Re: [Pali] Help in Pali

  • Alex Long
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2007
      Hi Nina,
      Grateful to you 4 the translation.

      Sadhu3
      Alex

      Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
      Dear Alex,
      yoniso manasikaara.
      PED, p. 560. manasikaara: making of the mind, attention.
      Yoni: womb, origin, matrix. Yoniso: ablative: down to its origin or
      foundation, thoroughly, properly, wisely.
      Yoniso manasikaara: wise attention to an object that is experienced.
      Objects are experienced through the senses and the mind-door, and
      usually there is unwise attention, ayoniso manasikaara, with lobha,
      dosa, moha, wrong view or conceit. This is explained in many suttas.
      We have to get the message of the Sutta and be reminded of this truth.
      After seeing, even when we do not know yet what was seen, when there
      is not yet thinking about the object, there is already clinging. Or
      we take seeing for 'my seeing', not understanding that it is seeing
      which sees. But when we listen to the Dhamma and develop
      understanding there can be more often yoniso manasikaara instead of
      ayoniso manasikaara.
      Nina.
      Op 17-jul-2007, om 14:45 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven: