SV: [Pali] pali alphabet translation

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
      --- senecainvestments23
      <senecainvestments23@...> skrev:

      > Hope that someone can help me please. I need a
      > phrase in english
      > translated to pali with pali text. If anyone knows
      > or can help me I
      > would greatly appreciate it. This means so much.
      >
      > "All that we are is the result of what we have
      > thought"

      The text is the first line in the Dhammapada, and the
      translation is an old one, perhaps not quite accurate.

      The Pali text is:

      manopubba"ngamaa dhammaa

      The literal meaning is more or less:

      Mind (mano) goes (gama) before (pubbe) the phenomena
      (dhammaa).

      Gunnar

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
    • Ruwan Rajapakse
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2007
        I have found the following translation.

        Mano pubbangama dhamma
        Mano settha mano maya
        Manasa ce padutthena
        Bhasati va karoti va
        Tathonam dukkham anveti
        Cakkam va vahato padam Dh 1

        The meaning of this stanza is:
        Mind is the forerunner of all actions.
        All deeds are led by mind, created by mind.
        If one speaks or acts with a corrupt mind, suffering follows, as the wheel follows the hoof of an ox pulling a cart.

        Hope that helps..

        with mettha

        Ruwan

        Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote: --- senecainvestments23
        <senecainvestments23@...> skrev:

        > Hope that someone can help me please. I need a
        > phrase in english
        > translated to pali with pali text. If anyone knows
        > or can help me I
        > would greatly appreciate it. This means so much.
        >
        > "All that we are is the result of what we have
        > thought"

        The text is the first line in the Dhammapada, and the
        translation is an old one, perhaps not quite accurate.

        The Pali text is:

        manopubba"ngamaa dhammaa

        The literal meaning is more or less:

        Mind (mano) goes (gama) before (pubbe) the phenomena
        (dhammaa).

        Gunnar

      • Sabba Nazhand
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2007
          Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

          Ruwan Rajapakse <ruwanr2003@...> wrote: I have found the following translation.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2007
            Dear Sir

            I am not an expert. Has some knowledge in Pali.

            Thanks

            Ruwan

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
              --- Ruwan Rajapakse <ruwanr2003@...> skrev:

              > Mano pubbangama dhamma
              > Mano settha mano maya
              > Manasa ce padutthena
              > Bhasati va karoti va
              > Tathonam dukkham anveti
              > Cakkam va vahato padam Dh 1

              That is without the diacritics, and with some wrong
              separations. In Velthuis it should be:

              Manopubba"ngamaaa dhammaa
              Manose.t.thaa manomayaa
              Manasa ce padu.t.thena
              Bhaasati vaa karoti vaa
              Tathona"m dukkham anveti
              Cakka"m va vahato pada"m

              Gunnar

              Fly(g) från regnet - sök efter resor hos Yahoo! Shopping.
              Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här:
              http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html?partnerId=96914052
            • Gunnar Gällmo
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
                skrev:

                > Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you
                > know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

                There is no such script. Pali texts have usually been
                written in the local scripts, such as Sinhala,
                Burmese, Thai, and Khmer.

                The same was true for Sanskrit until less than three
                hundred years ago, when Devanagari was finally adopted
                as standard Sanskrit script.

                Gunnar

                Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
                Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325
              • Sabba Nazhand
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
                  Gunnar,

                  You are a great help! I am learning more and more each day. I am going to be in an art show soon for a fund raiser, and I think Thai would be the closest resemblance for my translation. Any Ideas where I can get that?

                  skrev:

                  > Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you
                  > know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

                  There is no such script. Pali texts have usually been
                  written in the local scripts, such as Sinhala,
                  Burmese, Thai, and Khmer.

                  The same was true for Sanskrit until less than three
                  hundred years ago, when Devanagari was finally adopted
                  as standard Sanskrit script.

                  Gunnar

                  Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
                  Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                  http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325

                • "Kåre A. Lie"
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
                    At 08:11 10.08.2007 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Gunnar,
                    >
                    > You are a great help! I am learning more and more each day. I am
                    > going to be in an art show soon for a fund raiser, and I think Thai would
                    > be the closest resemblance for my translation. Any Ideas where I can get that?

                    I have the Bangkok edition of the Tipitaka in Pali, Thai script, and I can
                    easily scan a page and send it to you. Just to make sure (I have not read
                    every message in this thread ... sorry!), it is the first verse of the
                    Dhammapada? Right?

                    Yours,

                    Kåre A. Lie
                    http://www.lienet.no

                  • Sabba Nazhand
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 11, 2007
                      Kare,

                      Thank you so much, the verse is:
                      "All that we are is the result of what we have thought"

                      Thank you again,
                      Sabba Nazhand