Pali Day by Day G004 - The New Pali Course Part II

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 134 , Sep 10, 2007
      1.Sac'aaya.m kumaaro agaara.m ajjhaavasati raajaa bhavissati
      cakkavati.
      if / this / prince / [in] house / stays / king / will become /
      universal monarch
      If this prince stays in the house, he will become universal monarch.

      Sandhis:
      Sac'aaya.m = sace + aya.m

      2."Samma, idaan' aaha.m vihaara.m gantvaa thera.m tayaa kata-
      pa.n.nasaalaaya.m nisinnaka.m disvaa aagato' mhi." Dh. A. i, 191.
      {Dhammapada-a.t.thakathaa, Yamakavaggo, 1. Cakkhupaalattheravatthu}
      friend / now / I / [to] monastery / having gone / elder / [by] you /
      [in] hut made of leaves / sitting / having seen / come / I am
      Friend, I went to the monastery, I saw the Elder sitting in the leaf
      hut made by you and now I have come here.

      Sandhis:
      idaan' aaha.m = idaani + aaha.m
      aagato' mhi = aagato + amhi

      3."Svaaha.m abbuu.lha-sallo' smi,
      Siitibhuuto' mhi nibbuto." Dh. A. i, 302. {Dhammapada-a.t.thakathaa,
      Yamakavaggo, 2. Ma.t.thaku.n.daliivatthu}
      this I / removed / dart / I am
      cooled / I am / peaceful
      The dart has been removed by me, I am cooled and peaceful.

      Sandhis:
      Svaaha.m = so + aha.m
      sallo'smi = sallo + asmi
      siitibhuuto' mhi = siitibhuuto + amhi

      4."Ko' si tva.m, Bhante" ti? "Therassa bhaagineyyomhii" ti. Dh. A. i,
      143 {Dhammapada-a.t.thakathaa, Yamakavaggo, 1.
      Cakkhupaalattheravatthu}
      who / you are / Reverend / [of] elder / nephew / I am
      Who are you Reverend? I am the Elder's nephew.

      Sandhis:
      ko' si = ko + asi
      bhante' ti = bhante + iti
      bhaagineyyomhii'ti = bhaagineyyo + amhi + iti

      5."Yathaa' pi muule anupaddave da.lhe4
      Chinno' pi rukkho punar eva ruuhati,
      Evam pi ta.nhaanusaye anuuhate5
      Nibbattatii dukkham ida.m punappuna.m." Dhp. 338.
      just as / also / [in] roots / [in] safe / [in] strong
      cut / even / tree / again / only / grows
      thus / even / [in] dormant craving / [in] not removed
      is reborn / suffering / this / again and again
      Just like a tree, even when cut down, will grow again if it has
      strong and uninjured roots
      So suffering will arise again and again if dormant craving is not
      removed

      Sandhis:
      yathaa' pi = yathaa + api
      chinno' pi = chinno + api
      eva.m pi = eva.m + api
      ta.nhaanusaye = ta.nhaa + anusaya
      dukkham ida.m = dukkha.m + ida.m

      6.(1)"Ki.m suu' dha vitta.m purisassa se.t.tha.m?
      Ki.m su suci.n.na.m sukham aavahaati?"
      (2)"Saddhii' dha vitta.m purisassa se.t.tha.m.
      Dhammo suci.n.no sukham aavahaati." S.I. 426.{ Suttantapi.taka,
      Sa.myutta Nikaaya, Sagaathaavaggapaa.li, Yakkhasa.myutta, 12.
      Aa.lavakasutta}
      what / here / wealth / [of] man / highest
      what / practised well / happiness / brings
      faith / here / wealth / [of] man / highest
      dhamma / practised well / happiness / brings
      What is here a man's highest wealth?
      What brings happiness if practised well?
      Faith is here a man's highest wealth.
      Dhamma practised well brings happiness.

      Sandhis:
      ki.m suu' dha = ki.m su + idha
      sukham aavahaati = sukha.m + aavahaati
      saddhii' dha = saddhaa + idha

      7."Tasmaa-t-iha, bhikkhave, eva.m sikkhitabba.m: paññaavuddhiyaa
      va.d.dhissaamaa' ti." A.i,157. {A'nguttaranikaayo,
      Ekakanipaatapaa.li, Kalyaa.namittaadivaggo}
      therefore / here / monks / thus / should be observed / [with/through]
      growth of wisdom / we will prosper
      Therefore monks, the following should be observed here: "We will
      prosper through the growth of wisdom."

      Sandhis:
      Tasmaa-t-iha = tasmaa + iha
      va.d.dhissaamaa' ti = va.d.dhissaamaa + iti

      8."Tayo' me, bhikkhave gilaanaa sa.mvijjamaanaa lokasmi.m, (...)
      tayo' me gilaanuupamaa puggalaa." A. i, 1208. {A'nguttaranikaayo,
      Tikanipaatapaa.li, 3. Puggalavaggo, 2. Gilaanasutta.m}
      three / these / monks / sick people / existing / [in] world / three /
      these / similar to patients / persons
      O monks, these are the three kinds of sick people which can be found
      in the world, ... these are the three persons similar to patients.

      Sandhis:
      tayo' me = tayo + ime

      9.A.n.da.m rakkhantii kikii' va, vaaladhi.m rakkhanto camarii' va,
      tumhe' pi saadhuka.m attano siila.m rakkhatha."
      egg / protecting / blue jay / like / tail / protecting / yak / like /
      you / also / well / your / virtue / observe
      Like the blue jay protecting his egg, like the yak watching his tail,
      you should also correctly observe the precepts.

      Sandhis:
      kikii' va = kikii + iva
      camarii' va = camarii + iva
      tumhe' pi = tumhe + api

      10."Tato na.m sukham anveti.
      Chaayaa' va anapaayinii." Dhp. 2.
      therefore / him / happiness / follows
      shadow / like / not leaving
      Therefore happiness follows him like a never departing shadow.

      Sandhis:
      chaayaa' va = chaayaa + iva

      11."Yaavatak-v-assa kaayo, taavatak-v-assa vyaamo." D. iii, 1449.
      {Diighanikaayo, Mahaavaggapaa.li, Mahaapadaanasutta.m,
      Dvatti.msamahaapurisalakkha.naa}
      as much as / [of] this / body / that much / [of] this / fathom
      His body is as big as a fathom.

      Sandhis:
      Yaavatak-v-assa = yaavatako + assa
      taavatak-v-assa = taavatako + assa

      12."Na-y-idha nacca.m vaa giita.m vaa
      Taa.la.m vaa susamaahita.m." Dh. A. iv. 67.{ Dhammapada-
      a.t.thakathaa, 24. Ta.nhaavaggo, 7. Cuu.ladhanuggahapa.n.ditavatthu}
      no / here / dance / or / song / or / music / or / well performed
      There's no dance, neither song nor music that is well performed here.

      Sandhis:
      Na-y-idha = na + idha
      susamaahita.m =
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf