Re: should be translated in a different way

  • ruwanr2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      I think "extinction" is much better

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Leo,
      >
      > > Many times during my readings, I see translations with the word:
      > > distroy. For instance: distoy rebirt, ignorance and so on.
      > > Buddha is not Mara, that like to distroy someting all the time.
      > > It should be translated in a different way, without word "distroy
      or
      > > distroyed". How else it can be translated, based on Pali?
      >
      > 'Khaya' is often translated as 'destruction', and 'khayati'
      as 'desroys'.

      > http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?
      c.1:1:956.pali

      > However 'making an end of', 'cutting short' would be more accurate.
      >
      > Metta, Dmytro

    • P G Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        it would be best to pick the english word/phrase best suited to the noun
        under "khaya'

        try these contextual suggestions for translating "khaya" :
        e.g.
        nirvaana puts an end to (or just -- ends) the cycle of rebirth.
        knowledge eradicates/removes ignorance.
        death destroys the body.

        hope this helps.