should be translated in a different way

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi

      Many times during my readings, I see translations with the word:
      distroy. For instance: distoy rebirt, ignorance and so on.
      Buddha is not Mara, that like to distroy someting all the time.
      It should be translated in a different way, without word "distroy or
      distroyed". How else it can be translated, based on Pali?

      With Metta
      Leo
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Leo,

        > Many times during my readings, I see translations with the word:
        > distroy. For instance: distoy rebirt, ignorance and so on.
        > Buddha is not Mara, that like to distroy someting all the time.
        > It should be translated in a different way, without word "distroy or
        > distroyed". How else it can be translated, based on Pali?

        'Khaya' is often translated as 'destruction', and 'khayati' as 'desroys'.

        http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.1:1:956.pali

        However 'making an end of', 'cutting short' would be more accurate.

        Metta, Dmytro
      • ruwanr2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          I think "extinction" is much better

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Leo,
          >
          > > Many times during my readings, I see translations with the word:
          > > distroy. For instance: distoy rebirt, ignorance and so on.
          > > Buddha is not Mara, that like to distroy someting all the time.
          > > It should be translated in a different way, without word "distroy
          or
          > > distroyed". How else it can be translated, based on Pali?
          >
          > 'Khaya' is often translated as 'destruction', and 'khayati'
          as 'desroys'.

          > http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?
          c.1:1:956.pali

          > However 'making an end of', 'cutting short' would be more accurate.
          >
          > Metta, Dmytro

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            it would be best to pick the english word/phrase best suited to the noun
            under "khaya'

            try these contextual suggestions for translating "khaya" :
            e.g.
            nirvaana puts an end to (or just -- ends) the cycle of rebirth.
            knowledge eradicates/removes ignorance.
            death destroys the body.

            hope this helps.