Re: Carolyn Rhys Davis and Anatta

  • Chanida
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 4:45 PM
      Dear Yong Peng,

      Thank you very much for reminding us about this.

      Metta,
      Chanida
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sumano, Chanida and Ruwan,
      >
      > let me remind everyone that such discussion can easily go
      > out-of-topic. The concept of 'anatta' is very profound and is unique
      > to Buddhadhamma. Not everyone can fully comprehend it, especially if
      > person has previously acquired some presuppositions. However, it is
      > fine (in fact, more than fine) for someone not to fully understand
      > 'anatta'. It takes time, and is not a pure matter of faith.
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.
      >

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, paulocuana wrote:
      >
      > Mrs. Rys-Davids rejection of "anatta" is usually attributed to the
      > loss of her young child.
      > Apparently, she couldn't accept that there was no "soul" or something
      > that continued on.
      >
      > > I am just wondering whether she had done any writing describing
      why
      > > she came to that conclusion.

    • dipankaro
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        Dear friends in the Dhamma,
        Regarding the 'anattaa' whether sb is understood or not, we don't need
        to be care about that. No one can understand the concept of 'anatta'
        unless he/she becomes an ariyan. Because, what is said 'anattaa' is
        the 'Nibbaana' which is not be understood mere by intellectual thinking
        and phiosophical investigations, as Mrs David attempted to do in one of
        her works.
        As one of our dhamma friend has pointed out that 'anattaa' is absolutely
        unique to the Buddhadhamma. Based on individual understanding some
        other misinterprets the Buddha's teachings. It is right to say that
        whatever way or however way the concept of 'anattaa' is inerpreted, it
        is totally unique to the Buddha's teachings as before him no one else
        had proclaimed so. And besides Buddhadhamma that concept does not
        exist in any other traditions, or religiuos systems.
        your's in the dhamma,
        dipankaro