pali alphabet translation

  • senecainvestments23
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6 8:41 PM
      Hope that someone can help me please. I need a phrase in english
      translated to pali with pali text. If anyone knows or can help me I
      would greatly appreciate it. This means so much.

      "All that we are is the result of what we have thought"

      I would love to see what it looks like with pali script and text.

      Thank you guys soo much
    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 10:39 PM
        --- senecainvestments23
        <senecainvestments23@...> skrev:

        > Hope that someone can help me please. I need a
        > phrase in english
        > translated to pali with pali text. If anyone knows
        > or can help me I
        > would greatly appreciate it. This means so much.
        >
        > "All that we are is the result of what we have
        > thought"

        The text is the first line in the Dhammapada, and the
        translation is an old one, perhaps not quite accurate.

        The Pali text is:

        manopubba"ngamaa dhammaa

        The literal meaning is more or less:

        Mind (mano) goes (gama) before (pubbe) the phenomena
        (dhammaa).

        Gunnar

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • Ruwan Rajapakse
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9 5:24 AM
          I have found the following translation.

          Mano pubbangama dhamma
          Mano settha mano maya
          Manasa ce padutthena
          Bhasati va karoti va
          Tathonam dukkham anveti
          Cakkam va vahato padam Dh 1

          The meaning of this stanza is:
          Mind is the forerunner of all actions.
          All deeds are led by mind, created by mind.
          If one speaks or acts with a corrupt mind, suffering follows, as the wheel follows the hoof of an ox pulling a cart.

          Hope that helps..

          with mettha

          Ruwan

          Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote: --- senecainvestments23
          <senecainvestments23@...> skrev:

          > Hope that someone can help me please. I need a
          > phrase in english
          > translated to pali with pali text. If anyone knows
          > or can help me I
          > would greatly appreciate it. This means so much.
          >
          > "All that we are is the result of what we have
          > thought"

          The text is the first line in the Dhammapada, and the
          translation is an old one, perhaps not quite accurate.

          The Pali text is:

          manopubba"ngamaa dhammaa

          The literal meaning is more or less:

          Mind (mano) goes (gama) before (pubbe) the phenomena
          (dhammaa).

          Gunnar

        • Sabba Nazhand
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9 9:41 AM
            Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

            Ruwan Rajapakse <ruwanr2003@...> wrote: I have found the following translation.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9 4:31 PM
              Dear Sir

              I am not an expert. Has some knowledge in Pali.

              Thanks

              Ruwan

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10 1:31 AM
                --- Ruwan Rajapakse <ruwanr2003@...> skrev:

                > Mano pubbangama dhamma
                > Mano settha mano maya
                > Manasa ce padutthena
                > Bhasati va karoti va
                > Tathonam dukkham anveti
                > Cakkam va vahato padam Dh 1

                That is without the diacritics, and with some wrong
                separations. In Velthuis it should be:

                Manopubba"ngamaaa dhammaa
                Manose.t.thaa manomayaa
                Manasa ce padu.t.thena
                Bhaasati vaa karoti vaa
                Tathona"m dukkham anveti
                Cakka"m va vahato pada"m

                Gunnar

                Fly(g) från regnet - sök efter resor hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här:
                http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html?partnerId=96914052
              • Gunnar Gällmo
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10 1:32 AM
                  skrev:

                  > Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you
                  > know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

                  There is no such script. Pali texts have usually been
                  written in the local scripts, such as Sinhala,
                  Burmese, Thai, and Khmer.

                  The same was true for Sanskrit until less than three
                  hundred years ago, when Devanagari was finally adopted
                  as standard Sanskrit script.

                  Gunnar

                  Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
                  Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                  http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325
                • Sabba Nazhand
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10 8:11 AM
                    Gunnar,

                    You are a great help! I am learning more and more each day. I am going to be in an art show soon for a fund raiser, and I think Thai would be the closest resemblance for my translation. Any Ideas where I can get that?

                    skrev:

                    > Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Would you
                    > know how to write in Pali Script/alphabet.

                    There is no such script. Pali texts have usually been
                    written in the local scripts, such as Sinhala,
                    Burmese, Thai, and Khmer.

                    The same was true for Sanskrit until less than three
                    hundred years ago, when Devanagari was finally adopted
                    as standard Sanskrit script.

                    Gunnar

                    Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
                    Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                    http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325

                  • "Kåre A. Lie"
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10 4:45 PM
                      At 08:11 10.08.2007 -0700, you wrote:
                      >Gunnar,
                      >
                      > You are a great help! I am learning more and more each day. I am
                      > going to be in an art show soon for a fund raiser, and I think Thai would
                      > be the closest resemblance for my translation. Any Ideas where I can get that?

                      I have the Bangkok edition of the Tipitaka in Pali, Thai script, and I can
                      easily scan a page and send it to you. Just to make sure (I have not read
                      every message in this thread ... sorry!), it is the first verse of the
                      Dhammapada? Right?

                      Yours,

                      Kåre A. Lie
                      http://www.lienet.no

                    • Sabba Nazhand
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 11 10:47 PM
                        Kare,

                        Thank you so much, the verse is:
                        "All that we are is the result of what we have thought"

                        Thank you again,
                        Sabba Nazhand