Re: SV: RE: [Pali] sammaditthi

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
      Here are some more thoughs on samma.

      1. The basic sense of sammaa comes from the prefix 'sa' or 'sam'

      2. Sa is derived from sad or sat meaning true; real and the other meaning is 'one's own'

      3. Thus the meaning of samma in the most general sense is true and false

      4. In English there are many ways of representing this. True, False, Right, Wrong, Complete, incomplete and 1 and zero, What belongs to one what does not belong to you and so on; the collection and what is not the collection

      5. In Buddhism, samma is used virtually all the above senses.

      6. The shade of meaning that has to be used has to be determined from the context.

      7. Words have meanings only within a context

      8. Usage in Dhamma can be broadly classified under: real and unreal (ontological), right and wrong (ethical) or skilful and unskilful

      9. The Sanskrit equivalent of sammaa is 'samyak'

      10. Meanings are given in Monier Williams

      With Metta

      D. C. Wijeratna

      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Dear Larry and friends,

        what I understand is that the N8P (Noble Eightfold Path) transcends
        right and wrong. It is often known to be aryan or noble. On the
        practicality of N8P, it avoids the extremes, it is neither "left" nor
        "right", but "middle", hence it is also known as the Middle Way.
        However, that is when the entire N8P is taken as a whole.

        When we break it into components, such as "sammaditthi", 'right' is a
        good translation for 'sammaa', as Gunnar has explained.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, mahasangha2000 wrote:

        I am researching the concept of "sammaditthi" which I understand often
        to be translated into "Right Understanding" or "Right View."
      • joseph
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2007
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumaara Bhikkhu <yg@...> wrote:

          > I agree that 'right' is not the best translation for 'samma'. It's
          rather stuck though. :-)

          > For 'samma', I prefer perfect, complete, full, etc.
          > just as in sammaasambuddha: perfectly, completely, or fully self-
          enlightened one.

          Hello friends
          Samma and the idea of the wholesome is off course, in our case, the
          Indian thought expression.
          Now there is an emphasis not on originality or subjective
          interpretation of what is right or even of what is the path, but an
          exact confrontation with the reality of one's approach which (and it
          will sound strange to western ears), consists of the key
          word `conformity'.
          That is one finds exactly the same moral and
          psychological `perfection',
          The same understanding, the same Dhamma.

          Although the twentieth centaury taught us the dangers of `blind
          obeisance', we must bear in mind the context of a life of a Bhikkhu,
          and the utter dismissal of any other kind of identification, most
          notably the complete absence of any national or group preference
          apart being a follower of the Buddha,
          Seems that there is an enormous amount of transparency in everything
          we think nowadays.
          I do believe the same goes for the lay followers as well.
          I may sound tedious, but
          About two years back mentioned the subject and, again ,
          conforming, the 'same' in the Indian context does mean perfecting as
          the path is found'
          so the SammaSambudho' 'matches the requirements of the lineage of the
          Buddha, just as the path limbs are exact, complete, special
          phenomena, see the 'forty' in the lesson of the great forty'
          MahaCatarisakaSutta'.

          Metta
          Bhikkhu Jothiko
        • joseph
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 13, 2007
            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:
            > what I understand is that the N8P (Noble Eightfold Path) transcends
            > right and wrong.

            Hello friends

            1. the path must begin with a tandem development of mundane right
            view
            which include good Kamma, I guess as merit making and right
            intention including Metta = friendship.

            it all seems to me to suggest goodness, even reading Metta as
            nothing different than 'love your friend as yourself'.
            if it doesnt ring well,
            there's 'the lesson on the similie of the saw' KakucupamaSutta'
            which may also serve as a definition of how by 'taking care of
            others,
            one takes care of himself',
            if it all sound as the religeon you have tried to avoid as
            hypocratic,
            please remember that 'any religeon
            that include the eight fold path is a good religeon'

            2. there's an article by J.R. Carter: 'beyond 'beyond good and evil''
            in Buddhist Studies -SaddhaTissa memorial 84,
            where he analyses this expression.
            a notable feature in the article is the distinction, based on a
            quote of Prof. Pemasiri, between Kussala and Punna,
            mainly that an Arahat will neither
            generate merit= punna even by good deeds,
            nor can path attainment be conceived directly
            as an intended result = vipaka.
            but the wholesome =kussala certainly serves as a definition.
            the article conclude that , indeed, it is more of a difficulty of
            english language and western tradition then a theravada one.
            it is dangerous to separate the Blessed one and the Dhamma from a
            notion of goodness.

            Metta
            Jothiko Bhikkhu