    November 17 (the final piece for the year).

                    That is very kind. It is a beautiful sutta and good to read the Pali.