Re: Meaning of Dhamma

  • ruwanr2003
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 5 8:05 AM
      Dear Ong Yong

      My understanding was all Chinese Buddhist books were Mahayana. Are
      there Chinese Theravada canon available? If so it was translated
      from a Pali version of Sri Lanka or a version from India. If the
      Chinese Theravada version was a translation from an earlier Indian
      version, has someone done any research to compare the Sri Lankan
      version and that one?

      Regards

      Ruwan
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

      > Dear Nina and Gabriel,
      >
      > allow me to add my points after some thoughts.
      >
      > Very commonly, dhamma refers the Buddha's teachings, as in "Buddha,
      > Dhamma, Sangha", 'dhamma-vinaya'.
      >
      > However, as one starts reading the Tipitaka in Pali, one would
      realise
      > that dhamma is a word with multiple meanings. If we read the
      Tipitaka
      > in English, the word dhamma would hardly exist, as it would have
      been
      > translated into one English equivalent or another. The same is not
      > true for Chinese translations. Chinese translators are more loyal to
      > the original texts by retaining very much more of the Indian
      > vocabulary in their translations. This resulted in the blossoming of
      > Chinese commentaries and subcommentaries in all shapes and sizes, it
      > also makes the Chinese translations a highly reliable source for
      > understanding the original texts, many of which no longer exist,
      today.

      > In a passage like "Tasmi.m khopana samaye dhammaa honti, khandhaa
      > hontii"ti, the dhamma(s) refer to the khandha(s).
      >
      > In Buddhism, an individual is made up of rupa and arupa khandhas.
      The
      > rupa khandhas can be further divided as elements of earth, water,
      fire
      > and wind. The arupa khandhas are those of feeling, cognition, mental
      > formation and consciousness, each of which can also be further
      divided
      > into various elements. These khandhas have the common
      characteristics:
      > nissattanijjiivata (two adjectives). So, in places where the texts
      use
      > dhamma to refer to khandha, dhamma has the characteristics of
      > nissattanijjiivata.
      >
      > By saying dhamma is synonymous with nissattanijjiivata, as we see in
      > Saddaniti, etc., is merely a bold step of the ancient Pali scholars
      > solidify the Buddhist concept of anatta in living vocabulary.
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.
      >

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Lotsawanet wrote:
      >
      > 1. There are some references on dhamma implying absence of an entity
      > or living soul, without a soul. Soul here is the translation of
      which
      > pali term?
      >
      > > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/scope/dhamma

    • Lotsawanet
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 24 10:00 AM
        Dear Yong Peng.

        Thank you for your continuous attention and kindness.

        Regarding my question, it since the strictly begging related to pali canon,
        pali language and Nikaya-centrik.

        From my first email my question was simply:

        "What does the term "yogavacaro" means in pali language and pali canon?

        Also I showed a passage in the pali where it appears:

        Yogavacaro panca indriya ni avikkhepe patitthapeti..."
        (Patisambhida. 1.4.4.17.62)

        In this passage it was translated by a member as:

        "The one who courses in yoga (yogaavacaaro) causes the five senses (panca
        indriya) to be
        established in calmness/non-disturbance (avikkhepa)."

        So my question was: "Does this passage in the "pali canon" defines the term
        in the pali canon?

        Does a Bhikkhu which is coursing in yoga as mentioned above could be called
        a yogavacaro in the pali canon?

        Or the passage means someone else (not a bhikkhu or a Buddhist) that does
        this kind of practice (as the hindu yogis)?

        Then I mentioned that in Hindu the word is defined in a similar way by
        Patanjali, and in the Mahayana Buddhism too there is a definition where it
        implies someone abiding in samata and vipassana.

        Would be great if in the vast literature of pali someone well learned could
        give a direction or suggestion of reading where I can find the meaning and
        use of the word yogavacaro.

        I thank you for the list of Buddhism that you suggest, but my question here
        are strictly regarding the terms and how they are defined and related in the
        pali language.

        I am truly sorry for any confusion that maybe raised by cited other related
        terms that are used in a different context. That was just in order to show
        how this terms are not just used in the Hindu tradition but were also
        adopted by the Indian Mahayana Buddhism.

        My best wishes and regards.

        Gabriel