Pali Day by Day G001 - The New Pali Course Part II

    Message 1 of 134 , Sep 4 8:11 AM
      Exercise 1
      Translate into Pali, forming Sandhis where it is suited

      1. One of my friends gave me a book when I went to the village.
      eko / mayha.m / mittaana.m / desi / ma.m / potthaka.m / yadaa /
      aha.m / agami.m / gaama.m
      Mayha.m mittaana.m eko potthaka.m ma.m desi, yadaa aha.m gaama.m
      agami.m.

      2. All beings disappear casting off their bodies at the end of their
      lives.
      sabbaa / sattaa / vinassanti / vijahitvaa / tesaana.m / kaaye /
      ante / tesaana.m / jiivitaana.m
      Sabbaa sattaa (tesaana.m) kaaye (tesaana.m) jiivitaana.m ante
      vijahitvaa vinassanti.

      3. The girls brought blue and red flowers and gave them to their
      mother and father.
      ka~n~naayo / aanetvaa / niilaani / pi / rattaani / pupphaani /
      desu.m / taasa.m / maataapitarana.m
      Ka~n~naayo niilaani pi rattaani pi pupphaani aanetvaa taasa.m
      maataapitarana.m desu.m.

      4. The ten fruits brought by the father are divided among the sons
      and the daughters by the mother.
      dasa / phalaani / aaha.taani / pitaraa / honti / bhaajitaa /
      antare / puttesu / ca / dhiitusu / maataraa
      Pitaraa aaha.taani dasa phalaani puttesu ca dhiitusu ca antare
      maataraa bhaajitaa honti.

      5. There were many seats prepared for the monks in the monastery of
      Jetavana.
      ahosu.m / bahuuni / aasanaani / pa~n~nattaani / bhikkhuuna.m /
      vihaare / jetavanassa
      Jetavanassa vihaare bhikkhuuna.m pa~n~nattaani bahuuni aasanaani
      ahosu.m.

      6. Formerly there was a great calamity by disease to the people in
      Ceylon.
      puraa / ahosi / mahanto / rogupaddavo / purisaana.m / la`nkaaya.m
      Puraa la`nkaaya.m purisaana.m mahanto rogupaddavo ahosi.

      7. "It is not so, brethren," said the Elder Saariputta to the
      bhikkhus.
      no h'eta.m / aavuso / aaha / saariputtatthero / bhikkhavo
      "No h'eta.m aavuso"ti Saariputtatthero bhikkhavo aaha.

      8. The Great Elder said to the villagers: "Tomorrow we shall go to
      Saavatthi."
      mahathero / aaha / gaamavaasino / suve / maya.m / gacchaama /
      saavatthi.m
      Mahathero gaamavaasino "Maya.m Saavatthi.m suve gacchaama"ti aaha.

      Please correct me if there is any mistakes.

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf