Re: Fwd: pali diacritics

  • Bhikkhu Pesala
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
      There are two possible causes that I know of why your friend cannot see
      the diacritical marks:

      1. Is that they don't have the right font installed
      2. Is that they are not viewing the page with the right encoding.

      To get around it, publish the document as a PDF file from Open Office and
      attach that to the email, then anyone can read the PDF as the font is
      embedded.

      To type Pāli in OpenOffice, you need to use macros or a Pāli keyboard for
      Windows.

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Home/html/special.html

      http://www.aimwell.org/Fonts/Keyboards/keyboards.html

      Pali Test for encoding in this forum

      āīū ḷṃṇṅñṭ
    • Bhikkhu Pesala
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
        As you can see, although I typed Pali in Unicode, this forum does not
        encode them as Unicode, so what you see is a load of Unicode code-points
        instead of letters. Your friend may be having that problem in his/her
        email reader.

        Here we can use the Velthuis system to type Paa.li.
      • Dipa
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
          Thank you very much. I have downloaded the keyboard and am able to type diacritics in e-mail and in Open Office.

          metta,
          Dipa